RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #1

Engine Brake Malfunction

I recently purchased a 2013 36PFT Monaco Knight from a great RV dealer in Oregon. When I drove it home I started noticing problems with the Engine Brake. The "on off" switch is located on the right side of the steering wheel.
Once the Engine Brake switch was activated the following actions would cause it to permanently deactivate. The only way I have found to get the Engine Brake to come back on is to pull the RV over and shut the engine completely off. Once restarted and traveling down the road, I was able to hit the button on the steering wheel and turn it back on.

1. Changing the up or down arrows on the transmission selector switch will turn the Engine Brake off.

2. Turning on the cruise control and then turning it off, the Engine Brake can not be turned on until the RV is stopped and engine is restarted.

3. If the Diesel Particulate Filter malfunction light comes on going up a hill.
(This has happened a couple of times, the engine brake turned off and and I had to pull over and restart the engine to make the warning light itself turn off).

Any thoughts on this? Is this normal or what?

Thanks

Spectrosoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #2

The cruise should kick out when the brake goes on, not the other way around. The allison will shift itself dont manually shift it while braking you could over rev. Do you have an engine brake or an exhaust brake.

shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:36 PM   #3

Engine Break Malfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
...The allison will shift itself dont manually shift it while braking you could over rev...
This is NOT correct! It is misleading information.
No matter what you do with the manual shift buttons, the Allison transmission will NOT shift down to a lower gear if it would over-rev the engine in the lower gear.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Spectrosoft's Monaco Knight would have an exhaust brake rather than an engine brake, but many people [incorrectly] use the terms interchangeably. From what I understand, it will have a MaxxForce 10 engine (Navistar).

As Traveler says, no Allison tranny will ever shift to a gear that would cause an over-rev condition. For that matter, no automatic transmission of any brand and made in the last 30+ years will do that.

I'm not familiar with how the brake is programmed with a MaxxForce engine, but I'm confident you should NOT have to shut the engine off and restart to activate or reactivate the exhaust brake. However, it is standard safety design for the cruise to be interlocked with the exhaust brake so that they two can never be active at the same time.

Use of the shift buttons to manually change gears would not interfere with the brake on any Cummins or Cat engine, but I do not know if a MaxxForce engine computer is programmed to prohibit that or not. It is possible to make it work that way, though I can't think of a good reason for doing so.

I can understand why a DPF fault would cause the engine computer to deactivate the brake. It probably goes into some safe or limp mode until the problem can be resolved.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not familiar with the engine brake operation on your MH so can't help with that. Just noticed you are new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
This is NOT correct! It is misleading information.
No matter what you do with the manual shift buttons, the Allison transmission will NOT shift down to a lower gear if it would over-rev the engine in the lower gear.
You sure can hit that shift button at just the right time and over rev it momentarily. Just because the book says you can't doesn't make it so.

shootist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, engine