Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2016, 05:39 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Electrical waste water opener

Talk about a peu-paw mistake. On our maiden trip, we were doing fine with the new black water dump system the coach came with. Push the button and it opens the gate. Works great until you forget to close it up again. I had flushed the tank until it ran clear. Gathered the hose up making sure I had turned off the stinky end lever. Tucked it back in to the space. Off we went to our next stop. Set up and two days later we were smelling odd odors around the coach. Being somewhat suspicious, I started circling the outside sniffing as I went. Then I noticed that some thing was dripping down underneath the coach from the wet bay. The lever had done a pretty good job of holding back solids, but it was loosing the war on the liquids. After a Quick yell for my DH, we started to clean up the mess. After a quick dump to clear the line, another flush to insure the solids weren't ganging up on the out let due to low pressure, we attacked the rest of the mess. A garbage bag full of sopping wet paper towels, multiple applications of concentrated bleach and alot of water, we finally got the inside of the bay sanitized to my satisfaction. Plus I took several layers of sand up where the drip had been and added a healthy dose of bleach water to what appeared to be a clean level. We now ask each other if the button has been pressed to close the handy black tank gate. A lesson learned the hard way, but we do like the push button. Also added a large zip lock bag around the stinky end connector for extra protection. Hopefully this learning episode will never happen again. We laugh now, but it wasn't to funny at the time. Saw the article in the IRV2 newsletter on the electrical waste water gates and had to share.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2016, 05:47 PM   #2

FWIW I think that is a feature that I would put in the negative column.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:32 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It actually is a nice feature. Our other coaches had the blade type and since I equally dump if not more often appreciate the difference. I some times had trouble pulling the blade due to the angle and having a slide over the top of me. Leads to pangs of discomfort in the lower back. Being able to push the switch and once more after finishing is nice. The main thing to remember is the second push. That is,where I got into trouble the first time I dumped by my self. I thought it closed automatically. My mistake!
Old 07-07-2016, 09:49 PM   #4

I get the convenience. My issue is that with a handle there is a clear indication of the valve state. Considering the inconvenience of not having it is the proper state I see that indication as significant. I would want at least an indicator light that the valve was open.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:09 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Actually, an electric gate valve is a very nice feature. It has a red light that goes out when the valve is closed. Our Dutch Star has a small black tank (40 gallons) and needs to be dumped often. I added the electric gate valve and two switches. One is inside the coach and can be easily operated when the tank is full. I primarily added it because I didn't want to run out at midnight to dump a black tank. Our toilets wont flush when the tank indicator says it's full.

What I found was an added bonus. When we get ready to break camp, I open the valve from inside the coach, turn on my macerator (also has a switch inside) and dump both tanks while I'm prepping the inside of the coach for travel. Once I fire up and bring in the slides, all I have to do is disconnect my water, power and SaniCon hose, about 3-4 minutes and I'm done.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:57 AM   #6

my best learning has always been by 'doing'... hence the following similar story:

After many thousands of travel miles and many dumps, and as a 'pro' at this by now, I connected my hose and dumped. I just forget to connect the other end.

yuck.

live and learn : /

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, water