Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #1

EMS Energy Management System

I have a 50 Amp Smart EMS on my motor home. I've been contiplating installing a surge guard but not sure if this EMS serves as a surge protector.

Manual states: it is a completely self-contained 120/240 Volt power distribution and energy management system. Provides circuit protection for all the 120 volt AC loads in the motorhome and a system of energy management to minimize the over-loading and tripping of circuit breakers.

Would a surge guard still be a good idea?

Thanks!
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Yes. A surge guard will protect your valuable electronic devices where the EMS system won't. It will just shed loads to prevent overload conditions. A surge guard will protect against spikes and conditions like open neutrals. A very good investment IMHO.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Based on your description, your "Smart EMS" does not have surge protection or powerline monitoring. Basically all it does is prevent you from overloading a 30A shore power supply and tripping the 30A breaker on the shore power pedestal.

You want a combined surge protector and power monitor and the power monitor is probably the more important aspect. Power monitoring checks for miswired power pedestals and high/low voltage. Miswired outlets include reversed neutral & ground, reversed hot and neutral, open neutral, all of which can be dangerous.

Progressive Industries makes a good one. So does Surge Guard.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are many devices. Most of them contain MOVs (metal Oxcide Varisistors) which offer some SPIKE (not surge) suppression. These inclued the common six outlet (or smaller) "Surge Guards" sold in supermarkets, office supply and department stores from here to there and back again. IF a true surge hits these pupplies make like firecrackers (I kid you now I was there when it happened and that is exactly what they sounded like).

Autoformers and EMS systems may well contain them, Some Auto Transfer Switches contain them.. but in the event of a true surge,, See "Firecracker" above.

The primary job of the EMS is to limit the current draw when on less than 50 amps, IF it sees demand for more than say 25 amps (on 30) 1r 15 (on 20) it will shed a load or two to keep it down. This "Protects" you from having to get dressed, go outside and reset the )(*@#&$)@#* Circuit breaker.

The job of the Autoformer or automatic boost transformer is to protect you against brown out of other causes of low voltage, It does this by kicking in and boosting the voltage, at least one make will also buck a high voltage.

The RV-Surge Guard devices, are better called a power line guard or protector monitor, usually, frequency and voltage, if one (or both) of them are too high, or too low it cuts power to your RV cause NONE is better than BAD. Thus protecting the stuff that is voltage senistive. This is a TRUE surge guard because heaven forbid the power company screw up on you as they did on me and hit you with way more than 120vac.. IT will shut you down, hopefully before damage happens.

The power chain

Park---Autoformer---SurgeGuard---RV

By the way, that way if the voltage goes low the autoformer can boost it before the surge guard kills it. And if the autoformer gets "Stuck" in boost, the surge guard will kill that too.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVluvin View Post
I have a 50 Amp Smart EMS on my motor home. I've been contiplating installing a surge guard but not sure if this EMS serves as a surge protector.

Manual states: it is a completely self-contained 120/240 Volt power distribution and energy management system. Provides circuit protection for all the 120 volt AC loads in the motorhome and a system of energy management to minimize the over-loading and tripping of circuit breakers.

Would a surge guard still be a good idea?

Thanks!
I have the EMS which distributes all 120 VAC power throughout the RV, whether it comes from shore power, generator or inverter. I also have an AECP, Automated Electrical Contol System, with ESP, Electrical System Protection. Therefore my guess would be that you do not have a "surge guard."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote