Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Just a heads up, if you decide to try your window emergency exit, the complete window assembly will fall out on the ground if it's like our bedroom emergency exit.
Happy Glamping.
Found this out while using the exit window to get our w/d combo unit into the coach , just got lucky that my two helpers were on the ground outside and managed to catch it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #16

we have a huge rear window and a "gymnast" emergency window.
my plan: break rear window glass, bed spread on ledge, easily step onto bumper

not practiced, glass hammer mounted next to rear window
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
P.S. I went first, then was help DW with the drop.

X2, my thoughts exactly!

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
We practice emergency exit 2x per year, exit easily thru window and down telescoping ladder to ground. Only downfall is the ladder has to be set up and secured in place when setting up camp and taken down when time to leave. I am almost done fabricating and installing a permanent aluminum ladder that will be mounted to coach and drops down when window is opened, much like the drop down ladders on fire escapes on large buildings. So, from this post you should assume that I consider egress very Important on any motorhome.

edit
My window is hinged at top and does not fall out.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:04 PM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
This was my experience with emergency exit practice!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/escap...ks-154476.html
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
We have the big back window that pops out for emergency. Roof access ladder near it. Cannot do a drill but in an emergency it will fly out real quickly!!!

#1 consideration in any "next" motorhome. Second "like to have" is a driver's door. I like a second way out without using the one time use emergency window. I mean, what if you pull off to the side of the road and the concrete barrier or guard rail blocks your coach door?

I cannot see how the industry gets away with the tiny emergency windows in the slide outs. I tell you neither my butt nor my wife's boobs would make it out some of those windows.
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:52 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenrule View Post

I cannot see how the industry gets away with the tiny emergency windows in the slide outs. I tell you neither my butt nor my wife's boobs would make it out some of those windows.
LOL. Good one. I think the same folks that design airplane seats, design these window exits.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #22

1st trip in our new to us Newmar Venrana I was testing the br escape window...
What I found was that wirh the window awning in place the strap prevented to awning style window from openning for ventilation and prevented the emergency swing out function to operate as well.
A real safety issue in my book and one that I would gave thought RVIA would have covered being a safety issue.
I have 2 additional strap hooks and another strap I plan to add outside of the swing out openning... should prevent breaking the window mechanism to get ventilation and help in an emergency.

One tip I've read here is to place a pucnic table near your br window...at least when not being used to eat...to ease escape.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomertx View Post
I wanted to make this a separate thread in order to focus the discussion on emergency exits. During last weekend's DFW RV show we spent some time in Tiffin's, Winnebago Tour and Newmar. Since Debbie is mobility impaired we paid particular attention to emergency exits and were surprised to see how difficult most were to access by anyone other than a gymnast. Several had you climbing over cabinets in order to access and most were pretty small.

We chatted with several other "shoppers" while in the units and most had never considered the location and/or ease of access and size of emergency exits. Newmar, with their DOOR type exit really stood out in this area.

My question is, how many have you actually "fire drilled" in your units and actually egressed from your coach using an emergency exit?

Was/is emergency exit access something you considered in your purchase decision.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to hear y'all's thoughts!

Have a fantastic day!!!!
You realize emergency exits are for when the coach is not on its wheels for the most part.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #24

Fortunately there doesn't seem to be much actual emergency exit use reported. We have always carried a chain ladder for the emergency exits just in case The higher end units are showing some cases of nice escape doors with steps. Hopefully that will become more widely available. Not cheap but the old driver doors were fairly common.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:23 PM   #25

fire exits

I wrote to entegra about my concerns of an emergency exit window in the cornerstones and thought the newmar door idea was a better choice. they disagreed with me, stating that most fires happen in the rear area around the engine and that door in the bathroom was in harm's way.. with that being said I disagree with them that if you have any fire in a MH rear or front, it would be better to have a door rather than a window to get out of AND a second door rather than a window is easier on handicapped people to get out of a burning MH than climbing up and out a damned window. therefore I am not buying a cornerstone but a newmar unit. that reason alone was the deal breaker
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #26

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I want to add in here that we all have a fire extinguisher typically located at the door. What we also need is a second (and maybe third) in each sleeping area. I strongly recommend CO2 instead of dry chemical too.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #27

I've posted several warnings about emergency exits over the years and there are several design flaws that can turn a supposed life-saver into a death trap.

First are the ones that hinge upwards that provide an active impediment to getting out of the window because it is heavy and wants to close down on you just at the time you need both hands to escape or to help someone else escape. Totally stupid design that could easily be fixed by adding a gas strut or some sort of automatic locking stay -- or open it downwards and incorporate a step into its design.

The other very serious flaw is if you don't open it at regular intervals - more on that later - when you finally need it you will not be able to open it because the seals have stuck the two parts together so firmly that you will need to pound the window open all the time hoping it doesn't break. I've had a look at 5 such windows - two on my rigs and three of friends and none of them have opened without requiring excessive force that would be well beyond the physical capabilities of many typical owners.

Reason for not opening them regularly is they are VERY difficult to get closed and latched again. From the inside it requires a huge slam and real risk of chopping your fingers off. Easier from the outside but ... Some reports are that you should not open them except in an emergency - because they fall out on the ground or because they can't be closed again, or they will be forever leaking so people won't risk it.

Then there is the not trivial fact that these stupidly designed, sometime unopenable safety escape hatches are 8' off the ground, there is usually only one, and in the dark, in heavy smoke with curtains and blinds in the way, are often too small for the size of the average RVer and the latches would be impossible to find anyway
Old 09-20-2017, 07:51 PM   #28

The wife an I looked at our E window at head of the bed. It opens easy enough but the fall would kill us. We found a Dock box that was 5, feet long 2 feet high and two feet wide made by Lifetime. We place it under the window perfect to get out of MH if needed.

Box is lockable and rain tight, we store our patio chairs, cushions and or golf clubs in it. we just slide in into our Equinox tow car when moving.

Even with front seats all the way back it fits perfect It did the same in our grand Cherokee.

Blanket over window edge very important !!!
We may think about CO2 extinguisher not a bad idea.
TJ
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote