Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
Should I be concerned that transmission is the CAT CX28. Heck I just assumed most used Allison, maybe not with CAT engine. Any flags on the CAT tranny?

Coach also has a residential refrigerater which I am not sure is a plus or not...inverter is a 3000.

Bill
Ah, this is where it gets really interesting!

First, have them confirm that's really the transmission installed in the unit, as it was listed as "standard" but most actually produced were upgraded to an Allison (Ask to see a copy of the build sheet - it will be on the right hand side under options, and maybe at the top with the listing of the engine). I would suspect it's really an Allison.

If it really is the CX28, I'd suggest you do a through test drive before locking the deal in.

Good points - it is the same transmission they listed in their "helo" coach the Rhapsody, which had the best of everything. It's installed in a lot of heavy equipment (namely dump trucks, I'm told), so its heavily field tested.

Bad Points - There were less than 10 Rhapsodies built/sold, and at the time CC was really struggling financially. Cost cutting could be a factor. Not sure if the shift quality for a dump truck translates to a MH.

Counter Point - I spoken at length to someone who actually owns a Rhapsody, and he has no issue with the transmission at all, and he's put a lot of miles on it.

Refrigerator - IMO, residential is the ONLY way to go! Too many issues with fires, failures and lack of adequate cooling (won't keep frozen things frozen) in non-residental units.

Inverter - 3000w is very good. The very top end that can also run an AC off the inverter have two (2) 3000w, but that's really guilding the lily!

Looks like a great coach!

Mark

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
There are two types of tag axles depending on the manufacturer. Most buses and high end coaches like the Prevost use a wider tag axle with a front style wheel. This design loads the wheels bearings less and has a higher gross weight rating.

The other style is a narrower axle with a deep dish rear style wheel. This design usually has less weight rating and will retract when the steering wheel is turned past a degree gate and the speed is less than 5mph.

So the good news is the Allure tag actually has a higher weight rating but it will not automatically retract. Regardless of the tag design, a tag axle stops the proposing on a rear engine coach and it will handle much better.

I doubt the Allure has a CX28. With a C9, it could be either an MH3000 or the MH4000 Allison trans. The dividing line is the MH3000 is limited to 1250 ft lbs of torque.

Also, I agree the residential refrigerator is a great option. There are far too many recalls and fire issues with the newer Norcold designs.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #31

follow up report on OP points

I have been in contact with salesman and someone who was in the CountryCoach business for a number of years.

Vito, you are correct about the axle. Here is a quote from the CC gentleman...."By flipping the tag rims around so they resemble the front wheels, CountryCoach gained 1000 lbs. per axle in GAWR."

This gentleman also suggest that the CAT transmission could represent a negative, not that it would, but could. In fact when he was more directly in the CC business he did not like selling a coach with CAT tranny nor trade for one. Salesman disagrees with my negative approach to tranny thinking I read to many blogs. Maybe, but that is part of the research. Perhaps I am negative to rear radiators because of blogs, be that good or bad. One needs to feed the things that lightens possible stress. ha

As you suggest Mark, could be some bad things there although salesman says in his 26 years he has not seen one come back from transmission problem. Maybe so or maybe he was not in the shop when it happened (being cute). Not being of mechanical mind, I would no little more by diving unit unless it roared loudly, which it might. Nevertheless I am a little scared of the CX28., just as I am the Phaeton because I think the 360 Cummins is not enough for a 42' tag axle coach regardless that it does have rear radiator.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunde01 View Post
What is a single front tag axel?
Like the retractable ones you see on Dump and Garbage trucks.. used when they are fully loaded..

Old 09-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #33
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Those are called Lift Axles and are not used on motorhomes.

Lift axles are only in contact with the road when the truck is loaded.

Tag axles are always in contact with the road, with the exception that some can unloaded or lifted when slowly turning.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
This gentleman also suggest that the CAT transmission could represent a negative, not that it would, but could. In fact when he was more directly in the CC business he did not like selling a coach with CAT tranny nor trade for one. Salesman disagrees with my negative approach to tranny thinking I read to many blogs. Maybe, but that is part of the research. Perhaps I am negative to rear radiators because of blogs, be that good or bad. One needs to feed the things that lightens possible stress. ha

As you suggest Mark, could be some bad things there although salesman says in his 26 years he has not seen one come back from transmission problem. Maybe so or maybe he was not in the shop when it happened (being cute). Not being of mechanical mind, I would no little more by diving unit unless it roared loudly, which it might. Nevertheless I am a little scared of the CX28.
I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker, at this point. As I noted, the trannys are built uber-rugged, so I'd have a very high confidence in logevity (which is key).

I think a test drive will quickly tell you "yea" or "run for the hills." If the shifting is so abrubt, or non-smooth that you notice it frequently (or much at all), ask to drive a similar coach with an Allison to compare. I suspect it won't be much of a difference, but what really matter is how it feels to you.

Note that I really like the fact that this is a 2008 and has 33k ~ someone has really been using it! That means the bugs are probably all out of it and any drive line issues certainly would have made their appearance and been delt with. My friend with the Rhapsody has Zero issues or concerns with his transmission, and he's been driving it for over a year now.

Again, just my point of view.

Mark
Old 09-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Side radiator and tag axles are excellent upgrades.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
While I would definitely prefer a side Rad, if the floor plan really worked best for me and all else was pretty equal, I would go for the rear rad. A bir more inconvient but definitely not a deal breaker for me.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #37
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
While I would definitely prefer a side Rad, if the floor plan really worked best for me and all else was pretty equal, I would go for the rear rad. A bir more inconvient but definitely not a deal breaker for me.
SO true

I mean come on very few have the skills necessary to wrench on a diesel engine .

Other than filters oil coolant -- my skills stop there need to access the engine from the top
ok --------- mechanics are used to it .
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Buck454 from the pics that you published the Allure is quite attractive. Although the reversed dish on the tag axle is different than most it takes nothing away from the looks.

BTW Tag axles are sometimes steerable and they normally use the reverse dish wheels.

Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote