Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2013, 02:30 AM   #1

Emergency road service.

Has any one used Coach net? Just bought a motor home so I am concerned about heavy duty towing. Seems like their are several companies that do this. Any pros and cons about different companies

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2013, 04:41 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have good Sam emergency towing. They cover everywhere. I think it's $112 a year. Although you are concerned about your heavy motorhome towing. Don't be there are a lot more 18 wheelers out there than motorhomes. They get towed all the time.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Have had Coachnet for 10 years they have always been great
Old 01-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #4

Coachnet. Haven't had to use it for the MH but just after I joined, I did use it for my car (yes, they covered my car as well. No need for separate companies). Great company.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
Coachnet. Haven't had to use it for the MH but just after I joined, I did use it for my car (yes, they covered my car as well. No need for separate companies). Great company.
I have used CoachNet as well as Good Sam. They are both fine. The problem lies in the sub-contracted towing companies. Very few of them know how to properly tow a motorhome. My advice to you is to study up on the proper procedure, so that when the unfortunate time come, you will be able to walk the tow truck driver through the proper procedures. I was talking with one of the service techs at Spartan chassis, and they told me one of the biggest problems they have is subsequent damage to motorhomes that occurs from the tow, and not the original cause of the breakdown.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
My advice to you is to study up on the proper procedure, so that when the unfortunate time come, you will be able to walk the tow truck driver through the proper procedures. .
WOW!
You are probably correct, (nothing is easy with these things).
I thought it was bad enough than one has to explain, (to a $120 an hour shop), how a repair should be made.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
WOW!
You are probably correct, (nothing is easy with these things).
I thought it was bad enough than one has to explain, (to a $120 an hour shop), how a repair should be made.
Had two calls on mine with AAA RV Premier last year (one flat, one fuel leak). No issues with tow truck driver as they knew exactly what to do when towing my 40' RV , but I agree, read the owners manual so you can check. I was happy that I didn't have to explain to the driver, and I let him explain what he was going to do before I even said anything. Once done, I said that's exactly what the owners manual says

BTW, to tow mine he had to remove the driveshaft and use his compressor to put air in the air bags. Luckily my repair after towing was an $8 fuel line plus an hour labor to track it down (was tough to see under injectors)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_001646.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	32573  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ChazA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Check your insurance policy, you might already be covered.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before I made my decision I called several to just see how that goes, one did not speak English well enough for us to communicate what I needed. Bottom line I don't think you can beat Coachnet. I have used them twice, once on a car and once on my HD trike.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
I have always said that I would rather push my dead Country Coach than drive anything else. Well, I wound up being towed.

I called CoachNet just wanting a mobile service. After answering all the questions, they decided that I needed to be towed about 60 miles from Desert Hot Springs to Colton,CA. They made the appointment with Colton Truck Terminal ( that I approved of seeing as how I had done business with them before)which couldn't get me in for a few days so we sat in the campground. On the day of the tow, I was contacted by CoachNet and was told the tow would be there within 40 minutes. Approx 45 minutes later, the tow showed up. He proceeded to position the arms under the front tires, tied everything down and raised the front. He then hooked up the air line for the brakes, went under the coach and pulled the transmission yoke. We checked everything out and away we went. He never went over 55 and 60 miles later we arrived at the repair facility. He backed the coach into a repair stall and proceeded to unhitch everything. No paperwork, just a check of the VIN # and away he went. Based on the performance of the driver, he did receive a generous tip.

So, if you are in need of a tow and are in the CA desert around the Palm Springs area. I highly suggest Yucaipa Towing. Ask for Art, this guy is awsome.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Wouldn't leave home without CoachNet. Used them twice and they were great both times.

BTW try using the search feature and you will find hours of reading comparing CoachNet to Good Sam and others.

I have read good and bad about both. I do think good and bad could be more related to the local tow providers than it is to CN or GS.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have Good Sam and have been very happy with them. I have their Roadside Service as well as their extended service plan. I used them with my last Motorhome to get towed from Alpine, Texas to a transmission shop in Odessa, Tx. I couldn't have been happier with the tow and the transmission shop.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee
Wouldn't leave home without CoachNet. Used them twice and they were great both times.

BTW try using the search feature and you will find hours of reading comparing CoachNet to Good Sam and others.

I have read good and bad about both. I do think good and bad could be more related to the local tow providers than it is to CN or GS.
I've often wondered about the good/bad reviews as it relates to their tow provider networks. I have admitted this thought to a few friends sworn to secrecy - swearing I would never state it openly here. Well - here goes and mind you I have only thought this - not acted on it. Both CoachNet and GS can be purchased for around $100 each. At $200 for both a year - if network providers differ - you could call 1 and if you didn't like what your were hearing - hold please - I'll call ya right back. One tow will probably cover the cost of either or both.

Again - I have not done this but either or both at the price they ask - the service is a bargain relative to about any other expense you can dream up with these things. I don't know if there are exclusive contracts between the tow companies or not. If there is - one or the other has the best guy on contract.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote