Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #1

EMS not reading power

Just got a new to me 2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer with 17500k on it. It has the Surge Guard Power Protector along with the xantrex invertor/charger monitor BOTH work the way they should, I have the xantrex system and the Pregressive EMS surge protector with remote in my 5er.
This also has the built-in energy management monitors that should tells me how much power my rig is consuming, and if it gets too high, it will turn off some of the heavier loads. The intent is to automatically budget my power usage, and prevent me from tripping the campground pedestal breaker (or my main breaker.) That's how it works, I think
Well that system is dead no light no reading that should show something even with nothing on like (AC Heat pumps Water heater) to read amps being used, I have it hooked to a 30Amp service.
I pulled the 7.5amp fuse and it is good when I went to install it I could hear something clicking when trying to install it.
Any help on this would be great. Thanks
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #2

Make sure the wire to the display is connected right. I had found that some numb nut plugged it in upside down. Be yours will work to like mine.
GregOk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2 Stroker,

Sounds like the unit is new to you. Did it ever work right for you? What has changed? Is your surge protector protecting you from a reverse polarity on the pedestal? Where are you hooked up to? If your house, is the 30A service for 220VAC or 110VAC. Need to know a lot more before we can help you. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyu View Post
2 Stroker,

Sounds like the unit is new to you. Did it ever work right for you? What has changed? Is your surge protector protecting you from a reverse polarity on the pedestal? Where are you hooked up to? If your house, is the 30A service for 220VAC or 110VAC. Need to know a lot more before we can help you. JM2¢...
Thanks for the help. Yes the coach is new to use. I got it on consignment at Country Coach in Junction City and not knowing how this should work it was plugged into a 50 A service there (not working) so i blame CC for not bring this up to me. Here at home i have a 30A 110 service for the past 10 years. I check the Surge Guard Protector to verify both line light are illuminated and they are. When we got it home it had water in it so i had to drain it because the temps dropped down to the low 20s and i tried the hot water heater before drain (no hot water) on electric so does the power have to go through the EMS first to make the high powered things work or do i have a problem with the HW heater also. After i get it home and only 17k on it then you see all the things that need to be fixed or screwed up, the list is long. One up side All New Batteries
My 5er is looking better all the time, after 10 years of use knock on wood, not one problem.
2 stroker
Old 01-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The EMS does not have a reading when on 50amp or generator. You should see your load numbers when plugged into a 30 amp or smaller circuit.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Special View Post
The EMS does not have a reading when on 50amp or generator. You should see your load numbers when plugged into a 30 amp or smaller circuit.
Thanks for the heads up on that, did not know how the system works. I'm on 30A now and nothing. The only book that I have is the owner's guide, looks like i'm missing 50% of the books for the coach.
2 stroker
Old 01-08-2013, 06:41 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2 Stroker,

Even when I bought my unit new, it did not come with all of the manuals for all of the installed components. After looking at most of the components, I keep finding new things. I wrote done all on the information for each item and slowly found most of the manuals (user, installation, or service) online. I've built a nice library for myself in the computer. Typical I have all three types for my components.

When requesting information on the forum, it is imperative to provide as much information concerning your component and the associated problem. Members share/trade manuals inorder to help each other. When a problem is resolved, closing the loop helps everybody learn from your experience. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #8

I got it fixed. Ordered a new EMS panel board off ebay got it today plugged it in and now I have all kind of green lights and reading the amps in use, all is good.
2 stroker
Old 01-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Stroker, I had the same symptoms crop up on my 07 Endeavor. The last trip we took in November we ended up with no furnaces working the last few days. The EMS would go on and off for no apparent reason.

One day in December I was fiddling with the fuses again and noticed that when I would just barely touch the one that says furnace/AC the EMS would click and come on until I took my finger off the fuse.

It turned out to be the terminals in the fuse box weren't crimped tight enough to maintain contact. If the factory had labeled the fuse as controlling the EMS also, instead of just furnace/AC, I would have figured it out immediately.

It's great you have it working now but if it dies again, tighten up those little spring terminals on the fuse holder with a pair of needle nose pliers. That was all it took on mine.

This is a pretty common problem with the blade style fuses. I'm planning to take all of the fuses out of all the boxes, 1 at a time, and crimp those terminals a little tighter.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #10

fastcat thanks for the heads up, I see you are in Oregon also we are about 30mi outside of Portland.
2 stroker
Old 01-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Even on 50A the EMS remote display should light up, but it won't display the amps being used. Should have an indicator that says "50A" though.

If your EMS remote does not show an indicator for the type of shore power, i.e. is completely dead, then you have a problem with the remote. Could be a bad remote, a bad cable to it (lan type cable) or a failure in the main EMS board that drives it.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
power