Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Virago Rider I did not see your answer to very important question. How long does it set before the batteries go down.

The other question that has not been asked is how is the coach stored. Do you have power to it when it is in storage. If you have a small amount of power going to it when stored most coach inverter/charger will charge the coach batteries but a suprisingly large number of them do not charge the chassis battery. My 2005 tiffin does not. I have a small automatic battery charger that was added on to my coach after purchase. It keeps the chassis batteries charged and the inverter/charger keeps the coach batteries charged. Without being plugged in even with the switches off my batteries will discharge in a few weeks.

gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2015, 09:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Virago Rider I did not see your answer to very important question. How long does it set before the batteries go down.

The other question that has not been asked is how is the coach stored. Do you have power to it when it is in storage. If you have a small amount of power going to it when stored most coach inverter/charger will charge the coach batteries but a suprisingly large number of them do not charge the chassis battery. My 2005 tiffin does not. I have a small automatic battery charger that was added on to my coach after purchase. It keeps the chassis batteries charged and the inverter/charger keeps the coach batteries charged. Without being plugged in even with the switches off my batteries will discharge in a few weeks.

It seems to be a random occourance. There is no power to the camper when in the garage. But, I do start the engine and generator for 30 - 40 minutes each week. Most of the time, it is fine... But occasionally I go to start it and nothing. Battery shows 5 -6 volts. I can use the. Emergency start switch and start with the other two batteries. Once charged, it will be fine for a while.... Starts each week just fine.... Then one day.... Nothing again.

🚌🚍🚌
1998 Thor Windsport 33SL on 1997 F53 chassis.
2007 Chevy Uplander TOAD.
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum

Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:54 AM   #17

Starting the MH is using more energy from your batteries then you are replacing in a half hour of running.

So every week your batteries are getting run down a bit more until they can't start it.

Try running it 1 hour, to give the alternator a chance to charge, or perfreably only start it once a month.

Even at once a month, you should run for an hour, at least. Better yet, go for a 2 hour ride.

A last option would be to only run the generator for an hour or so every week. The onboard charger should charge all of the batteries. If not, there is an inexpensive fix for that.

On of them battery to battery chargers. Trickle Start or a Battery Combiner.
Old 09-26-2015, 02:48 PM   #18

When I run the engine, I also run the generator. I have thought about a trickle charger / maintainer.

🚌🚍🚌
1998 Thor Windsport 33SL on 1997 F53 chassis.
2007 Chevy Uplander TOAD.
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #19

Do you keep the toad connected? This will pull from the engine battery even if your disconnected. Our MH has a interesting quirk. All of smoke, gas, and monoxide detectors still stay on after battery disconnect. I had to reroute so I can store.
robertsonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:04 PM   #20

Some coaches come with a trickle charger or battery minder for the chassis batteries. It gets its power from a 120 volt source in the coach, but will only charge when hooked to shore power or if the generator is running. The problem comes when there is no 120 volt power. The trickle charger will then slowly drain the chassis batteries. That along with the drain of a startup and only 30 minutes of run time will deplete the batteries. To prevent the drain, the fuse for the trickle charger needs to be removed when not on shore power. My coach was this way and the chassis batteries would go dead after a couple weeks. I removed the trickle charger and installed an Amp-L-Start. No more dead batteries.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:57 PM   #21

Had the same problem. Turned out after replacing the battery and alternator it was just a bad Battery Disconnect Switch. A $30 part and all is well. Try the easy stuff first.

2006 35 Foot HR Admiral Chevy 8.1 Gas, Bought it 2015 and pretty much rebuilt or replaced most of it inside and out. I am a DIYer and have enjoyed the process the last two years. But guess you are never done when you own a RV.
hotdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, engine