Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2010, 07:45 AM   #1

Wink Empire Ceramic Brick Heaters

Trying to heat my RV while boondocking without running the furnace.
I am looking for information on how well the empire ceramic brick heaters work in cold weather, also how well do they work at higher altitudes (5000-6500ft).
Also since my propane tank is located near the front of the RV it would probably be connected near the front of the RV. Does anyone know if it will heat the bedroom in the rear from there. What size heater and how big an RV do you use it in would also be helpful. Thank.
My RV is a 27' Winnebago Sightseer.

Always interested in hearing from RV'ers who actually use the heater.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
This type heater has some code restrictions. Bedrooms and bathrooms cannot exceed 10,000 BTU, and they are not allowed in Recreational Vehicles. Vent free puts out 1 quart of water per hour at 40,000 BTU. Bad things for an enclosed space. Speaking of enclosed space, the ODS (Oxygen Depletion System) will probably shut it down due to the oxygen level dropping below the preset level.

This is not the proper way to heat an RV.

Don't get me wrong, vent free has its place, I sell over 1,000 vent free gas logs per year, but an RV is not the proper application for vent free products.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #3

I don't have the Empire ceramic heater but use two other brands. Most of the ceramic heaters are 1500 Watt with a small blower fan. One heater will raise the indoor temperature 20 degrees above the outside temp. Beyond that I use a second heater. For sleeping I close off the bedroom and have always gotten by with one heater.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #4

Any VENTED heaters that could work well in an RV?

I will not use a non-vented propane heater in the RV but would like something better and more efficient than the Atwood furnace.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I have a Big Buddy heater but they are pretty much all the same. The most important thing to remember about these heaters is that they are NOT vented. You provide venting by opening a window several inches(check manufacturer's recommendations) while the heater is on. I usually open the window in the room I occupy. Secondly, because it burns propane it throws large amounts of moisture into the air which condensates on windows and metal framing. Airing out the interior space periodically will eliminate the beginning of mold and mildew. They are great as far as keeping the interior comfortable. My previous motorhome was a 37 foot Suncruiser and the 9,000 BTU setting is the highest setting I've had to use in the early part of May in British Columbia(heading to Alaska). What size heater you get depends on how well insulated your RV is, your comfort level and at the temperatures you expect to use it.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #6

I appreciate your input. What in your opinion is a good stand alone heater for a 27' RV.
If I get my solar set up properly and can run the furnace that would be ideal but I think an auxillary heater would be more cost effective.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #7

Blue Flame Heater

I use the Blue Flame heater and love it. I spend 50% of my time boondocking and this is the best way to heat your coach. Mine is the middle size of the 3 size's available and some folks have told me the brick style is about the same. I crack 1 window in the front and 1 in the bedroom about 1 inch or so. Absolutly better then the atwood furnace.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Other than what's already been mentioned for heaters a lot of people like the Olympian Wave heater. I'm somewhat partial to the Mr. Heater since it takes 1 lb. cylinders. You don't always have the luxury of putting a 20 lb. tank outside your door as when boondocking at walmart. I buy a 4 pack of 1 lb. cylinders, the Big Buddy has connections for 2-1 lb. cylinders which are good for the night and them some. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations for ventilation. Here's what available at Camping World.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote