Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2018, 11:44 PM   #1

Emergency start switch

So my chassis battery died as I left my ignition on for several hrs by accident and now when I push the button I hear the solenoid click I checked the operation and it does pass the power from one side to the other so I'm a lil lost and I'm wondering if the the battery wire is even connected right as I purchased the coach in this condition so at this point I'm ready to just run a cable from the battery to the emergency solenoid was just looking for some advice I did jump a wire from the solenoid to another solenoid and did get power that's how I figured that the switch was working input guys? Right now I'm dead thank god my house batteries are fully charged and my generator is still active if I need it I want to tackle this while the battery is dead instead of charging it up 1st
Arricejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2018, 12:19 AM   #2

Are you holding the button to connect chassis and house batteries while trying to crank the coach engine?

Sometimes you may find the need to run the generator for at least 30 minuets to get the chassis battery up to the point where it has enough power to pull its own weight.

Check to see if your house batteries are being charged with the generator running.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:23 AM   #3

Yea holding switch/ batteries showing 13.4 volts .. when I push the button the dashboard is still dead put I hear the click of the solenoid
Old 01-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #4

When you push the battery boost switch it transfers power from the house battery to the chassis battery. Sometimes when the chassis battery is really dead you have to hold the button for 5 or even 10 minutes to build up enough charge to turn over the motor. It does not send power straight to the starter.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:33 PM   #5

Solved wiring was not right
Old 01-18-2018, 07:41 PM   #6

Well,
OP,
A little suggestion here. Put a PERIOD in your sentences every now and then will ya, I was getting exhausted reading that.

The first thing I'd do is, check out those chassis batteries. Make sure all the connections are good and, that there's no dead cells etc. I've heard that sometimes, if you run certain batteries down to dead, COMPLETELY DEAD, they will not come back. So, if that's the case here, your house batteries are battling the chassis batteries and, there's not enough reserve left to crank the engine.

Second, While you do hear that solenoid for battery boost "click", it's a known problem that while they do click, full voltage is NOT getting across the contact points due to carbon arcing. And, that will affect just how much charging is getting to your house batteries when the engine is running. So, a thorough check of that solenoid is in order. You may be battling TWO issues at once, trying to start your engine.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arricejr View Post
Solved wiring was not right
A little more info please, May help someone else in the future. Wire on wrong side of the solenoid?

Charles
Old 01-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #8

Yeah,
I'd kinda like to know what he meant by "wiring not right".
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch