Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #15

You've obviously not had the "auto-park" problem in Motorhomes with a Chevy chassis, the P30 in my case. Now when it happened to me - just a month ago, I went into a classic rant, but not against Winnebago but Chevrolet. Parts have just arrived for a fix so will be taking my RV for a fix, but now I'll be worried its going to happen again.

When the auto-park problem happens, your unit is locked up, you can't move it, where ever that problem manifests itself, for me at a Chevron gas station.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I can only conclude this is the reason you see proffered so often “find the floor plan you like first and foremost”! Since most all of you like your motorhome, then the floor plan is it, if you don’t like the way its set up, you will not be happy with the coach!
Regarding your above conclusion....I highly disagree.

IF you can afford any RV and choose, for instance, a Thor (shorter to spell) over a Newmar (we've partial) because the Thor has the best floorplan, that's my question. . . . . .Why would you choose a lesser 'quality' one just for a floorplan? Again, I stated 'IF' you could afford either.

I think every manufacturer has a floorplan that you could really live with happily. The floorplan is no good to you if the RV falls apart around it.

On another note, I totally agree that some owners can be highly satisfied with any RV out there. They lucked out on getting a trouble-free one.

On these forums and the owner's forums, you won't see a post titled "I have no problems". Those without problems don't initiate posts. They many contribute to them though.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 04:11 PM   #17

I'll sort of second what TwoGypsy has said.

But first, let me set the record straight.

All of these other coach owners are wrong. You see, I know for a fact that Country Coaches are the best possible coaches available! Everyone else has been watching the upcoming election news cycles too much - and have damaged the cells between their ears!

Now, please pay no attention to about 7+ years ago, when you would have seen me posting about the virtues of our first Class A, yes sir, back then - it was a known fact that the 1998, on a 1993 F53 Chassis, Bounders were the best coaches available!!!

=======

(Sorry, but I do agree that the majority of owners do feel their current rigs are the best available. And heck, not knocking them!)

=======

To TwoGypsies comments. Manufactures have different pecking orders of models, from entry to their top end. And usually, the higher you go up that pecking order, the better the quality of the overall coaches. I also have an opinion, that some manufactures 'Entry Level' coaches, are better then many other manufactures mid level or higher coaches. For example, a Newmar Dutchstar, I feel is a better coach then say a Thor Tuscany. (Very generalized comment, and I did not specify specific size or trim level or year of either of these two used as an example. I have stated before, and believe it, that Thor seems to be improving both design and quality. Big difference from say 5-7 years ago.)

So OP, when looking, I do recommend you consider the quality of the coach. IMO, a higher quality coach, as long as you like the layout and it meets your needs - will provide you both a more satisfying owners experience, less problems due to workmanship and or lesser quality materials and or components - and return a higher level of resell value down the road.

I prefer higher quality oder used coaches, over newer less quality built coaches.

But for sure, opinions vary!

Now, let me tell you about the very best car built....

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:27 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The title of this thread made me smile. The humorist Lewis Grizzard wrote a book by that title many, many years ago...
Old 09-15-2016, 07:41 PM   #19

Hi patti, he was a funny funny guy as was the book! And Smitty with an opinion, who knew? I don't know about that older, more expensive, better coach stuff anymore!

Take the Forest River Berkshire for example. That coach has things you don't even see on most $400,000 Motorhomes. Combine that with a 12 month warranty and a company known to take care of their cuatomers, it ain't bad! You also get new electronics and that's a big deal now days.

In your response be like Elvis and "Don't be Cruel"! Thank you - Thank you very much!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hi patti, he was a funny funny guy as was the book! And Smitty with an opinion, who knew? I don't know about that older, more expensive, better coach stuff anymore!

Take the Forest River Berkshire for example. That coach has things you don't even see on most $400,000 Motorhomes. Combine that with a 12 month warranty and a company known to take care of their cuatomers, it ain't bad! You also get new electronics and that's a big deal now days.

In your response be like Elvis and "Don't be Cruel"! Thank you - Thank you very much!

Well, my opinion - is opinions will vary! Case in point...

And I'll use the Berkshire as an example.

