Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #1

Electricity consumption?

I realize this is not an easy question to answer so a ballpark number would be sufficient....that being said, I plan to spend some time in my motorhome parked on a friend's property plugging in to her electric. I am a single occupant. Can anyone provide me with a fair guess about how much her electric bill might increase?
RVBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBaby View Post
I realize this is not an easy question to answer so a ballpark number would be sufficient....that being said, I plan to spend some time in my motorhome parked on a friend's property plugging in to her electric. I am a single occupant. Can anyone provide me with a fair guess about how much her electric bill might increase?
Might be good to include some details. Type of RV, location, do you have heat pumps, elec. or propane HW.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The big issue here is AC or no AC.
If your camper uses propane for the stove, heat, and maybe even hot water, your other electrical usage should be pretty low. I am guessing maybe a dollar or two a day. $30 to $50 a month. Just a guess.
I would also guess that the cost may double if you are running air conditioning a lot.

There are members here that camp seasonally and pay their electric directly. They will be able to give you a more accurate idea of cost than I can.

Good Luck
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
On the road our KW usage tends to be about half what it is at home. In any case your usage will probably be be less than hers - so I would so just pay half of the bill.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
How much ¢¢ does she pay per KW?
Ballpark guess. $75-90 a month. That is running AC or electric heat.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
unless you are plugged into a 30 or 50 amp outlet you will not be able to run much in the rv, so I would say not very much. $ wise I do not know.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #7

When parked in AZ during the winter we use between $35 to $45 a monthy and we occasionaly using an electric heater for supplemental heat. If you run your A/C much that number will go up. In AZ or NV that could be easily be $300/month in the summer.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just paid my $85.00 electric bill in a park in Rockport Texas that charges 16 cents per click. Had to use the furnance and electric heaters a couple of times. Don't use electric heaters unless necessary. In 6 winters in south Texas, our bills ran from $34.00 to $106.00 a month. Eddie Elk.
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi RVBaby,
I rent RV lots. A luxury (Newell, etc.), all electric coach will run about $150/month. My coach runs about $90/month. I run all electric as much as possible. Propane is a PITA to refill.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We typically use from 250 KWh to 350 KWh per month with no AC use.
Multiply that by the cost per KWh to get dollars.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is like asking how big is BIG. You can use $25.00 per month or $200 plus. It all depends on how warm you like it and how big is the trailer and how cold it is outside.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #12

you didn't say how you're pluged in 15amp 30amp 50amp ??? but you could get a kilowatt meter so you know how much you're using. google the voltage (120 or 240) and kilowatt meter.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #13

I am in a similar situation with water. I am going to pay 100% of the water bill because it is really a win/win and I want to be invited back. I feel if I was at a campground how much would I be paying. Anything less than that is a win.

To be nice about it make sure your friend does not feel ripped off. I may offer to pay 75% of the bill just to cover that perception. 50% might also make sense. I would not offer less than 50%.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #14

Take them out to a real nice dinner
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote