Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
electrical problems

Well, we came here to cleveland ohio for a relatives wedding, but we are here for much longer than we thought. When hooking up to 50 amp shore power we had our ac working and other things, but the microwave, and lights and outlets on the passenger side were not working. Had the park owner check out the pedestal, but all was ok. We called a mobile tech. He came the next morning and discovered that our inverter was not operating. He took it out to get it serviced(a magnum) and the only service center for magnum was over 2 hours away. He went there and made sure they fixed it correctly, the fat board was no good, and now it operates fine. However when he took out the inverter, all our other power went off. So now we only had 2 outlets working in the coach and they were on the slide in the bedroom, so we used extension cords and got a lamp and a fan and our computers to work cause the tv was off too. Found out that the chassis batteries were almost dead, 6 yrs old. So he brought us two new ones and they charged up and then the microwave and outlets were working, but no ac or ceiling lights, turns out the solenoid in the electrical bay was defective. After 1 week, we finally got it all fixed. Now we will go to a truck place in bedford ohio to fix the infamous "wandering" which it only does when we go over 55. Everything should be fixed by the time we get to the rally and hoping to see all you folks.

2006 40' HR Endeavor. 2002 Corvette red covert show car. 2011 20' Cargo trailer with matching MH paint and graphics for Corvette to live in.
hit the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Funny how 1 problem reveals other problems. Hopefully you will have all fixed and operating for several years. I have been experiencing similar problems, just not on the road.
Good Luck

91 Monaco Royal Signature DP
Towed - 2012 Dodge Caravan
Cat Adjuster
DougBrsrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems everything went by handbasket at the same time.

When I had to remove my inverter for service I still had full power in the coach.. You see, I bypassed it (it, like yours is a pass through type)

one problem is the Inverter (in your case) is also very likely your converter, Since my inverter is "After market" I have a 2nd converter so I was able to keep the batteries fully fed. Without the inverter operating your house batteries were not charged, Though True DEEP CYCLE batteries such as the common six volt golf car battery can recover from the occasional "OPPS" super deep discharge.. It does damage them and there is no guarantee of recovery.. Marine/Deep cycle (Most 12 volt types).. Well They MIGHT recover.. But frankly the odds are very slim.. Starting batteries, are even slimmer.

Now the transfer switch (The solenoid in the power bay) may be what killed the inverter.

So it is possible that all this was a chain reaction of events.

I had a "OPPS" level event with my batteries the otehr day.. Accidently unplugged the primary converter ..Once I figured it out I fired up the inverter's converter module (Which I can do from inside the motor home) and so far it appears to have recovered.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote