Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2014, 09:35 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are you in Coffeyville, Ks working for Amazon. If so I stayed at the campsite you are probably out on my way back from a trip to Iowa. I also heard that Amazon was closing that facility down.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2014, 09:42 PM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This looks like it might be a useful website to tell you more about your management system.
RVcruzer.com Electrical Tutorial - Chapter 12 - Energy Management

Old 11-27-2014, 09:57 PM   #45
KIX

ON our coach the water heater breaker must be on for the EMS to see 50 amp. If water heater breaker is off then the EMS will only show 30 amp connection.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:09 AM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
You say you are using heat pumps when its cold. You know they don't work below 40 degrees very well or at all. Yu need to use your gas or aqua hot when its that cold? I know this doesn't solve the electric problem but you won't be cold.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #47

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would move to another site or ask the neighbor if you can hook up to his pedestal for a few minutes. If the problem follows you, it's your problem. If the problem goes away, it's the parks problem.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Duck View Post
You say you are using heat pumps when its cold. You know they don't work below 40 degrees very well or at all. Yu need to use your gas or aqua hot when its that cold? I know this doesn't solve the electric problem but you won't be cold.
Actually our heat pumps work all the way down to 28 degrees. I did not expect them to do that but they still blow warm air. Down to about 35 degrees they are the only things we use to Heat our coach. At some point they cut off and the furnace comes on but evidently that is around 25 degrees or so. I have had it do that but not sure what temp it was just that it was below 28 degrees.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:42 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
I have my thermostat set on Elec heat however when it is too cold for the heat pump,like now it switches over to my furnace. I also run the separate furnace for the bedroom at night on a low setting.
My electric hot water works fine, and as I have noted before all breakers are on unless there are some located someplace other than under the bed.
Everything works, although I have not tried using the microwave/convection oven as a convection oven, it works ok as a microwave. The only challenge is that the PMS will start shutting the refrigerator etc off when I exceed 30 amps. If I am cognizant of that and stagger running my heavy load appliances, fireplace etc I operate fine, just want to figure out why no 50 amp service and what caused the problem. The final answer will probably have to wait till I get to Florida as we are working 6-10hr days at Amazon so right now it is sleep, work, eat, sleep etc repeat as necessary.
Again thanks for all of the comments, suggestions, and informative dialog, when I resolve I will post the solution here.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:30 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
Again thanks for all of the comments, suggestions, and informative dialog, when I resolve I will post the solution here.
I may have missed it but have you actually tried another pedestal as mentioned by CHIEF02 ??
Old 11-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Things just Don't add up. When you say everything works,50 amps on the Gen, then you have power again 240 50 amps at the panel box on shore power. Are you saying at the panel/breaker box IN the MH on the MH side of the transfer switch or the power panel you plug into? In other words, did the electrician check for the 240/50amp at the MH's breaker box also? If this is the case then something very weird is happening IE; you have 50amp on both shore and Gen but the system says 30 amp. This just doesn't make sense. Please clarify when you have time.

LEN
Old 11-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Things just Don't add up. When you say everything works,50 amps on the Gen, then you have power again 240 50 amps at the panel box on shore power. Are you saying at the panel/breaker box IN the MH on the MH side of the transfer switch or the power panel you plug into? In other words, did the electrician check for the 240/50amp at the MH's breaker box also? If this is the case then something very weird is happening IE; you have 50amp on both shore and Gen but the system says 30 amp. This just doesn't make sense. Please clarify when you have time.

LEN
Yup ... this is one of those "it would be nice to be there" (well.. except for the cold part) situations. It's also possible to have correct voltage but insufficient current carrying ability ... for example, a cord with only one intact strand can still have correct voltage. I'm really not sure what an EMS would do with that when it tried to transfer.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #53

I am curious about this discussion because I have the same problem and it is not from the pedestal because I have plugged into several 50 amp rv parks and my panel always displays 30 amps on shore power. Please update when you find a solution to your problem.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #54

Rexhall Owners Group
I have been following this for a few days. I may have missed it but have you checked the voltage at the breaker panel inside the coach? If the transfer switch id "bad" you could have proper power at the pedestal but not get proper power to the circuit breakers. My EMS needs 240VAC applied to two terminals to indicate 50 amp service. If this input is missing the EMS will indicate 30 amp even if 50 amp is available. My EMS is make by Intellitec and is possibly not similar to yours.
Just another thought.
Hope you find the problem.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a similar issue a while back - I have an Autoformer permanently installed in a bay that was plugged in when I installed it, and never touched for about 5 years. One day I couldn't get the 50A light to fire up so I started troubleshooting. The pedestal was working, but I had only 30A showing on the display. It turned out to be the Autoformer - the outlet on the side of the Autoformer had weakened to the point that one leg of the 120V signal was not making contact. I think I paid around $5 for a new outlet and it's been working fine ever since! I always figured that years of plugging and unplugging would weaken the contacts but never thought that they would weaken under constant pressure - live and learn!

If you don't have an Autoformer or surge protector in-line then I would look at the connections from the cord to the transfer switch - there's a loose connection somewhere that is not letting both L! and L2 into the system.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:23 PM   #56

I had this problem and it ended up being the circuit board in the energy management system. I replaced it with a new board from Colaw Salvage in Carthage MO. It cost $ 105.00 and took 10 minutes to change.

Bob

Tags
electrical, service