Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2019, 06:05 AM   #1

Engine Brake

Does anyone know if by leaving the engine brake on permanently uses more fuel?
Paulraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2019, 06:28 AM   #2

It doesn't, but I wouldn't leave it on all the time unless in mountains.
nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:31 AM   #3

It does use more fuel because you will always be tipping the throttle back in instead of coasting.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulraymond View Post
Does anyone know if by leaving the engine break on permanently uses more fuel?
What caused it to break in the first place?

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:04 AM   #5

Thanks for pointing that out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exrench View Post
What caused it to break in the first place?
Paulraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:14 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
If you engine brake is on all the time, your service brakes will not get enough use and they need to be used.
Cousin Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:21 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I tried to leave my engine brake on but did not like the way the coach would kick into braking everytime I let my foot of the accelerator. It seemed like I had to have the throttle in a very narrow range by providing a slight pressure with my foot, it was very fatiguing.

IMHO I also believe this action would cause higher fuel consumption since the activation of the engine brake definitely slows the coach so when I push on the throttle to recover the fuel consumption is higher. I'd be hard pressed for anyone to explain why this wouldn't cause higher fuel consumption.

I use cruise control and I do use the engine brake a lot, to activate I tap the brake to deactivate the cruise and then flit the exhaust brake switch which is located on the left side drivers console. I've trained myself not to even have to look at the switch.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:41 AM   #8

Restricting the exhaust with the use of the exhaust brake will raise the EGT (exhaust gas temperature ), as well as raise the water temperature.
When truckers pull a long steep hill, the EGT and water temperatures go up. It is recommended to stop at the top and let everything cool down a bit before using the exhaust brake on the trip back down, as the exhaust brake will heat things up same as the climb.
I would not run with my exhaust brake on all the time as I want my exhaust system open. I only use on long downhill runs .
Old 08-10-2019, 07:59 AM   #9

Can RVs be programed as to when the brake comes on? All 3 of my drive by wire diesels (2Cats, 1 Cummins) where programed so if the brake switch and cruise control where on (CC did not need to be set) I could step of the go pedal and coast, but as soon as I touched the brake, would jake until back on go. (or lower RPM limit) I liked that setup.
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #10

I agree on not having the engine brake on all the time

Where are all the guys we had the big discussion with that leave them on all the time? Why so quiet now?
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #11

I run with the EB on low all the time unless on wet slippery road conditions. I have it programmed to engage whenever the service brakes are used or when the cruise control is disengaged, but just a light tap on the accelerator turns it off. It's very useful in managing speed. In the mountains, I will flip it to High to maintain speed while descending steep grades or when in heavy city traffic for when that idiot pulls into the gap ahead of me and decides to slow down. It's there to use and I see no disadvantage to using it anytime I need to slow down. 68,000 miles on a previous coach and 62,000 on this one so far and the brakes work great when I need them stop quickly.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:57 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Engine Brake

Yes, the engine software can be changed. I had mine reprogrammed so I could coast when I released the throttle and when I tapped the brake pedal, the engine brake was activated until I either stopped or applied the throttle again. Visit your Cummins dealer for reprogramming the coach software.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #13

I bought a foot switch to wire into the engine brake on / off circuit. I'll leave it off by default and engage on demand with a left foot. Yet another project on the list of many.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by will stevens View Post
Restricting the exhaust with the use of the exhaust brake will raise the EGT (exhaust gas temperature ), as well as raise the water temperature.
When truckers pull a long steep hill, the EGT and water temperatures go up. It is recommended to stop at the top and let everything cool down a bit before using the exhaust brake on the trip back down, as the exhaust brake will heat things up same as the climb.
I would not run with my exhaust brake on all the time as I want my exhaust system open. I only use on long downhill runs .
Curious why the the egt's and water temps will rise. Unless your coach is very different than others, exhaust brake will not activate if you have any throttle on. So with practically no fuel being burnt, what causes the egt and water temps to rise?
Have used exhaust brake on many long grades, and have never seen this.

Tags
engine