Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #1

Electrical problem

I have an Fleetwood excursion 2014 and we noticed light electric shock when we touch metallic elements of my motohome. It seem to be more evident on the door side and if we are barefoot we can easily feel the electricity trough our fingers. I never had a jumped braker or a burned fuse and all electrical equipments work well. I guess that a bare wire should touch the metal frame.

Did someone ever had this problem and how you found the source of the electrical problem without having to dismantle everythings.

Thanks for your help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #2

How are you hooked-up? Campground or at home. I would have the power checked, that can happen when you have a polarity problem.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yp33d View Post
I have an Fleetwood excursion 2014 and we noticed light electric shock when we touch metallic elements of my motohome. It seem to be more evident on the door side and if we are barefoot we can easily feel the electricity trough our fingers. I never had a jumped braker or a burned fuse and all electrical equipments work well. I guess that a bare wire should touch the metal frame.

Did someone ever had this problem and how you found the source of the electrical problem without having to dismantle everythings.

Thanks for your help
yp33d,
I'm not much of an electrician and, cannot really give you a target path to pursue to eliminate this issue. But, just wondering, do you experience the same slight shock with either the gen running or, shore power plugged in? I'm not sure if you did in one and not in the other would help in analyzing this situation. And, I don't know if this would help or not but, maybe, if you switched off, each circuit breaker, one by one, to see if the problem ceased or not. If it did, with one of the breakers shut off, then it most likely could be in that circuit/wiring. This is interesting. And, I'm assuming that, if you're experiencing a shock, then it should be able to be read on a meter.

So, if you were to hook up a meter, from say, a known good ground on the coach and, touch the positive probe to the same part of metal you're experiencing a shock on, what would be the reading? Hmmmm. Odd one for sure.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:34 PM   #4
Commercial Member

First, this can be a deadly condition. Unplug from shore power ASAP.

Several things can cause this with the most common being a mis-wired campground outlet, open ground, or a bad water heater element.

If not comfortable with electrical get a professional.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 07-04-2015, 09:43 PM   #5

I'm experiencing that when I hook up at the campground but i never try if it the same with the generator. I'll make the test. I don't have much knowledge in electricity but the idea to shut down breaker and check if we feel the electricity sound good.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
First, this can be a deadly condition. Unplug from shore power ASAP.

Several things can cause this with the most common being a mis-wired campground outlet, open ground, or a bad water heater element.

If not comfortable with electrical get a professional.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
He is right it can be dangerous. Most likely is going to be a bad ground. Either a broken wire or a miswired campground post.

On my tiffin I had the exact same symptoms every time I hooked it up to my 20 amp electrical outlet I used to keep the battery charged and refrigerator powered up when at home. I knew the outlet was wired correctly and I had 120 volts so I did not worry about the power monitoring not allowing the power into the coach. I just flipped off the power monitor went on. One day when I was hooking up the extension cord I ran out to the coach I noticed the ground pin had broken off the cord and was in the receptacle. I replaced the cord male connector and the problem went away. If you are hooked into a campground connector that is miswired this could be a very dangerous problem. If it happens every where you hook up then it is probably a broken ground in your cord or somewhere in the power connection circuitry.

IF it is a 2014 you should be under warranty take it back to the dealer and tell them to find the problem. Unless you hook up to the same campground and the same site every time it is probably not going to be the campground power.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First, dont test for this by feeling if you get a shock or tingle.

Your problem is that you are getting some kind of connection from a hot lead to your coach frame, or a open ground.

Do you have a ohm meter?
Disconnect from shore power, make sure your inverter is off or disconnect house batteries.
Measure for any amount if resistance between the two hot blades of your power plug and the frame. Should be infinet resistance. Finally check for low resistance between the ground pin and the frame. The common pin may or may not be bonded to the frame.

It is possible the problem is in the shore pedestal.
+1 on heater element. Turn off water heater breaker to confirm this.

Don't use shore power until it is fixed.

Dan
Old 07-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There doesn't have to be a connection from a hot (or neutral) lead to the chassis to cause the chassis to be hot. If the ground connection is broken, a large enough voltage to feel a tingle can be induced in the chassis without a direct connection. If there were a direct connection between a hot wire and the chassis, odds are you would feel more than a tingle.

Step 1: make sure you have a good ground connection. As Dan mentions, disconnect all power, and use a meter to check for very low resistance between the round ground prong on your shore cord, and the chassis and other exposed metal (where you feel the tingle.) If you don't have a low resistance connection, find the broken ground and fix it.

Step 2: if you do have a low resistance connection in step 1, Have the campground check the power pedestal.

This is a safety issue, get help if you need it.

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical