Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Benny367

Interesting how the different RV manufacturers do things! My RV (Holiday Rambler Admiral) is just the opposite! it WILL NOT allow the slides to be operated with the engine running! I confirmed this in my owners manual, it is a safety feature that prevents inadvertent deployment of the slides if the vehicle is moving. (And even if your not moving and the engine is just idling and you're in park, you still cannot move the slides, the engine must be off)
I agree but I think it's more interesting how some refuse to follow their mfg. advice.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
As mentioned it is a voltage issue. Just brought my coach home from a scheduled maintenance, forgot to turn the house side battery switch off to conserve. Arriving home dumped air, engine running, started auto leveling system, no response warning came up saying low voltage. At this point I am sure the slides would not have responded either. Pluged in shore power within a minute voltage increased, jacks went down, and slides went out. So, if low voltage is present plug in or start up the generator. Many systems have a manual way to bring the slides in my 03 excursion did, never had to use it: present coach has full wall slide I don't believe a manual retraction is possible?

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Clay. I dread the day when I have to manually retract mine however I know how and have the specific tools I need. Your slideout manual should address this. If you don't have one you can get one from FW or if it's a Power Gear System you can email them. Info@powergearus.com.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #18
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As Bruce C said, have you tried it in the ACC position on the switch. Mine won't even move if the ing switch is on. Good luck. Jim
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP3569 330 CAT - Toad Jeep Liberty, DW is the Nagivator. Work to travel and everything revolves around the price of diesel.
rvjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #19
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I found my email and response to Power Gear that I referred to above.

Always have the engine running when operating the slideout. This ensures that there is proper voltage going to the slideout module or control box at all times. Thank you.

Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2011 7:56 AM
To: info
Subject: slideouts

Good morning Bill and Tony. Hope you guys had a great Thanksgiving.

There are some discussions going on as to whether or not the engine needs to be running to bring in/out the slideouts and not put undue stress on the motor.Fleetwood manual says to have engine running , but the Power Gear Manual does not mention it. What is the current opinion on this?

Thanks as always

So to answer the op's question ( if he has Power Gear ) you can operate the slides with key turned to ACC but the mfg. doesn't advise it.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #20
Thor Owners Club
In a pinch, if you have a "battery boost" switch (briefly connects chassis and house batteries to give extra boost when needed, usually to start the engine), that might provide enough to get past the low-voltage problem to get your slides in.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #21
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Is your system ( slideout ) elec or hydraulic ?

Our slides are electrically operated.....12 volt system
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #22
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
New to me coach and first RV with slides. Engine must be running and park brake engaged to move the slides. Why? And if the engine won't start, slides are out, and you need a tow to a repair shop? Is there a way to over ride the engine running requirement?
Interesting...in my Fleetwood 35H, I need the motor running and parking brake engaged to deploy my Power Gear jacks but can move my slides in or out with the key turned to the "accessory" position. However, my main slide will sometimes not retract all of the way unless I have the motor running to provide the additional current necessary to move the weight of the slide.
Andy & Cheryl & Mini-Poodle Sonny
2011 35H Bounder - 2012 Subaru Outback
Roadmaster Sterling - RVibrake
aschuller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #23
On our 2004 Escaper if the key is in the ON position the slides will not operate. They will operate with the key in the ACC position. We have electric Powergear slides.

Check the section for Manual Overriding at this link http://www.norden.com.au/files/Power...2_S0140_00.pdf
2004 Damon Escaper 4076
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #24
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
I put my slides in and out quite alot and not always with the engine running. If you put your ignition switch in the accessory side on the switch I think your slides will come in or out, mine do.
Same here...we don't have an accessory position on the ignition key, so I just turn it on.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #25
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depending on the coach slides won't move unless the engine is running (Original posters) or off (mine).

In my case the slides run off the HOUSE batteries,

O/P's I assume they are hooked to the Chassis (MAIN) batteries.

They want the engine running so that the alternator will be providing power to "Assist" the battery.

Plug into shore power (If you have a BIRD, (Bi-direcitonal Isolator) this will provide the asist, turn key to ON and slides SHOULD work. Try it now.

NOTE: Try it quickly. It is not a good idea on some vehicles to let the engine sit there ON but not running for extended periods. (other engines it don't matter

In theory.. they could power the slides off the power steering pump, never heard of it done that way but in theory.. could be.

In this case dig out your slide manual and look up "Manual retraction" or "Manual operation"
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #26
Winnebago Owners Club
Winnebago recommends (with HWH slide outs) to start the engine as the hydraulic pump draws quite a bit of power and if your battery is low you may have problems, and yes if you had to move the coach there is a way to manually retract the slides, but it is a whole lot easier just pushing that button
Barry and Glennice, Kit and Kaboodle (Lhaso Apso's)
2008 Winnebago Tour WD, GMC Terrain toad
bgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The panel with the slide in/out switches has a note that says engine running and p'brake on are required. I tried it without either individually. Does not work with shore power or genny power.

I have not tried with just ignotion on.

I did find a screw-like mechanism and a long crank type rod in the back of one of the storage bays. Appears they can be manually retracted incase of a need.

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #28
Our Sportscoach with HWH slides the key cannot be in the On position to operate the slides. Off or ACC but not On.

2005 Sportscoach Elite 40' C-7 350 Cat w/MP-8
Suzuki Samurai toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel
800w solar system
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote