RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2017, 05:33 AM   #43

Sounds like I need to add checking the function of the emergency exit windows to my routine maintenance checklist for whatever unit we finally get given the info above of how often they are difficult to open or "stuck" shut.

I want to thank you all for such great inputs on this thread!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2017, 05:36 AM   #44

Good topic to get people thinking about it. I was doing some work around our E exit. I decided to try to open it. It wouldn't open. I pushed and pushed. It would move about 3/4" and stop. Ours is at the head of our bed and is hinged at the top. Went outside and got on the ladder. There were some pieces of hard Styrofoam laying in the window frame that were stopping the window from opening. I figure they were in there as part of the window, glued on the frame but had fallen off.

So... it might be a good idea to check your escape exit to make sure it operates the way it is supposed to.

funmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
Important topic thanks to the OP for bringing it up.

For those that are able, the emergency exits should work. Or you would be able to kick a window out. Our coach has several emergency exit windows.

If in the situation that someone is unable to use one of these for whatever reason maybe consider having an automatic fire extinguishing system installed. Even if only one in the engine bay area and one near the refrigerator. We spend a ton of money on these rigs as it is.

There are halon automatic extinguishers that are simple to install and only 200 each. Actually now that the topic has been brought up and knowing they are just 200 I am going to order 4 now. One for the gen set area, 2 for the engine bay and one for the refrigerator area. $800 is cheaper than anything else I think I could find to do the same job. Even if they do not extinguish the fire completely it buys some precious time. Kind of like the Pony back up bottle I carry diving. I have carried hundreds of times never needed it......but it's always there. One of those items you get and hope to never use.
Those are the areas it was suggested to me would be the high danger spots. Maybe the hot water heater as well if you use the propane option often. Our budget at the moment restricted us to the area of greatest likelihood of trouble. Hopefully this discussion will encourage all of us to be more safety oriented, especially those of us that are mobility impaired.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #46

Our emergency exit window is top hinged, opens readily & is plenty big enough to get out but the drop to the ground is probably 8 feet!

Donít have a good plan for that but if thereís time would push the bedding out first to cushion the fall. LOL

We do have an extinguisher in the bedroom as well as near the fridge but we also have one in the bathroom. Our bath has no exit except the door which is mostly opposite the fridge. If a fire broke out in the cabin, the only way to exit the bath would be risky.

Hope no one ever has to test their emergency prep.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Mac the fire guy has several videos on the subject showing how to get out properly Iíd google it and study up if also open it and use some seal lube in the gasket .. I seriously doubt it will leak .. Mac sells stuff also but the videos are great!
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:02 PM   #48

One thing to check annually is; does your escape window/door actually open. Mine was stuck shut last year, took me about 5 minutes to free the seal. That is too much time to survive an actual RV fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Our door was jammed shut....another story..... we used the exit window, passenger side. Not real easy, and a long way to the ground.
Advice. We keep a 2" pvc pipe in the slide closet runner.
1. It keeps the closet door from coming open.
2. Use it to prop the exit window open, its heavy
Also, before you go out, throw the bedspread or blanket over the window edge. The trim has ridges, and are rough.
Ya, I'll never do that again unless it's for real. I was two weeks healing all the scrapes, cuts, and bruises on my old body. I did it at the recommendation of Mac the Fire Guy. (it was only a 5' drop to ground)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:16 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
I believe Newmar started with their rear exit door on some 2015 model coaches. As of 2018, they added the ladder feature that is built into the bottom half of the door.

The exit door is now on all DPís from Ventana thru King Aire. I donít think it is yet offered on the Ventana LE and I also donít know about the gas line.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #50

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My wife recently had extensive emergency spinal surgery. I had a knee injured a few months ago. As things are right now, there is absolutely no way that either one of us can hope to climb out of that little window in the wall to fall down onto the ground to escape our burning RV. We'll die in there.

The window probably costs the manufacturer $25.00. A door would probably cost them $50.00. I'll splurge and give them another $100.00 to save our lives.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:53 PM   #51

I can think of 2 reasons to need to use an emergency exit.
1) You are driving and for whatever reason tip over on the side of the entrance door.
2) You have a fire that blocks your exit using the entrance door.

In my Expedition, the living room windows are large enough for a full-sized person to exit. The bedroom (where you might be trapped) has small louver-type windows with the rest fixed and this entire frame can be opened by flipping 2 red levers. It's hinged and from what I can tell, it doesn't disconnect upon opening at any angle.
I test these twice a year because I use a leaf blower to blast all the accumulated dust from the corners and then point it out the open emergency escape, making use of the Bernoulli effect to suck the dust out.
Just wanted to pass this on as a preparedness tip that has the benefit of resulting in a cleaner rig
One last comment: In any situation where you would have to use an emergency exit, speed is of the essence, and you may sustain some injuries dropping to the ground from that height, but it is preferable to the alternative.
Taarnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 08:55 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
Important topic thanks to the OP for bringing it up.

For those that are able, the emergency exits should work. Or you would be able to kick a window out. Our coach has several emergency exit windows.

If in the situation that someone is unable to use one of these for whatever reason maybe consider having an automatic fire extinguishing system installed. Even if only one in the engine bay area and one near the refrigerator. We spend a ton of money on these rigs as it is.

There are halon automatic extinguishers that are simple to install and only 200 each. Actually now that the topic has been brought up and knowing they are just 200 I am going to order 4 now. One for the gen set area, 2 for the engine bay and one for the refrigerator area. $800 is cheaper than anything else I think I could find to do the same job. Even if they do not extinguish the fire completely it buys some precious time. Kind of like the Pony back up bottle I carry diving. I have carried hundreds of times never needed it......but it's always there. One of those items you get and hope to never use.
Halon dump systems are not for human/animal occupied areas, this type of fire extinguisher is often used to protect valuable electrical equipment since they leave no residue.

It is also not the right system for your engine bay, these systems work best in a no draft area.

-Kevin
Old 09-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfriceman View Post
Halon dump systems are not for human/animal occupied areas, this type of fire extinguisher is often used to protect valuable electrical equipment since they leave no residue.

It is also not the right system for your engine bay, these systems work best in a no draft area.

-Kevin
I installed our halon automatic extinguisher in the outside refer compartment with the idea that when parked at night it will provide some extra time to exit the bedroom. I can see where such a system may not help much in a windy area which is probably why they are (at least mine) only BC rated and not A rated.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:45 AM   #54

Speaking of fire extinguishers. I toyed with the idea of working something like this into the fridge compartment but figured it could impede air flow.
If it didn't and worked as expected it could be quite effective in resolving fridge fires.
Apparently they are common in Europe. https://www.amazon.com/Extinguisher-...l+extinguisher
Old 09-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #55

Got the exit open finally.