Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2015, 04:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Peashooter. Just the opposite on mine. When connecting to shore power there is a noticeable thunk when the TS kicks in. When we have lost shore power at a couple of parks you can her the TS from inside the coach. Perhaps it the type of TS we have.
I understand there are some fully electronic TS that make no sound at all.
Interesting... and I stand corrected. Thanks. :-)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 05:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Peashooter. Just the opposite on mine. When connecting to shore power there is a noticeable thunk when the TS kicks in. When we have lost shore power at a couple of parks you can her the TS from inside the coach. Perhaps it the type of TS we have.
I understand there are some fully electronic TS that make no sound at all.
If you have a surge guard, that will clunk a minute after supplying shore power.

My transfer switch clunks 20 or 30 seconds after the generator is up and running. No clunk when plugged in.

Edit;
A little research shows that some transfer switchs clunk ( connect ) after 2 seconds of shore power AND clunk 30 seconds after generator starting.
It also said that they will default to generator if it is started, even when plugged in.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:57 AM   #17

If the transfer switch is the basic relay with the coil connected to the generator then when the generator power is made available it will pull in the relay transferring power to the generator. Assuming the generator control board holds the generator power off until speed builds and the motor stabilizes there will be a noticeable delay while the generator power builds then the clunk of transfer. Basic electrical control system.

If there is a clunk on shore power there is something else transferring power. I would be looking for the transfer switch in a big inverter switching to line power or a power monitor checking the power before letting it through. If one does not have one of those devices then no clunk. One needs to understand what is there.

In the OP's case his transfer switch is working because he has power to the A/C's. That would be pulled off from the main panel before the branch circuits to the inverter. It would be a really weird non standard design to change that. That means there is a second connection between the main panel and the branch circuits. Could be built into the large inverter or a separate relay fed and controlled by the inverter.

FWIW I could throw a 45 ft DP farther than what I would trust an all solid state transfer switch. It would work fine until it failed. Too often the failure would be a short between branches. That could get pretty spectacular. I'd much rather have a mechanical relay that would just stop working.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok based on what boltdave ( The OP ) posted. His AC works that means he has power through the Power Quality Monitor if he has one and the transfer switch. He cannot reset the GFI which probably means he does not have any power to them. I have had a problem like this and have seen several posts like it. He has an inverter problem. Most inverters in the bigger coaches feed power to almost all of the receptacles. My Bus only has two that do not feed off of the inverter and one of them is for the washing machine. Depending on the size inverter he has. From what i have been able to determine if you have under a 2500 watt inverter it has one line going into it from the AC power. If you have 2500 or larger there are two ac power lines going into it. He either has a breaker tripped on his inverter ( most likely) or he has one of the AC input power lines going to it broken. That is what happened on mine someone put a receptacle into the line going to the inverter and that line had a broken wire coming out of the box. The other line worked perfectly so the Microwave which is fed from the inverter but from the side that was fed with the unbroken line worked perfrectly. All of the other receptacles are fed off of one Circuit breaker and that was the half of the inverter fed by the line with the broken wire.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you for all your input. I had a mobile rv guy check it out and as most of you said it is the inverter. Power would go into the inverter but not go out. Will probably have to send the inverter back to the factory to have it rebuilt. Telling me about the washer and dryer being off of the inverter saved my residential refrigerator from destroying all our food. Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:48 AM   #20

If you are full timing and need to pull the inverter you also need to know if it does the converter function when you are plugged in. If so you will be running on battery for a lot of things when the inverter/converter is out for repair. I would put something like a 20 Amp battery charger on the house batteries and then keep and eye on the charge level. YMMV.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:51 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltdave View Post
Thank you for all your input. I had a mobile rv guy check it out and as most of you said it is the inverter. Power would go into the inverter but not go out. Will probably have to send the inverter back to the factory to have it rebuilt. Telling me about the washer and dryer being off of the inverter saved my residential refrigerator from destroying all our food. Thanks again.
As I mentioned in earlier post their is a slow blow fuse in the inverter that can cause your problem, it is fairly easy to get to and only cost 70cents order on line. If you have a tester you can check it out to see if it is blow, a lot better than sending the whole unit off. Go to this site and it will tell you more info
http://www.xantrex.com/documents/dis...ner_manual.pdf
Old 12-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #22

Quote:
We are connected to 50 amp but I have no power from my electrical outlets! Please give me some ideas. We are full timers and can't survive like this for long. My power pole shows everything is good but no power. I can't reset my gfi plugs. Thanks in advance for your help.
2005 Winnebago Journey 39 FF
2015 Chevy Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Coaches are all wired differently. I have an inverter...that I keep turned off if not using it. My shore power does not run through it.
boltdave and Cat320

On some coaches the 120VAC power to the receptacles, (both shore and generator), "passes through" one or two circuit breakers on the inverter itself, (whether the inverter is on or off).
If those breakers are turned off or tripped the receptacles in the coach lose power.
(BTW, that is the most common cause of dead receptacles... and of GFCI receptacles that will not reset).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-09-2015, 12:12 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
You might check where your residential refrigerator is plugged in. On my tiffin you have two receptacles behind the refrigerator One is fed off of the inverter the other was originally for an ice maker I believe it is not fed off of the inverter. when the wire broke going to my inverter I just assumed the inverter had gone bad. I was on the road home from a trip. I moved the power to my residential refrigerator from the normal inverter fed plug to the non inverter fed plug and the only thing I had to worry about was driving down the road. I started the generator and used that until I got home and could empty the frig.

gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical