Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2013, 06:28 PM   #1

Electrical Question

We are finally getting underground power to my RVport (new word not a garage more like a carport). A licensed electrician is doing the work, BUT he is the first to tell you he know nothing about RVs. He purchased the receptacle through a RV source. After reading some of the threads I made sure it was correct for a motorhome. We are going to use the 30amp service that services our well. The electrician will tie into the 30 amp line prior to the well so the RV will have continuous service as the well is only live when the tank needs filling. (I hope I’ve explained that correctly) We would prefer to run a separate 30 or 50 amp line but due to other structures and constraints it is not possible without tremendous cost.

My question: The RV will be set like it is at many campgrounds for the 30 amp service. There will be very limited use of power in the RV but when we do use it ….If the basement HVAC is on and the well comes on…both being on the same 30 amp service is there a chance of damage to the RV or well or will the breaker kick and that is all that will happen?

The electrician thinks the breaker kicking or a dimming of RV interior lights but I want to be sure. The basement AC is a bigger issue than the heat.

Thanks for your expertise on this...

lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is the start and running power consumption of the pump?

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #3

Not being an electrician, I would say that the worse thing would be the breaker would trip. I was hooked up to 30 amp at a campground and tried using the micro wave while both A/C units were on and all that happened was the campground breaker tripped. No harm done.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
If I had to bet your well is setup with a 30 amp. breaker and the amp. draw on the wire is going to be in the mid 20 amp. range, so yes, if using you rv shut down your well so it does not come on.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #5

New Electrician

No disrespect to your electrician, but he should be able to calculate all of these things, if he truly is an electrician. You should never knowingly set up an electrical situation where an overload can occur. Without knowing your situation, and because I am a master electrician, you need to get a second opinion from another electrician, not one of his buddies, but a real electrician. Last thing you want to do is burn down your rv or your home... That sounds like where you are headed, just based on your description..
Old 08-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
What is the start and running power consumption of the pump?
I'll check that out.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
No disrespect to your electrician, but he should be able to calculate all of these things, if he truly is an electrician. You should never knowingly set up an electrical situation where an overload can occur. Without knowing your situation, and because I am a master electrician, you need to get a second opinion from another electrician, not one of his buddies, but a real electrician. Last thing you want to do is burn down your rv or your home... That sounds like where you are headed, just based on your description..
X2; my last sticks & bricks had a 240V well pump. Does your so-called electrician know that your RV only uses 120V?
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
This is a real, Georgia licensed electrician that is has done many new homes and commercial jobs. He has been an electrician for over 30 years. His company is well respected. I can not think if he thought for one second that there was a chance of fire he would consider doing this.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Again, when your well or anyone's is installed (I have a well and the pump is 240 vac) the breaker is installed to operate the pump and nothing else. I find it hard to believe a licensed electrican would tap into the wires on a water well to run a service for a persons RV. I would go another route for power if it were me.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Most well pumps are 220v. If your RV is wired for 30 amp service major problem if he wires the rv outlet for 220v. Will toast most everything electrical in the RV. The rest I'm sure he understands.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First. I always recommend if you are hiring the job done put in a 50.. Why... Well less likely he will mess it up.

Now... IF he uses wire heavy enough (I am very fond of "one size larger" by the way) then if the Basement A/C kicks in and trys to draw like 40 amps on a 30 amp line the breaker will trip. Then the lights will dim (Since they run on 12 volt and will now be seeing 12.5 instead of 13.6) till you reset the breaker.

There will be no damage to the RV

Damage to the RV, by the way, would be to the motors in the air conditioner. and would only happen if the electrician uses wire too small for the length of the run so the voltage drop is excessive.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #12

thank you for your replies, I will go over all of the issues noted with the electrician before we go any further with this.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Make sure the well Pump is NOT a 240 Volt system. Most every well pump I know of in my area run on 240 volt power. If you hook that up to your RV you will let a lot of the Magic Smoke out of a lot of your equipment. A RV 30 Amp plug is 120 Volts only. Make sure your electrician knows that.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer268 View Post
Make sure the well Pump is NOT a 240 Volt system. Most every well pump I know of in my area run on 240 volt power. If you hook that up to your RV you will let a lot of the Magic Smoke out of a lot of your equipment. A RV 30 Amp plug is 120 Volts only. Make sure your electrician knows that.
x18
Pump is 240v, 30amp RV outlet is 120v.

TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical