Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
KIX

ENGINE Air Compressor Help

I need to remove the engine air compressor to be able to access the ESS and EPS. The compressor appears to be mounted directly to the hydraulic pump. So, after removing hoses do I just unbolt the hydraulic pump and air compressor assembly as one unit??
Thanks for any help

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #2

Check the Cummins engine books real close. Some of these direct drive units need to be "timed" after installing. Not sure which, and not sure exactly how it needs to be done, but I'm sure it's in the Cummins maintenance procedures.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
KIX

Thanks Pigman.........I need to call Cummins to find out how to time it if needed.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #4

RTFM...Read the fine manual!

Best to get a copy of the factory maitenace manual and read it 3 times before you do anything.

First time is new to brain and it does not make anyy sense.

Second time brain is not surprised.

Third time brain has seen it twice and telling you it is ready..

The manual should hsve details regarding what to remove in what order and warnings aboit that 5 cent pin that may fall out.

It slso should describe installation and setup with timing if needed.

Be carefull of dirt!
Old 09-07-2014, 11:38 PM   #5

Not sure if the same setup, mine is an older mechanically injected C. I haven't had to remove mine but I have studied the manual. On mine the compressor is gear driven off the cam gear and the hydraulic pump is piggybacked onto it. It is water cooled with coolant lines from the engine and uses engine oil for lubrication. It is indeed timed with markings on the gears for balance. If I remember right, it depends on the brand compressor installed as to what marks you should see on the gear. Manuals should be available online at cummins quickserve.
The lower right gear in this photo shows the compressor gear. I had an oil leak between the gear housing and engine block so lots of stuff had to be removed. The gear housing came off over the compressor gear without removal of the compressor so I would assume the compressor could be removed without pulling the gear off the shaft. I think you would still have to remove the gear cover as in this picture for timing though.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1410150725.048334.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	709.8 KB
ID:	73318

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
KIX

Update

I didn't have to remove the air compressor after all. I did remove the hydraulic pump that was mated to the air comp. That gave enough access to get the ESS and EPS changed. Thanks for the help guys.

Tags
compressor