Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Watch Video My Business - Videos

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
That's a great video to watch! Even though our window is only 7' above the ground, I think at our age the escape ladder is still our best bet!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
After watching that video the DW is having me open the fire escape window....we've never opened it????? GREAT FORUM!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #18
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm going to practice that before the next trip.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat View Post
I know it's a pretty good drop but if I'm trapped in the bedroom with the fridge blazin' away I'll go out that window the quickest way possible.
I agree.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Just thinking....if you ease out the window and let yourself down with your arms you should touch the ground.
Not all emergency exits are created equal. The emergency exit in my Vista is located in the rear bathroom, is 2 feet wide by 1 & 1/2 feet high, and 7 & 1/4 feet from the bottom of the opened windowsill to the ground. I am NOT misleading you when I say that I've been trying to figure out how to go out that window feet first since I bought the coach in January... forget an emergency when seconds count! I've already told myself that I would allow the DW to hit that window while I would break out the even smaller window on the slide at the head of the bed (those "standard" small forward/rearward windows on bedroom slides). I'm also thinking about an emergency step stool and glass (plastic) breakage device... ahem, hammer, that I can use to just break through the plastic skylight dome in the Vista's larger than normal shower, and just come down the rear ladder, but I'm still working on that one in my mind.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post

Not all emergency exits are created equal. The emergency exit in my Vista is located in the rear bathroom, is 2 feet wide by 1 & 1/2 feet high, and 7 & 1/4 feet from the bottom of the opened windowsill to the ground. I am NOT misleading you when I say that I've been trying to figure out how to go out that window feet first since I bought the coach in January... forget an emergency when seconds count! I've already told myself that I would allow the DW to hit that window while I would break out the even smaller window on the slide at the head of the bed (those "standard" small forward/rearward windows on bedroom slides). I'm also thinking about an emergency step stool and glass (plastic) breakage device... ahem, hammer, that I can use to just break through the plastic skylight dome in the Vista's larger than normal shower, and just come down the rear ladder, but I'm still working on that one in my mind.
Well, a 5 ft tall person has at least 18 in of arm length overhead. If you go out belly down and feet first and grab the bottom of the sill and extend arms.....
I'm thinkin the extra foot of drop should not be too bad.
Personally, in the thick of absolute panic, we wont be taking the time or even thinking of a ladder, nor envision finding the rungs with our feet.
Just sayin..

Agree on the hammer.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Well, a 5 ft tall person has at least 18 in of arm length overhead. If you go out belly down and feet first and grab the bottom of the sill and extend arms.....
I'm thinkin the extra foot of drop should not be too bad.
I'm thinking you misread my previous post... I still can't figure a way to go out feet first, never mind the pressure/anxiety/priority of having a fire licking at the door while trying to do it. There is nothing on the inside to grab on while swinging the feet out the window.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you sure there isn't another window that could be an emergency exit ? They usually have red handles.
I'd be surprised if Winnebago didn't provide one.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Are you sure there isn't another window that could be an emergency exit ? They usually have red handles.
Cliff
Our new Thor Challenger has three exit windows, two in the bedroom with red handles and one in the living area that just slides open to provide a person sized hole. I looked at the back window exit from the outside, and I think it would be possible to go out the window feet first and get one foot on to the existing ladder, so maybe no additional hardware is required after all.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you reach your arms above your head, I would think that you are probably more than six feet tall...? If you climb out of the window carefully, your feet will be on the ground while you're still holding onto the window sill. When your wife comes out, you can catch her.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:19 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Cliff
Positive! As much as I love the Vista 35B, I can't figure that one out either. The rearmost leftside window in the rear bath is the only emergency window. Moving forward, you have the typical rearward facing and forward facing small windows on the bedroom slide at the head of the bed, two equally small windows at the bunks (one for each bunk), then you're in the lounge with the typical two left side sliders that are not emergency windows, but large enough to get out of. So the bottom line is that for the four sleeping occupants aft the refer, you have a single 2 foot wide by 1 & 1/2 foot high emergency window, 7 & 1/4 feet from the ground, and again, not to mention that there is nothing in the bathroom to grip or position against to go out feet first.