Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #1

Emergency start button

Will the emergency start button work if the unit is plugged into house current? I have an 2014 ACE 30.1 and am new to the motorhome thing. It's been a little cold here and the coach battery died I tried to start it and everything is dead. It was in store mode but I put it in use mode and still nothing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #2

Yes

Old 12-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #3

It'll tie the batteries together, yes. But if the chassis battery is really dead, I'd suggest you hold the switch (find something to make it stay on) for a while before you crank the engine. Starter motors can draw 100's of amps. Good way to burn out the relay....

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are 3 answers, YES, Perhaps, and YES.

I will explain.

IF you had the HOUSE in Store mode and the bateries have not self-discharged or been discharged by things that do NOT disconnect when you store.. Then YES it should work

If the house batteries are also dead or very low, Then no it will not work (That is the Perhaps).

but if you re-connect (USE) the house batteries and come back tomorrow.. It should work. In fact it may not be needed depending on your isolator.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottendan View Post
Will the emergency start button work if the unit is plugged into house current? I have an 2014 ACE 30.1 and am new to the motorhome thing. It's been a little cold here and the coach battery died I tried to start it and everything is dead. It was in store mode but I put it in use mode and still nothing.
Your emergency start button should engage your emergency start relay anytime. It connects house and chassis batteries. That is what it is for. If your house batteries are charged you starter should turn over when you engage the switch. (Assuming the house batteries have sufficient charge)

Do not understand "store mode". Are you referring to the battery cutoff switch (AKA salesman switch) or other batterey disconnect switches?

You say you are connected to shore power, I therefore assume you not charging your chassis batteries, but are you charging your house batteries? Is this correct?

Some RV's are configured so the house batteries get charged first and some RVs don't have a charging systems that integrate charging of both battery systems.

Suggest you provide a bit more info on your coach.

PS saw other posts along the same line made while I was posting
Old 12-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
If your batteries were truly dead you might not have enough power to energize the solenoid that connects them together. Once you get the batteries charged, I suggest you do a little experimenting with a multimeter. Take voltage readings of house and chassis batteries when shore cord and engine off. Then start the engine and see if voltage has gone up in both battery sets. (That shows both chassis and house batteries charge on alternator.) Then shut off engine and do the same measurements with shore cord plugged in. If again both batteries show 13+ v then both are charged on shore cord. If both chassis and house batteries don't show charging on engine or shore cord, you may want to invest in a B.I.R.D. or some other system to interconnect battery groups.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #7

Thanks

Thanks to all
As it turns out all the batteries are dead. The unit is plugged into 110 but not charging the batteries.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #8

Are your house batteries turned off with the "salesman switch" ? It doesn't seem like the house batteries should be dead if you are plugged in.
tompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #9

there is a switch by the door that says use or store. It may have been put in the store position as it is next to the outside light. I did try to put it in the use position but it doesn't click or make any sound so I'm not sure it is working.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottendan View Post
there is a switch by the door that says use or store. It may have been put in the store position as it is next to the outside light. I did try to put it in the use position but it doesn't click or make any sound so I'm not sure it is working.
Easy to check if you have enough battery to trigger the solenoids. When the switch is in the 'use' setting, check for continuity across the large posts of the solenoid. If no flow, your solenoid is bad or not closing.

If you are plugged in to shore power, leave the battery isolation switches on. If on shore power your batteries die, check the converter/charger for tripped circuit breakers. The CB could be on the sides or hidden, they aren't usually in the fuse panel with the other 12 v house fuses.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #11

Thanks Bob
I put a charger on the motor battery and the switch worked. I was able to get the house batteries to charge and the motor battery charged also.
Dan