New Berkshire? Vs say $250K for a used Foretravel, Entegra, Newmar. Or even older Country Coach Magna/Affinity, Monaco Executive/Signature, Beaver Marquis. Or even a bit older Newell or Prevost based, say Marathon??? Well, also my opinion, just 5 years down the road, and those other higher quality built units, will be much more satisfying to own then a 5 year old Berkshire.

But as my DW explains to me all the time, and not being a fast study of a Smitty - I just have not 'got it yet' - not everyone agrees with my way of thinking. (Go figure!)

And Elvis is for sure alive. Heck, him and his hound dawg are orbiting us now - eating fried peanut butter and banana sandwich's. Just look to the left of the Blue Velvet Shoes constellation, you'll spot the music symbols of Elvis.

Fun post, and yeah to many of your statements!

Best,
Smitty
Old 09-16-2016, 04:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
New Berkshire? Vs say $250K for a used Foretravel, Entegra, Newmar. Or even older Country Coach Magna/Affinity, Monaco Executive/Signature, Beaver Marquis. Or even a bit older Newell or Prevost based, say Marathon??? Well, also my opinion, just 5 years down the road, and those other higher quality built units, will be much more satisfying to own then a 5 year old Berkshire.
First, I certainly agree with you on what I consider a key point in this helpful discussion. Secondly, pride of ownership is an important consideration for us. As our MH ages, we'd like for it to continue to shine so to speak.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I'm in Smitty's camp as well. Those that claim they're all the same once they're parked might as well buy a tent. An entry level Class A is not even in the same universe that Elvis and CC Magna orbit in. Nor is its Spartinliner chassis within 40 parsecs of a RR10S/Dynomax/Foretravel chassis. Folks with such indifferent tastes might as well eat horse instead of cow as they both have four feet.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Well, my opinion - is opinions will vary! Case in point...

And I'll use the Berkshire as an example.

Best,
Smitty
Wow Smitty, I can't agree with that at all! I have a 2004 Chevrolet Trail Blazer and if you didn't know better you'd think its new with a 150,000 miles on it! And what about that more expensive coach you've just put 5 more years on. What does it look like?

My 5 year old Berkshire has been tended too and maintained by me. How many owners has your now 10 year old coach had and how well was it REALLY taken care of? You really don't know do you but guess what??? I know all about mine!!!

Come on Smitty, stand up for the home team. Elvis may put you into the "Heartbreak Hotel" so come Scotty can't you just once he his "Teddy Bear"?
Old 09-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #24

WyoFree - No worries here from me.

I'll point out that you are seeming doing exactly what you stated - where whatever an owner owns, is forgiven any sins, and is fondly thought of!

And for sure, buying used, you never really know. But, I've been on too many RV Dealers lots with new coaches, where the batteries are let to go dead (And then before resell, charged back up and passed off as in great shape.). I also went and test drove a new Monaco Dynasty, and as soon as we reached highway speeds, I noted a pull to the right. Salesman said not to worry about it, that during the PDI they do full alignment (Sure they do!). I turned around at the first off ramp and returned to the dealer. The front tire was at 60 PSI, causing the pull. That is now a compromised tire, and much more likely to have blowout concerns down the road. Finally, again on a new coach, I fired up the generator as I wanted to hear how loud it was. It started, but with such a rack it noise that I shut it down within 30 seconds. No oil was in the generator... So, these are just examples, that even buying new - no guarantee that you are getting a rig that has not had the concerns of proper care that you mentioned. (I always thought if ordering new, that factory pickup would be the way to minimize this kind of problem.)

On my current coach? Well, as I mentioned, I bought this off consignment, from the first owner. He was a 'get in and drive' kind of guy. He would have the dealer that he bought the coach from, come pick it up and take it in for yearly service, including wash and wax. I was able to have all records printed out to review. Only 12.9K miles on this 4-5 year old coach when I bought it, the low mileage was my first concern. But reviewing the yearly maintenance records, and then talking to the salesman that sold the coach to the owner (Different then the salesman I had asked to help me find a coach.), knew that the owner had bought it to go back and forth between San Diego and Fresno for home Football games. So while low, the usage was consistent for a good part of the year. He and his family, only took one camping trip, to the Grand Canyon. Their were systems in the coach that had never been used!

