Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #1

Engine noise

I have a 2010 Damon Avanti manufactured by Thor. It is a front end diesel. I bought this model specifically because the specs said that the noise problem had been eliminated. I purchased this motorhome in Dec. of 2010.

During the winter months there were times when the engine fans would come on and make a very loud noise, but this was only occasionally. We have taken several trips during the summer months when the temps were in the 90's. The fans cut on every two to three minutes. This noise is so loud that one has to scream to be heard. The noise lasts anywhere form 30 seconds to almost a minute.

Has anyone had this same issue with their RV? Are there any other Damon Avanti owners out there that have solved this problem. If so, how? I have taken it to an airconditioner place and they think I need a bigger condenser. It's still under warrentee so I want to get it fixed if I can. It makes traveling in the hot months down south almost impossible. Thanks, gjv

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Do you have an excess door, dog house, between the drivers and passenger seats?

OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do your have 12V electric fans in front of your radiator and are they working would cut down some of the noise so large fan does not cut in all the time?
Welcome to irv2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:29 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Geraldaviator
Earlier this summer you asked for help with a steering wheel vibration and road wander. We would appreciate knowing if and how the problem was corrected?
The experience you are having with engine fan noise is related to the "air temperature" after it has passed through the engine cooling radiator. The engine thermostat is trying to maintain the coolant at (+ -) 200 degrees Fahrenheit. In vehicles with front engines, the engine mounted fan should remain disengaged when driving at highway speeds in 70 degree weather on level roads.
The fan is calibrated to fully engage when it senses air that has exceeded a maximum temperature after it has passed through the radiator. That occurs under the following conditions. Heavy headwinds, climbing steep hills, hot weather, using dash air conditioning, not having the motor home body sealed properly to the top and sides of the radiator, dirt and crud blocking the air flow between and thru the air-conditioning and radiator cores.
If you have none of the above conditions, I would suggest that you contact the chassis manufacture and demand a higher engagement temperature of the cooling fan. Let us know the results.
Dwight
Old 08-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #5

Dwight, We got the vibration taken care of. It turned out to be a bad tire. There is a bit of vibration still, but it is lots better. Thanks for your help. We will check out the things you listed for the noise problem. We have noticed it when climbing hills and in our area (deep south) the temps have been in the high 90's when we have traveled recently. That's probably it. I wonder if this means we won't be able to go anywhere hot in the summer months????? Hope not. gjv
Old 08-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldviator View Post
I have a 2010 Damon Avanti manufactured by Thor. It is a front end diesel. I bought this model specifically because the specs said that the noise problem had been eliminated. I purchased this motorhome in Dec. of 2010......... gjv
gjv: The earliest model year Avanti coaches were built on a Workhorse chassis (W16D) using the Maxxforce 5 diesel motor, but I understand that Damon has since changed to a chassis made by FCCC using a Cummins motor, the ISB I believe. Is that what you have??? If so, that is the same motor used by FCCC in their larger GVWR "FRED" chassis and even some of the lighter GVWR chassis with the motor in the rear (RDP).

I suspect that the noise you are hearing is from the engine-driven fan's clutch engaging the fan (which ROARS like crazy when it is "on") to keep the water temp at an acceptable level. This is "normal" and is a fuel saving device because, when not needed due to air flow and cooler air temps, the fan is disconnected from the motor, freeing up HP and using less fuel. The fan clutch is responding to the air temp coming thru the radiator, and it cycles on & off as the engine coolant temp inside the radiator varies up and down with the heat from engine loading. About the only thing you can do about the noise is to add sound deadening materials, if possible, between you and the source of the noise.

Many of us "gassers" (who have a similar fan clutch setup) have learned that ensuring the max airflow thru the radiator can have the desirable effect of minimizing the frequency of clutch engagement. This is done by use of an "air dam", which is basically a heavy duty rubber "curtain", which directs the air flow coming thru the grill openings to the radiator by preventing the air flow from going around and over the top of the radiator. You can find many threads about this "air dam" down in the Workhorse forum below, if you do a search there. Hopefully Damon included something like this on your Avanti, but if not I suggest you consider adding something to force "more" air thru the radiator to minimize the need for the fan clutch to engage to pull more air, which makes the extra noise you find so troublesome. Hope all this helps you in some way. Ed
Old 08-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldviator View Post
the specs said that the noise problem had been eliminated.
There's at least part of the problem, listening to the progaganda put out by the manufacturer or the salesman.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
You say this MH is still under warranty. Take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it!....................ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
You say this MH is still under warranty. Take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it!....................ronspradley
And be aware that it might not be able to be fixed if it's the fan cutting in to cool the engine. Excess noise isn't usually a covered item under a warranty.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:54 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I found out about my fan noise on my vehicles maiden trip to Colorado.
My F-700 has a 5.9 cummins and gets 10.5 MPG on flat land pulling my jeep on its trailer.
When i hit the hills and especially on Monarch pass the fan kicked in and was so loud I couldn't hear the turbo and then the MPG droped to 10.0.
But the Temp gauge was allwyas in the normal range.
Flat land its in between the N and O small hills its on the R
Just between the R and M the fan kickes on.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:53 AM   #11

GJV,As others have said, make sure your radiator is clean, and all air dams/ducts are in place. You might talk to others with the same coach to see if they have the problem. The fan is cycleing on and off to keep the coolant temp in the correct range as it should. I think you will find it is operating properly, you may just have to learn to live with it, or buy a diesel pusher with a side rad. You have got to have air flow to get rid of the engine heat.

bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote