Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #1

Engine monitoring

Anyone using "scangage d?
Is this product useful?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I use it and find it very useful, especially for the price.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:28 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use it and love it. I'm a gearhead and love info. The gauge sets in most motorhomes don't really give me as much info as I want. The ScanGauge D is programmable and can be setup to your liking. If you shop it online you can find deals on them too. As far as customer service the company is great. I highly recommend it.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:11 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
15 Discovery 40E

Walmart.com had SCD's on sale for $109. I bought it to supplement the Freightliner readout. I will be able to see 7 monitor readouts instead of 3 at one time without scrolling and taking my eyes off the road. Safer. Will be able to see trans temps, I drive out west.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:12 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Look at silverlake VMSpc. Much better, very configurable to exactly what you want see, and how you want to see it. Been traveling, but can send a copy of my screen when I get home to a good network connection.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:00 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have used one on my Journey since they came out. The OBD code reader on it is particularly useful as it captures "momentary" codes that are not "solid" and as a result, are not recorded on the Freightliner LBCU. In my case, about one month before my warranty was to expire I had a Turbo Code a couple of times. Took it to Cummins and ended up having my Turbo replaced under warranty. Also had the same experience with momentary EGR codes - that I ignored - long before the EGR stuck open and I lost most power - I learned my lesson then. Fortunately that was before the Warranty had expired. The additional displays are great and you can get precise info from them but the real value to me was early warning of engine issues - it will more than pay for itself!
bobmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've also been considering something like this. In looking online, the Ultragauge monitor/screen is sure much more user friendly, but still trying to confirm if it will work on a 2000 diesel motorhome as it must be OBDII compliant (whatever that means) to work.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:57 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The ScanGauge-D does not have an OBD interface as in cars and is not compliant with the OBD standards. Mine has a round 9 pin J-1939 that is used on my Cummins engine. The ScanGauge-D also has a 6 pin J-1708 interface on the same cable so it can be used with either standard. Download the ScanGauge-D manual and see the dual ended connector cable. It will not work with the automotive OBD connector. I used the "OBD" term in my post as to me it is synonymous with all vehicle diagnostic systems - not just the car system.
bobmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Walmart.com had SCD's on sale for $109. I bought it to supplement the Freightliner readout. I will be able to see 7 monitor readouts instead of 3 at one time without scrolling and taking my eyes off the road. Safer. Will be able to see trans temps, I drive out west.
Fiesta48
7 readouts at a time??
The "ScanGauge-D monitor" ONLY displays 4 readouts at a time without scrolling.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
The ScanGauge-D does not have an OBD interface as in cars and is not compliant with the OBD standards. Mine has a round 9 pin J-1939 that is used on my Cummins engine. The ScanGauge-D also has a 6 pin J-1708 interface on the same cable so it can be used with either standard. Download the ScanGauge-D manual and see the dual ended connector cable. It will not work with the automotive OBD connector. I used the "OBD" term in my post as to me it is synonymous with all vehicle diagnostic systems - not just the car system.
It's the sae. j1939 protocol. there are obd2 "monitors" that support j1939 (elm327)
There are also cables with the odb2 connector w j1939, j1708...that can do the conversion. It's easier to buy the scan gauge d. But there may be a cheaper way.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Worth the investment!
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:32 PM   #12

I have used one for years. Lots of good info, as well as codes.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Look at silverlake VMSpc. Much better, very configurable to exactly what you want see, and how you want to see it. Been traveling, but can send a copy of my screen when I get home to a good network connection.
How much does this cost?
Old 08-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
About $300 at RVupgrades.com

Then you need a PC or Tablet to run the application and display.

My custom screen is below.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VMSpc-14.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	137340  

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine