Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #1

Engine bay insulation renovation

Hello all...over the past two days I have been working on new insulation for my engine bay. I have some photos that I took during the process. A few hints for those of you doing this...

1- take your time in cleaning and preping. I blew out the engine bay with my air hose and still didn't get all the dust off the surfaces
2- watch out for the business new of screws from the other side...your hand will thank you
3- lay out all your supplies and use two utility knives...one at your cutting area and another where you are installing for trim work if needed.

The big sheet of foil covered foam is for insulating heat ducts ***warning*** do not use this alone I was unable to find a fire rating. It is only used to take up the space under the bed (old insulation was very thick) then covered with the heat/sound shield. The old insulation was a thick foam/rubber mat screwed to the surfaces. The new heat/sound shield is a 1/8" thick dense rubber with a foil back. It is very heavy and stuck well to the surface.

The foam sheet is from Home Depot @ $17 + $4 for screws&washers. The heat/sound shield I got from a friend ( local bus garage mech) they use it in the buses. It's called WIREZ and came in 2- 2'x50' rolls at $220
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1628468679.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	51384   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3322884054.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	477.8 KB
ID:	51385  

Name:	image-1266395893.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	452.5 KB
ID:	51386   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2831852558.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	476.5 KB
ID:	51387  

Name:	image-528207055.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	448.2 KB
ID:	51388   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-261991702.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	51389  

Jd-mpmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #2

Have you found a difference in the noise level??
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #3

Yes but that is just at idle....we leave for FL on the 20th so I'll update after our trip and let you know.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
Have you found a difference in the noise level??
And what about the heat level? Ours is pretty well insulated, but it does get a bit warm in the summer.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #5

I'll let you know about the heat after our trip to FL