Part of the sales agreement, discounted and absorbed by the owner, was for 8 new tires of my choice and credit for front shocks. (Not a problem with the shocks themselves, on this specific year and model, the OEM Koni SP1 Adjustable's, were not robust enough to handle the IFS.) Before wrapping the deal up, I had Cummins Cal Pacific do a Dyno test of the engine, and full inspection of the chassis, and pulled engine and transmission fluid samples for analysis.

So what? Well, even though used, I feel good due diligent by competent inspectors, and fluid analysis - can go along way to determine if their is any significant problems. I also mitigated the unknown on the tires, by starting out with new shoes all around. (IMO - Buying a used coach, even with younger tires, the single largest risk area is the possibility of a coach running on under inflated tires for a period of time. No one can tell by looking at them...)

And again, please don't get me wrong. Entry, Mid or High End coaches - all serve a purpose. What is right for one person, may not be for another. I enjoy sitting next to a Prevost on one side, and I'll say a Bounder on the other (As we sure enjoyed our used Bounder.). I talk to the people of both coaches the same way. As we're all RV'ing, and the is what it is all about!

And come on to you too! Even though you know the history of your coach, and have taken good care of it. Would you not be torn if somehow you could trade it straight across for a higher end (Fill in your liked coach here.) rig? (Assuming it met your needs layout wise. And passed inspection well.)

I'm going to go spin some LP's now, and sign off on this thread. Again enjoyed it and your heading was great! And again, no worries - very glad you like your coach. I like ours too.

!

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Old 09-16-2016, 11:47 AM   #25

Rexhall Owners Group
Elvis is not dead ... He just went back to the planet he came from !

Interesting thread though. Some of you guys have way too much time on your hands. I don't because I am rebuilding a 20 tear old class A from the ground up. What an education on how not to take care of a MH. So when you see an old Rexhall roll in, that will be me ... In about a year ... LOL
RolandRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #26

Smitty that was a terrific post. It's not often we read a post telling us what you did and why you did it. Thank you for that!

When I first started looking for a motorhome I was looking for a diesel and was told to buy a used diesel. This way someone else took the big depreciation hit and they go through the break-in period of new coach ownership.

Then I read about getting documentation, having the coach surveyed, have a lab check the engine and transmission oil and on and on. Finely my wife said "If we're doing this and you're planning on me joining you. I want a new coach"! That ended the used coach consideration immediately. We all know the story about Mamma and being happy!

I was also having trouble finding a floor plan in a used coach that I wanted. So many had your basic couch on one side, couch on the other, TV at one end and TV at the other end above the drivers station. Not a thing wrong with that, it just wasn't what we wanted.

Then I was convinced that Newmar was the coach for me to buy. It has the comfort drive, great fit and finish and everyone agrees, one of the best you can buy! After awhile I finely had to admit to myself, it's not the coach I want. The Ventana LE doesn't have the floor plan we want and although the interior is very nice, its really not our taste! But I'll admit we'd buy the LE if it had our floor plan or they would have added a fireplace for us.

Thats when I started asking questions about different coaches who had floor plans we liked. I sent dozens of private messages to people who have these coaches and that is what started this post. People genuinely like the coach they purchased. They were very honest with the good the bad and the ugly. But when all was said, they liked what they have and would buy another one if their circumstances didn't change.

That really opened my eyes to other possibilities. I went through the normal Gas vs Diesel stage and diesel won that battle! And once I understood that you can actually buy a coach that is not named Newmar and Tiffin I was able to take in the full length and breath the different coach builders had to offer. Its been great fun and thanks to you guys I've learned soooooooo much about not only motorhomes! I've learned about tire pressure, proper way to handle the dump station, how to wash your coach and what to use and on and on, all good stuff!

It's been a journey and has been an interesting and fascinating ride and I think you all for that!
Old 09-16-2016, 08:29 PM   #27

So....what are you going to buy?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:37 PM   #28

Did Elvis ever own a Blue Bird?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote