Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #1

Electrical Problems

HELP! We have a 2001 Dutchstar with 2 slides. Yesterday 1/2 of the electrical plugins stopped working. I had a heater plugged into that circuit and obviously blew a breaker. The thing is - I can't find the C/B panel. I have one set of breakers in the bedroom and I've reset them all but nothing comes back on line. IS THERE ANOTHER C/B PANEL SOMEWHERE ELSE IN THE COACH? I don't have a plug in the inverter compartment. The C/B was not popped. I've interchanged 2 of the gfci and get the same result. I've unplugged shore power. I've gone on inverter alone and still the same result. Half of the plugs in the coach are not working. Any more suggestions would be appreciated. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Norm

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

The chances are there are breakers built into the inverter itself or in a subpanel immediately adjacent to it. I was in a similar situation to yours when I first bought our MH until I found these "secret" breakers.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check all the ground fault outlets, one is tripped. Check all of them because they hook them together in the da!!!dest order. My TV went out and the ground fault in the rear bedroom at the farthest point was the one that was tripped. Jim
Old 08-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #4

A circuit breaker may be tripped yet the handle may still "appear" to be in the "on" position. I would turn ALL breakers off. then reset them to on. If a breaker trips it also will trip to a neutral position. Make sure the handles ALL go entirely to the OFF position before reseting to "ON".
Also check to see if you have a GFI tripped someplace. Thats the recep with the two buttons in the middle. Use a pen or something to push the reset button back in.
Good Luck
Dave
Old 08-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #5

Check the reset button on the converter.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
probably convertors breakers, which like docj described are secret breakers. My friend had a bunch of outlets and also the TT fridge not working His convertor was behind the breaker/fuse panel and on the convertor he found fuses which were blown.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
I wonder if one the two main CBs that split the two legs of the 50 amp service has tripped? That would be one of the larger CBs at the top of the panel. You said 'half the electrical plugins' don't work. Do both A/Cs work? they are split on each leg of the 50 amp. Also check the prongs on the shore power plug for signs of burning. A heater can do a lot of damage if circuits aren't up to it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #8

Thanks everyone but still no fix. I've completely reset all the C/B's, I can't see any breakers on the inverter, I've removed and reset shore power, I've only found 2 gfci (one working and one not) and I interchanged them with same result. No sign of overheating or damage at the shore power. I don't have 2 A/cs. I've reset both the main large C/Bs. I have a inverter but no converter. I've looked all over and can only find the 2 gfci's I noted. There definitely is 2 circuits but I don't know where they are isolated. The inverter appears to be working properly when tested. Still hoping I'll get smart/lucky and find a panel hidden somewhere.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #9

I X2 Bob's thought. Sounds like you have lost half of your shore power. Do you happen to have a multimeter to do some checking. If not, I would invest in one. They are cheap and will save you loads of headaches and frustration.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Do you have an outlet behind the microwave? maybe it's a GFI. Of course if the microwave works, disregard above. Is your CB box labeled with which CB controls what? Perhaps one of the CBs is bad. Unplug from shore, remove the cover over the CB box and check all connections. They can work loose.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #11

The multimeter is a good idea but I'm not sure it will help in this situation. Shore power seems to be ok. I have a surge protector hooked into the shore power then to my coach. I've removed the protector and no difference. Basically I'm stuck. Thanks for everyone's help and I'm still looking and appreciate everyone's suggestions. I've checked them all out and I'm still looking.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #12

Microwave works and C/B box is labeled. I'll try uplugging and removing cover to check connections. Thanks
Old 08-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Had a similar problem. Microwave worked on an outlet, but others did not. Struggled with it for 4 hours replacing the GFI and breaker switch ultimately cussing loudly to no avail.

DW asked if there were breakers elsewhere. I said no!

Well there were.

Power went from CB Panel in bedroom, to two breakers on a wall next to the inverter in the front basement compartment, and then to the GFI just below the CB Panel in the bedroom.

Once I found and reset the two breakers in the basement next to the inverter, we were on our way. Four hours wasted.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #14

Deandec - lucky you. I've been at this for over a day and still not found the solution. I LOVE the way they wire these units. Certainly not for the end user.

Tags
electrical