Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
As you can see from the many replies you received there are ways to get the slides in or out without the engine running. The biggest reason for having the engine running is to keep the batteries charged as opening the slides puts lots of strain on the batteries. Some RV's may require the ignition key to be on and the brake set! Others may have different safegaurds in place. To by pass the safegaurds all you need is to know what they are for your coach and make sure the batteries are fully charged. As for having the coach leveled, it is best! You are taking the chance that deploying the slides may put a twist in the frame and cause things to move where they should not move (such as a windshield twisting in its frame) That does not mean it cannot be done if an emergency arises. RV dealers have found that they can get by without the leveling process and quite often will open them for display without deploying the jacks. However if they have a problem, chances are they have a service dept availabe for repairs.
+1 to the above. Drivers chair forward and locked, engine running, or at least the Gennie (occasionally both if dry camping). Slides are heavy and in REEEAAALLLY HEAVY AND the motors need lots of power to 'do their thing.'

Just give them what they need .. or end up replacing?
fae

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #44

I was just thinking......why not use a socket, a 12 inch extention and adapter ( 3/8 male drive to 1/4 male hex) amoung all my tools, i found such an animal that I can drive with a impact cordless drill or for that matter a electric drill.
Hope I never need it, but as they say.......be prepared

Old 07-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #45

I don't think an impact would be all that good on the gears.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #46
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
I don't think an impact would be all that good on the gears.
I don't think the 1/2" clearance would allow any of his tools.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacearrow
I have an '05 PA 37A, and have always needed the engine running (and P brake engaged) to move the slides. Would love to hear a way to move them without engine on if it's possible. Thanks!
I have a 2005 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C and I have to have my engine running with the parking brake on to move the slides.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 AM   #48
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
As you can see from the many replies you received there are ways to get the slides in or out without the engine running. The biggest reason for having the engine running is to keep the batteries charged as opening the slides puts lots of strain on the batteries. Some RV's may require the ignition key to be on and the brake set! Others may have different safegaurds in place. To by pass the safegaurds all you need is to know what they are for your coach and make sure the batteries are fully charged. As for having the coach leveled, it is best! You are taking the chance that deploying the slides may put a twist in the frame and cause things to move where they should not move (such as a windshield twisting in its frame) That does not mean it cannot be done if an emergency arises. RV dealers have found that they can get by without the leveling process and quite often will open them for display without deploying the jacks. However if they have a problem, chances are they have a service dept availabe for repairs.
My Monaco Knight manual dictates to open slides before leveling or dumping air. I am not suggesting this is the case for all models and or makes, however it is important to read the owners manual for your particular unit.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP View Post
My Monaco Knight manual dictates to open slides before leveling or dumping air. I am not suggesting this is the case for all models and or makes, however it is important to read the owners manual for your particular unit.
Much past discussion of this on various forums. Seems like Monaco/HR say slides out, then level, while most other brands say the opposite. Good advice above -- follow YOUR MANUFACTURER's instructions.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #50

Alpine Owners Club
What is striking is how many units don't have enough battery power to operate the equipment without the engine running. Skimping by manufacturers. Running slides off of chassis batteries isn't my idea of being smart - chassis batteries should be reserved for things necessary to get you down the road.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunner View Post
i don't think an impact would be all that good on the gears.
ohooooo soooo +1!!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #52
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
That's exactly opposite to mine. The slides will NOT move if the engine is running! Good luck & God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #53

On my Journey the main requirement is the parking brake be engaged, if not the slides will not go in or out. With the parking brake engaged the slides will operate with key on, off, accessory position, etc. It doesn't care. When at the factory earlier this year the technician said I should run the engine when moving slides. I don't always do that but do push the momentary switch to combine batteries if not running the engine. On my RV running the generator does NOT charge engine batteries so running the generator to move slides is not a help. Sure are different methods depending on the RV.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey Vince, did you get the slides in? What was the solution?
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #55

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My 09' Pace came with a power cable that can be plugged directly into my slide controller and connected to a external battery to operate my slides. This is in case of emergeny, if the engine doesnt start.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #56

I have a 02 Bounder engine must be running and parking brake on. I do take my brattery charger with me just in case. you can put the slide in manual.