Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #1

Electrical service

We just came home from 4 days on a rather cool weekend. Temperatures went down to about 40 at night, highs in the mid 50's. As a result we ran the furnace or a small portable electric heater. At varying times we also ran the coffee pot, toaster, and water heater which I think is 12 volts. We have 30 amp service. On the 4th day the power went off, the big user at the time was only the electric heater. I discovered a terminal on the plug for my 30 amp service had burned off. Was this caused by too heavy a usage? My amp meter was often in the low 20s, although once I saw 29 and I turned something off. Or could it be poor campground service, there were no breakers on the pedestal.
JerryKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
For that cord to burn it was pulling very hard it could been in part of the CG service was it old and dated you said there was no breakers on the pole so what was the safety device in place to protect your unit besides your breakers onboard, you were running at 80% most of the time and at times 90% that makes that cord very hot and I don't like the portable heaters they pull a lot of amps so it might been a combo of all of it to cause the failing of the cord
Old 10-08-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
paz

If there is no breaker on the pedestal, that means there will likely be a load on the circuit while everyone plugs and unplugs their RV. Repeated plugging and unplugging while there is a load on the circuit causes a small arc that will eventually cause the contacts in the receptacle build up a high resistance. The likelihood of high resistance in the receptacle and high current draw caused one of the prongs on your plug get hot enough to burn right off.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree X3
Old 10-08-2012, 06:44 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the failure point is in the plug portion of the cord, then my guess would be a high resistance (loose) connection in the plug. Over time, bolted or crimped connection can loosen causing a high resistance (heat), and with a heavy draw, eventual failure. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:54 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
paz is right on the money. Recepticals get plugged in almost daily. The wear and tear plus arching, causes them to get loose and results in high resistance. The only thing to add is, make sure you keep your power cord plug clean and smooth so it does not add to the problem.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I would NOT stay in a place that didn't have breakers on the pedestal. Thats just asking for trouble... very expensive trouble.

It wouldn't even be up to code in any state that I'm aware of.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
In some cases a bad connection behind the pedestal outlet wiring will heat up the outlet and then burn out a pin on the plug. Happened to me on my
former gasser. When you see a bad old pedestal,keep the load as light as possible and find a better CG.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For some reason 30 amp plugs seem to do that, in 7 years I've gone through 3 of them (Different cords and times) I would replace the plug and not worry too much about it.

In many parks the 30 amp outlets are well worn, thus resistance increases due to poor contact, People plug in with the breakers on (And unplug) causing archign with further damages the outlet (Always turn off before inserting/pulling the plug (The breaker in the box) This causes the plug to do what yours did.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #10

I have also replaced the plug (30A) on our cord for overheating. Would you all recommend using a 50-30A adapter to use a possibly less worn 50A pedestal plug ?
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #11

Makes sense to me, Thanks
JerryKatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, service