Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #1

Engine loss of power

2002 Discovery Fleetwood, 26000 miles. Engine 3126-B shows only one fuel filter required. Engine loses power even on flat highway with top speed of 60 or less. Fuel filter has been replaced but still power loss. Any suggestions. Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 12:15 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Take it into a Cummins shop so they can read the codes.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After reading that I realized it sounded sarcastic and wasn't meant to be. Also, when was air filter last replaced?
Old 05-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigls2 View Post
Take it into a Cummins shop so they can read the codes.

3126B is Cat engine .
But that's beside the point.
Sandbri1,
A Belated ; Welcome to iRV2, first post I see.

Being a 12 year old coach , there is a possibility that a previous owner has installed a secondary fuel filter some where in the system. You should trace the fuel lines all the way from the engine, HEUI pump to the point where they run into the frame rail in front of the differential.
Many second owners have reported finding secondary filters that have never been serviced, or listed by the manufacturer. Some have even found a third filter.
There is also the possibility that the return fuel pressure regulator; transmission end of the cylinder head; is allowing too much fuel to return to the tank , starving the injectors when they need the most fuel to produce power.
Do you have any other issues with engine performance?
Slow starting ?
Rough idle?
Here is a file on the fuel system for your Cat, I have others, but this may help.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #5

Sorry I must have messed up , loading the file , .
Trying again.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3126B Heui Engines.pdf (168.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 05-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #6

In our product info book for the 3126 B engine, the book illustration shows two filters. The secondary filter is shown to be on the engine in the illustration. Ours has a canister with the wording "Do Not Remove" in the location where the filter is located. Thus far we have only located the one filter with the waterseparator/filter. We are just wondering what the canister is. Any idea.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #7

Might be a good plan to get to the Cat house.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:25 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry, a lot of mid 2000's Discovery's ran ISB engines. Mind automatically defaulted to cummins
Old 05-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #9
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Could be as simple as a leak in the turbo plumbing. Might not be getting enough boost.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I copied this from another site to keep for reference, may be helpful.this guy had tried numerous filter works, his issue was lack of power up hills:

"Here is an update of my engine issue that I wrote about over a year ago.

Thanks to Dave Atherton, a retired Cat mechanic, I was able to get my coach engine running well again. Dave contacted be after reading my description of the CAT C7 engine problems telling right away, that the lack of power cannot possibly be related to the injectors, regardless of the fact that CAT mechanics in Albuquerque, NM, narrowed down the problem being in #6 HEUI injector.

Below is the story of how things went once I called Dave:

- He asked me to get access to my engine, specifically to #6 cylinder, from my bedroom. It was a bit tricky to open the access panel that was partially under my bed but not too difficult to do, though.
- Dave then told me to remove the valve cover from the top of the engine (lots of bolts). Once the cover was off, he asked me to call him, which I did.
- He then told me to turn on the engine (no, oil was not flying all over the place). While the engine was running he asked me to unplug power cord from #6 injector (it's the one under the bed, of course) and see what happens. When I unplugged the cord, the noise from the engine pretty much scared the crap out of me! I plugged the cord back to the injector and the engine calmed down. I then decided to see what happens if I'm doing the same thing to #5 injector. The result was same. The engine was running like crap and was sounding very noisy and irregular. I put #5 injector cord back in its place and I then called Dave who was waiting for my call.
- Once I described to Dave what happend, he then told me that I had just proved to myself that the injectors are working just fine. It made sense to me.
- Next step: Dave was suspecting (without being absolutely 100 % sure) that most likely my lack of engine power (torque) is caused by a defected atmospheric pressure sensor. He gave me instructions where and how to find it and how to remove it. Only difficulty to remove it, by the way, was that it was impossible to see what I was doing. Instead, I had to feel what I was doing.
- Once the sensor was out I took it to Caterpillar service center and bought a new sensor. The cost was approximately $145.
- Dave's instructions to me at this point was to install the new sensor and make sure that valve cover, cords and everything else is properly back in place and then go for a test drive.
- Of course I did that, with beautiful end result! My coach was running like there would have never been any problems.
http://forum.dieselrvclub.org/index.....html#msg18025
So, thanks to Dave, I fixed my coach with $145 instead of hundreds (or thousands) of dollars. AND I am not a mechanic. I'm just a "crazy Finn" that decided to give a shot, because I felt good about this Dave fellow and his instructions."
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbri1 View Post
In our product info book for the 3126 B engine, the book illustration shows two filters. The secondary filter is shown to be on the engine in the illustration. Ours has a canister with the wording "Do Not Remove" in the location where the filter is located. Thus far we have only located the one filter with the waterseparator/filter. We are just wondering what the canister is. Any idea.
Any chance you could post a picture of this canister.
If you haven't posted pictures before, instructions are in the " FAQ " drop box, in the , blue bar , below your welcome message.

As others have mentioned , there are other possibilities , when it comes to lack of power.
Turbo, or waste gate , intake plumbing leak , Charge Air Cooler, stuck exhaust brake , but we should try to figure out the fuel system first, if you say there's something in the system you don't understand.
The " Do Not Remove " could just be a warning to the chassis manufacturer, that Cat, didn't want that filter; if that's what it is; removed from the engine.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #12

I have just uploaded a picture of the engine. Title Caterpillar 3126B Engine. Hope I did it right.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:58 AM   #13

OK , if you have a part in that exact location of #13 in the manual, that is the Caterpillar installed fuel filter.
The primary water separator / fuel filter you have already replaced, would have a filtering capacity of 20>30 microns, meaning it will filter out particles to that size, the secondary filter in the housing on the engine will have better filtering capabilities 2>3 microns , so particles down to 1/10 the size will be picked up in the secondary filter, and it can easily be plugged if it's never been changed.
I would have preferred a photo , of your engine showing the " Do Not Remove " label to be absolutely sure; but trace the fuel lines from the water separator/filter and see if they go to the housing ( #13)
I pulled your picture of your manual out of the photo gallery, and I'll include it here , I'm looking for a clearer depiction of this layout. I cannot post a picture of my engine because the secondary filter has been moved off the engine to a mount beside the primary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVEngine 3126b.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	95281  
Old 05-26-2015, 10:41 AM   #14

Pages 49 - 53 of this document cover the on engine filter replacement .
I'm still looking for a clear diagram of the engine .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3126B Truck Engine-Maintenance Intervals.pdf (677.8 KB, 17 views)

Tags
engine, loss of power, power