Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #1

Electrical Problems

Please keep in mind, I'm not an electrician, have never played one on TV and didn't spend the night at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I have a '98 Pace Arrow 32g on a P30 chassis. I recently brought it back from storage and plugged it in to shore power in the drive and everything seemed to be fine.

Later in the same day, it was noticed that the power step was not working and both the chassis and coach batteries were drawn down. Being seven years old, I replaced the chassis battery with an identical replacement and charged the battery up before rehooking the wires. Everything seemed fine until later on when once again the step would not work. I checked the chassis battery and it was 4.7 volts. I also put the meter on the house batteries and they were 5.3 volts.

In trying to locate a reset button, I found the AUTO CHARGING and AUX START RELAY in the engine compartment electrical box to be very hot. The only way I ould get it to cool down was to unplug the shore power.

I'm about like ricochet rabbit when it comes to systemically diagnosing the problem and would welcome any advice or suggestions.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #2

Sounds like the converter isn't operating. Check that the converter is plugged in and getting 120Vac. If not, check the breakers and GFI devices.

The Auto Charging (A-C) and Aux Start Relay (ASR) should not be hot. The A-C should be warm under normal circumstances. Should be able to hold your hand on it continuously. The ASR is an intermittent duty device, only used to jumper your house and chassis batteries when trying to start. I believe the A-C would come on after the chassis battery has been completely charged by the alternator. It would then allow the alternator to charge the house batteries.

The A-C may also be operational after you plug into shore power. In that case, the BCC, battery control center, would sense that the house batteries were charged and switch it on to charge the chassis battery. It's much more common for there to be no built in chassis battery charging while on shore power.

Check the books that came with the rig first because I'm just guessing based on your posting. I wonder why there would be two relays to do essentially the same thing.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #3

Relay contacts may have welded together with a large load on the house side drawing chassis batt down. Might also be the relay is simply activated, some of those large solenoid type house/chassis connect solenoids get 130 degrees or so from coil heat, and there is a large load drawing batts down.
I'm not familiar w/your setup, but on most that have an intertie solenoid you can disconnect the battery cables from the 5/16 studs, one at a time and shove a piece of hose or something over the cable end for insulation (in other words don't allow incidental contact w/any metal as it may be a dead short from the batteries and cause serious injury or fire). then recharge & see what you get; post more here when you have more to report.

If any of the above seems beyond your skill and knowledge level, might be a good time to invoke a professional. Most of these charging problem scenarios are pretty straight forward to troubleshoot. And since you've never played one on TV....
Old 03-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I wonder why there would be two relays to do essentially the same thing.
I didn't mean to mislead you Jim. The AUX START and AUTO CHARGE relay is one unit.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #5

Thank you both for replying to my post. After thinking about the information you have given me, I disconnected both house batteries and the chassis battery from the A-C relay then plugged into shore power. The A-C relay closed and the voltage output was reading over 17 so I'm guessing that means the converter is functioning.

Next I checked the voltage of the chassis battery and it was reading 11.74v so I hooked the positive cable from the A-C relay to the battery and it gradually climbed to 11.77v

Then I separated the two house batteries and checked the voltage of the one closest to the BCC. The output was 5.87v so I hooked it back up to the A-C relay and left the meter hooked up to monitor any changes in voltage.

The only thing in the onboard charging circuit right now should be the one house battery. I will post more as this whole thing plays out.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #6

Yikes, Jim! It sounds like you have connected a single 6V battery to a 12V charging circuit. I sure hope I'm reading you wrong. The two house batteries, I believe, are 6V each. Should be wired in series to give you 12V.

It's possible that your house batteries are two 12V wired in parallel. But if they have discharged down to 5.87V, that kind of indicates they are gone. Did you check the water levels in all the batteries?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:11 AM   #7

Jim, sorry again for not giving enough information up front. The house batteries are 12v wired in parallel. They're Optima AGM Yellow Tops so there's no water level to check.

I left the one house battery hooked to the A-C relay for about three hours last night and the voltage had only increased to 5.98v. I checked the temp of the A-C relay and it was hot so I checked it with my handy dandy calibrated barbecue thermometer and the back of the housing was reading 110*. After that I disconnected everything and closed it up for the evening.

After the sun gets up, I plan to isolate the other house battery and do the same thing as I did with the first one.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:45 AM   #8

If your batteries are reading only 5 plus volts I would say it's time to shell out some serious cash. Sounds like they're great boat anchors!
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:38 AM   #9

This is a very interesting thread to read when your experience with electric is limited to " I know it works when I see fire". I was curious about the ASR? I have a 1990 Pace Arrow on a Ford chassis. Do I have this option? is it under the hood? I have read about this thing and was thinking it would be a switch on the dash? Could I trouble you guys for some enlightenment?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
If your batteries are reading only 5 plus volts I would say it's time to shell out some serious cash. Sounds like they're great boat anchors!
That's the way I'm leaning OldChief but I don't think I'm going with the $200 Optima batteries this time.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
This is a very interesting thread to read when your experience with electric is limited to " I know it works when I see fire". I was curious about the ASR? I have a 1990 Pace Arrow on a Ford chassis. Do I have this option? is it under the hood? I have read about this thing and was thinking it would be a switch on the dash? Could I trouble you guys for some enlightenment?
I don't know how the '90 Pace Arrow is setup but on my '98 there is a push button on the dash to the left of the steering column. The relay itself is located in the BCC on the drivers side of the engine compartment.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #12

Thanks Jim. I dont think I have a button anywhere on the dash that truns the starter on.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless
Thanks Jim. I dont think I have a button anywhere on the dash that truns the starter on.
The button does not engage the starter but rather it closes the relay allowing power from the coach batteries to be used to start the engine when you turn the ignition key. The button is NO and momentary.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:04 AM   #14

A spring loaded button?

Tags
electrical