Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #1

Electrical problem

I have a 2001 Coachmen Mirada Motorhome. I have no 110v in the coach. The only thing working is the ac unit. I am getting 220v in the bathroom where I should have 110. Battery power seems to work. The generator doesn't power the system either. What should I check for?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #2

What are you plugged into???? If you are getting 220v unplug RIGHT NOW. You should NEVER have anything near 220 volt. Sounds like you are plugged into a mis-wired power source. UNPLUG NOW.
You might of blown out your xfer switch.
Greg

mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim418 View Post
I have a 2001 Coachmen Mirada Motorhome. I have no 110v in the coach. The only thing working is the ac unit. I am getting 220v in the bathroom where I should have 110. Battery power seems to work. The generator doesn't power the system either. What should I check for?

If you are plugged into a 50 amp plug it sounds like the neutral is not hooked up. Better unplug right away because your appliances will be getting 220 also if this is true. And will probably fry them!

Tony G.
1998 Monaco Dynasty
Old 06-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Jim,
Unplug the coach! You may have a bad neutral causing the 220 volts into the coach. Do not turn anything on or you could fry it. You have to verify that the neutral is continuous from the power pedestal, or wherever your getting your power, throughout your coach. All voltage measurements from a live leg to ground should be about 120 volts.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #5

Being a 31' coach, I would say you have a 30 amp 120 volt power supply cord, as others have said unplug immediately, though it is probably too late. The outlet you are plugged in to is probably misswired to 240 volts. This mistake is very common, because many people including "electricians" think that 30 amp plug automatically means 240 volts. Unless its in the pedastal power supply, it is unlikely it is an open neutral. A open neutral in the coach wiring if it is a 30 amp 120 volt connection will just mean nothing will work. it is a different story though if you have a 50 amp connection. If your lucky, the GFI receptacle popped and saved the TV's, but it probably fried the charger, and if left on, the a/c unit. Sorry! If it is a 30 amp check the two slots on the receptacle opposite each other, you should get 120 volts, then from one slot to the bottom slot, you will get either 0 volts, or 120 volts, then check the opposite slot to the bottom, it should read the opposite of what you got on the other one.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim418 View Post
Did you find out what the problem was?
Old 06-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too am guessing you plugged into an outlet at home or in a garage that is designed for use by a welder or dryer or other 240 or 120/240 device.

Bad move, With the 30 amp plug just because it fits does not mean it is a TT-30 (For RV use) several 240 volt devices use that same pattern and the plug fits.

THe Converter may fry, Televisions, Microwaves, Radios and the like, Even the water heater and fridge may need service following the over-voltage. Can cost quite a bundle.

Pull plug, plug in a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter and a volt meter that can read to 250 volts.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We used to have a 5th wheel. A while back the neutral came loose and joined one of the hot lines...we had 180 coming in on one line and 60 on the other. We were inside when it happened...the TV started smoking...so I unhooked real fast. Only damage was one fried TV.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:53 PM   #9

If you are in a campground and you have 220 comming from what is supposed to be 120. you have fried your stuff in your motorhome the first person to contact is a lawyer.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The open neutral high voltage issue can occur only on a 50A hook-up. Don't know if the OP has 30A or 50A

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical