Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2016, 05:58 PM   #1

Elvis is dead and I don’t feel that good myself - The Coach Wars!

The last few months I’ve been paying more than casual attention to “The Owner’s Corner Forums” and the “Class A Motorhome Discussions” here on good ol IRV2. As well as the Class A discussions on other forums. Spending special attention to what folks say about their coaches, what’s gone wrong with their coaches and advice their seeking about their coaches.

You know what I found out? People like whatever coach they have with few exceptions. Many who are looking to buy something different, for the most part, say good things about the coach their moving out of. And that too is good news and encouraging to others who may be looking for that kind of coach.

I’ve even sent a private message to many folks with many different coaches and to the person they like their coach from American to Thor. I say Thor because I can’t spell Winnebago! Everyone has had issues now and again with 98% of them saying nothing big! By far the majority that did have a major problem, the problem was reasonable remedied. I’ve even seen those who rail against their coach and coach builder come back, for the most part saying, “ok, got it fixed and are on our way”!

Some have said they purchased a coach knowing it had a questionable reputation and have been very happy with it. Those who say they have had very bad luck with their coach are in the minority. Some get a lemon and it has to be a terrible thing to deal with when you buy something for relaxation! Thankfully it doesn’t seem to happen that often.

I can only conclude this is the reason you see proffered so often “find the floor plan you like first and foremost”! Since most all of you like your motorhome, then the floor plan is it, if you don’t like the way its set up, you will not be happy with the coach!

Or have I gone off the reservation? I am in line for corrective moccasins!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 06:15 PM   #2

I can only say you're late for his funeral.

Comfortable in the RV, IS first and for most.
99% of the time anything that does go wrong can be dealt with a little help from the other members here in the forums.
Although there are many members here , we're probably only a small % of RV owners.
Do others just visit and find their answers , or are they having no problems at all?

I think I need to apply for a LARGE government grant, to find the answers.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:31 PM   #3

Every one is welcome to their own personal opinion. And... Everyone has one.

It still comes down to "What works for you - personally. " Your life style. Your thing, specifically.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:37 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just because someone has had few to many problems does not mean you will. Many ignore problems, some complain a lot, some have to have everything perfect. I can fix almost anything and read much here, only as a resource. I record these sources, So that I will NOT have that problem.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #5

Yes it's a huge advantage to have the ability to do a lot of things on your own. I'm not necessarily all that handy but I can learn and there seems to be a video for everything. I'd also rather do what I can than have someone else in my coach. I'll also know when I do it it's done right!

My hope of course is once it's fixed it stays fixed!
Old 08-26-2016, 07:21 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
WyoFree:

One thing that I have noticed is that some people are more meticulous about their motorhomes than others. Some people aren't bothered by a squeaky screen door, a small scratch in the paint, or a compartment door that does not line up perfectly square when closed. Or even about keeping their site around their RV neat and tidy (sorry).

If you are the kind of person who is meticulous (and I know that I am guilty of this) then you will find more things that draw your attention within your own coach AND also to other people's coaches. It's a flaw that some of us RVers have (a Compulsive RV Cleaner/Fixer kinduv thing) that may lead more to writing and talking about such imperfections, at least in our eyes, that to others might go unnoticed. You may have also noticed that some RV owners appear to be perfectionists which takes the ownership conversation to a whole different level!

YMMV,

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:46 AM   #7

The Bumps-ter,

Thanks Ken, and I'd plead guilty to that as well. I want everything working as it should and a rattle or things that go "bump" in the night have to be attended too! Squeaks, rattles, wind noise, something out of true, ahhhhhhh! Inside and outside my coach will be right and tight!

We have no way of knowing how folks are on this subject and We know some coach builders do a better job of fit and finish than others. I was just surprised that most folks are pleased with their coach regardless of who built the coach.

Yes Tiffin and Newmar have an excellent reputation for quality build. But that said, Coachman and Thor owners are quite happy with theirs as well.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:53 AM   #8

What's been known here for years is that the majority of people who own a coach will go out of their way to like it and overlook the small things that go wrong. Which is as it should be. These "Box Homes" on wheels aren't perfect and have a lot of potential problems just waiting to happen. Some more than others. What might be a problem to one person is just a small bump in the road for another. My wife says I'm anal on certain things, and she's right. I insist on properly maintained tires, drive train, load distribution, and an occasional wash job. I don't care if there is a rattle or a door doesn't shut quite right or if I can hear rain on the roof at night.

We could probably be happy in any coach. They are what we make of them. Having owned eight motorhomes. the one important thing I have learned about their role in life is "Don't sweat the small stuff and with a motorhome, it's all small stuff".
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Or have I gone off the reservation? I am in line for corrective moccasins!
There was a thread where a owner was getting fed up with the repairs and cost. A few posters chimed in that they had the same feelings. A couple mentioned that they went to a travel trailer from a class A.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #10

I remember quite awhile ago reading a post where someone said "I'd not consider having a coach without $20,000.00 in the bank for repairs"! They were talking about a diesel pusher having a serious engine failure. I remember thinking, well that's just crazy! But the more I've learned the more I realize that was probably good advice. I can't imagine the frustration of the things that go wrong and you're on a shoestring budget. It could get maddening in a hurry!!!

We also know that from the tires to the chassis they're the same. DP's with Cummins engine and Allison Tranny and Gassers with Ford V10 and Ford tranny. The conversations about quality fit and finish start with what the coach builders build on top of the chassis!

I think you have to stay on top of things. Maybe grab a screwdriver now and again to tighten whats loose. And service the beast as the manual says. I am talking motorhome here!

How many have read the manual? I have three coaches I'm considering and have read all three owners manuals already. I asked Newmar for there's and they said they only give them to owners. But I got it anyway, shhhhhhhhh!

It seems what I've found and the reason for this thread is, and is what you guys say all the time. Find the floor plan you like and the rest will fall into place! OK, maybe not quite that easy but it's sure a good start!
Old 08-26-2016, 10:42 AM   #11

You studied enough that you know more than most of us. What are you waiting on?
Old 08-26-2016, 12:43 PM   #12

That is a fine question Dan, and you're right, thanks to you guys I've learned a bunch. I thank you one and all for that!

I'm not 100% sure of what I'm going to buy but barring a calamity of epic proportions I'll have it no later than March/April of next year. If I'm going to order a coach, some coach builders are anywhere from 12 to 16 weeks out and I'll have to take that into account.

We're coming up on fall/winter and see no reason to buy during a period I'd use the coach the least.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:03 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In a customer service class that was an elective for my management degree (talking graduation way back in 1988 = pre-internet days), the understanding was that an "average" consumer will complain in 1 out of every 2 problematic product purchase events, but compliments will only be voiced in 1 out of about 400 purchases.

Since then, the internet has only made complaining easier on websites like Yelp and Forums like this, so these numbers are surely more skewed toward the "complainer".

Therefore, I would agree with the OP...the state of the RV business is really not too bad and small things can be fixed. It is still a house flying down the highway, sometimes at hurricane level speeds

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #14

You're right Scarab, Years ago before the Internet and yes there was such a time. I remember reading a report saying every bad product letter represented over 400 people who felt the same way but didn't write in!

And as I said in my first post, folks seem generally happy with their choice. And that's a very good thing and contrary to what many would have you believe!