Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #1

Thumbs up Emptying Fresh Water Tank

I am new to Class A motor home camping. I own a 1999 Itaska Sunrise SE Model 31 B. The water in the fresh water tank smells horrible for some time after trying to use it. I have read the instructions over and over, for the life of me I can't figure out how to drain and flush the tank. Can any one out there help me?
billjohn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my unit, I have a drain valve next to my pump that I can drain the fresh water tank or fill it up with the fresh water hose hooked up to the camper. Mine was labeled. I just found this out while killing time one evening. Hope this helps.
larry08i12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
I have the same issue with my 06 HR Admiral. Checking what I believe is the Owners Manual.. to drain the tank for sanitizing or after winterizing.. "See Owners Manual". So, new to me.. I called HR to see if there is another manual to go along with the ton of paperwork I received when I got the MH.

The tech said he would check. He had no idea how to drain the tanks. Told me to open the low point drains and turn on the pump. Hmm, I hope that is not an indication about HR.. I'm sure it's not.

I still don't know how to actually dump that FW tank.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not familiar with your particular coach but hopefully someone who knows will chime in soon but I would think you should have a lever to pull in the plumbing bay which opens the fresh water tank drain.

Use our search feature to look for "sanitizing fresh water tank" and you'll find a lot of how to material. It involves draining the tank and then refilling with a bleach and water solution added. Run water through all faucets (hot and cold) to fill the lines and hot water heater. Allow to sit for several hours before draining, rinsing and refilling.

Most of us try to do this a couple of times a year... especially if the coach is stored for long periods. Use of chlorinated city water helps a lot but breaks down after a few months and stuff can begin to grown in there and you don't want that.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #5

Based on page 3 of the plumbing diagram for a 1999 Itasca Sunrise SE Model 31 B (http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...f31b_plumb.pdf) and the key that goes with it (http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...g_callouts.pdf), item "V-10" is a drain valve. As shown on page 3 of the drawing, it is located by the pump motor. Page 4 shows some alternate tank configurations but all of them use the V-10 valve for draining.

Dave
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My low point drains are in my last compartment under water fill.Red line is hotwater heater,middle is lines and far left is fresh water tank,when my camping is over I drain all but a few gallons to flush and wash hands,and fully empty when I get home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6553.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	13308  
ccook129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #7

I found my FW tank drain.. It was in the compartment behind all liquid servicing compartment. It's a 2" dump line.. I was expecting maybe a 1/2" line. So big I totally missed it..

When things aren't where I expect them.. I don't see them. For instance.. Hey honey.. what did you do with the peanut butter?? reply.. It's right in front of you... Me.. where? reply.. On the shelf below your hand. Me.. That's not where it always has been. Reply.. I moved everything today so there'd be some order... Me... whose order.... on and on.. but, ya get the idea
Old 08-26-2011, 06:51 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Also drain and flush the hot water tank or it will grow algae and smell like sulfur.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
If you have it take a look at the anode in the hot water tank. It needs to be replace every so often or the smell from the tap when running hot water can smell like rotten eggs.

When I bought my previous coach the anode was completely gone and when I pulled the anode and drained the tank is came out like looking like oatmeal.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
Based on page 3 of the plumbing diagram for a 1999 Itasca Sunrise SE Model 31 B (http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...f31b_plumb.pdf) and the key that goes with it (http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...g_callouts.pdf), item "V-10" is a drain valve. As shown on page 3 of the drawing, it is located by the pump motor. Page 4 shows some alternate tank configurations but all of them use the V-10 valve for draining.

Dave

Thanks!
billjohn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Atwood water heaters, which I think he has, do not have an anode rod. But they do need to be flushed and sanitized along with the rest of the system.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #12

Someone has prolly already figured this one out. The anode plug is about a 1/4" above the floor of the heater.. There has to be some way of really flushin out the bottom of the WH. I can get it up to the opening and then I feel like a procter ologist.. shoving my finger in there and getting the punk out a bit at a time.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhite View Post
Someone has prolly already figured this one out. The anode plug is about a 1/4" above the floor of the heater.. There has to be some way of really flushin out the bottom of the WH. I can get it up to the opening and then I feel like a procter ologist.. shoving my finger in there and getting the punk out a bit at a time.
Yep, there is. Camco Mfg Inc - Water Heater Tank Rinser - Water Heaters - Camping World

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sometimes the fresh water drain will not get all the water out of the tank.
On mine to get it all out it takes a little drive to move what is left around.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water