Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to TXwannabe
Electrical Puzzle?

Still learning the systems side of our first class A DP, before we go to Boot Camp in Tucson next month.
Had the coach serviced last week, Oil Change/Lube & Genset Oil Change, done at a local RV Dealer.

Visited the coach today & realized none of the interior lights will work. Slides go in & out, Generator started right up, TV & Satellite work, electrical outlets work, but no interior lights or water pump either off house batteries or generator. Checked the breakers in the panel below the refrigerator, and all breakers are on.

Seems reasonable to think something was done during service to impact the lights, but not sure what?
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Check your salesman switch (usu by the door) and your 12volt breaker panel. One of the two is turned "off." \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coaches are typically wired one of two ways.. on the 12 volt side of life.
First: NO or small inverter....

Batteries---Fuse or breaker-----Switch----Distribution panel---Rest of RV including converter

Now with a BIG inverter like my prosine 2.0

Inverter--Fuse--Battery---Breaker--Switch--Rest of RV

In the first case nothing 120 volt works without shore or generator power

In the 2nd case NOTHING 12 volt works unless the batteries (AUX) are connected (ON/USE/Connected swich may be labeled any of those)

Often the control switch (not the real switch) is just inside the door.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:46 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to TXwannabe
And the winner is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Check your salesman switch (usu by the door) and your 12volt breaker panel. One of the two is turned "off." \ken
Yep! 12 volt cutoff switch, or as Ken said, "the salesman switch" was off.

Having had the coach only 5 months, had seen the switch but wasn't aware of just what its purpose was. NOW I know.
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

While salesmen use it as a convenient way to shut down all the lights they had on when showing the coach, it's real purpose is to disconnect [almost] all the house electrical system so that the batteries don't drain as fast while the coach is stored (not in use). The proper name is the House Battery Disconnect switch. You probably have another somewhere to disconnect the chassis battery as well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:11 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I use mine as a light switch. When ever we go someplace at night, I turn on a few lights and then when exiting the door, I turn off the salesman switch which will turn off all the lights. When we return, I simply turn the salesman's switch back on and viola, lights on inside. No fumbling around trying to locate a light switch in the dark!

Same thing during the winter months when i have the coach in storage. Removes most of the 12 volt drain on the batteries, but lights up the coach when I go in the door.

Really handy switch.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
I use mine as a light switch. When ever we go someplace at night, I turn on a few lights and then when exiting the door, I turn off the salesman switch which will turn off all the lights. When we return, I simply turn the salesman's switch back on and viola, lights on inside. No fumbling around trying to locate a light switch in the dark!

Same thing during the winter months when i have the coach in storage. Removes most of the 12 volt drain on the batteries, but lights up the coach when I go in the door.

Really handy switch.

Ron
lanerd
The "salesman switch" may be a "handy" light switch..... (but only if you don't care that the fridge, water heater, furnace, etc, are OFF while you are gone).

However, if you going to need a "cold fridge", "hot water" and/or "heat in the coach" when you return best leave the salesman switch on and fumble around for a light switch when you return.

BTW, my salesman switch has never been turned OFF during the 14 years I've owned my coach.

Mel
'96 Safari, 137k miles, (110k mine)

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 01:01 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The "Salesman Switch" will also disable your power drivers seat, at least on my Monaco La Palma it does.

Picked my coach up from service provider and couldn't move the seat. Finally discovered they had turned it off.

I had it taped in the "On" position because we had to reset the microwave clock every time it was turned off. Taped that baby really good this time!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
lanerd
The "salesman switch" may be a "handy" light switch..... (but only if you don't care that the fridge, water heater, furnace, etc, are OFF while you are gone).

However, if you going to need a "cold fridge", "hot water" and/or "heat in the coach" when you return best leave the salesman switch on and fumble around for a light switch when you return.

BTW, my salesman switch has never been turned OFF during the 14 years I've owned my coach.

Mel
'96 Safari, 137k miles, (110k mine)

Mel
'96 Safari
Mel, don't know what to tell you, but my fridge runs just fine with the salesman switch off (just checked it to make sure). As far as the water heater, don't really need it while we are gone unless we have the dishwasher going while were away (we have an endless hot water heater anyway so we get almost instant hot water when we need it). Also, no need for the furnace to be running if there is no one there (don't think that would be a good idea anyway).

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical