Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino11 View Post
Hello Dan,

I don't believe that my noise is coming from the bottom end, it seem to be located in the top front and the only time you'll hear it is when the RPM hits 2700.. I'm not sure why but it will do it every time no matter what speed but only after the engine has warmed up..

1999 Bounder v10 6.8.

Thanks
in that area and rpm related, possibly the timing chain or harmonic balancer? sometimes noise migrates.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
To locate engine noises, take a length of hose, hold one end to your ear and move the other end around the engine until you hear the noise. Have a buddy drive the Motorhome so you can do the listining. Works every time !!

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Since this thread is kinda old, I just add my two cents worth.

Get some Chevron Fuel Injection Cleaner, and follow the directions like a path. If it says to run the engine after a specific time do it, or you will never get it started. It's the best stuff around. Also dont forget the generator if it's gasoline powered, if it's propane don't worry about it. This is assuming you got a bad load of fuel, which is usually what you get when shopping by price. Just bear down and realize you have placed a sizeable chunck of money into the RV, dont short change the investment with crappy gas. Truck Stops are the best since they pump lots of gallons each day. Join Flying J/Pilot RV Club and you can save money there.

Next if it's only at 2700 RPM regardless of flat road, hill, etc, sounds like you got some bad lifters. Been a long time since I help fix that issue, so find a good mechanic and have him check. Now with that being said, the Ford V-10 may be Overhead can, so no "deep in the engine lifters and not sure if their are any at all, like I said been a long time. Could be a timing chain, again not sure of the layout of that engine, could also be the cooling fan hitting something as the blades flex when under that speed RPM, so you need to watch them, but make sure you don't put any hands or fingers in that area while it's moving or they will be gone. Hope you find it, and it you have already, then I did not read every post.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #32

Hello All,

Many months ago just around the time I started hearing this engine noise I replaced the original spark plugs that were Motor-Craft AWSF22E over to a Auto-lite double platinum APP103
Is it possible that the new plugs are causing this noise?
Old 09-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
Its been my experience that Autolite Plugs have always been very good quality. Take one out at a time, replace with the old ones (assumed you kept them) and see if the noise goes away. If it does, then it's the plugs, if not, you have to look someplace else.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #34

So what happened? I was thinking timing chain also. Valves, knock sensor etc. will rich or lean plugs as well with timing and you will feel the difference as you are use to your Moho. As your chain warms up it is very possible to rattle. I am so curious about this problem that has not been solved.

Thanks

Ron
Old 10-27-2010, 04:20 PM   #35

The v10 has a distinctive gargling sound due to exhaust flutter in the bifurcated exhaust.
The engine is equipped with a knock sensor and if the engine is producing preignition causing pinging or engine knock the service engine soon light should illuminate.
The PCM (performance computer module) will detect an engine that is preigniting.

I think you are hearing the exhaust "gargling" typical of V10 engines on an F53 chassis.

Tony
Old 10-27-2010, 11:57 PM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think Tony may be right. I hear the same noise in my V10, and it is especially obvious if the driver window is rolled down. Sounds like it is coming from the exhaust. I only have 14,000 miles on my rig.

Bob
Old 10-28-2010, 02:15 AM   #37

In order to replace the knock sensor,( which is a piezo ceramic device,) the upper intake manifold must be removed. It is located near the front of the engine and is buried in the block. If your knock sensor is bad the PCM should be telling you that.

Removing the upper intake manifold is a very labor intensive chore and there is no test for the knock sensor only that if it is bad you should be receiving a fault code.

2700 rpm is about where I cruise with my rig which is a 2000 Bounder with a next generation V10 then yours. I'm having problems myself as we speak with misfiring and I don't have a service engine soon lite on either. But I think if you are not hearing the distinctive exhaust flutter then you are having detonation which says that your fuel air ratio is not being adjusted properly by the PCM. The PCM comes into closed loop configuration after you reach temp as determined by the water temp sent to the PCM.
Then you go into fuel/air ratio control as mandated by the throttle position sensor and the O2 sensors as well as the knock sensor. Rather than guess you need to get a scan of your PCM codes. I'm waiting myself for a scanner being shipped to me which is an Eguus 3100 Enova CANobd2 Diagnostic scanner and it's only 85 dollars. Walmart sells them. The V10 is a very reliable engine but it is difficult to trouble shoot without specialized tools such as a scanner. If you want some detailed trouble shooting data go on Autotap.com They have a library of tech data that may be helpful for you and they also sell diagnostic equuipment but it's a little expensive so I choose walmart.

I'm a retired Aircraft and Engine Mechanic and Engineer and did it for fifty years and unravelling some of these problems can be a real challenge and some mechanics out there will take you for a sleigh ride and cost you big bucks without fixing the problem. So, if you have the will try yourself and read all of the data you can get your hands on and you'll be surprised what you can do.

Tony
Old 10-28-2010, 06:59 AM   #38

Hello Everyone,

After last weekend getaway I now have an engine light on.. which I feel is a good thing.. I'm taking it the shop so that they can run the codes and I'll get back to everyone with the findings.. can anyone tell me where I might find the code plug? not that it's a big deal as I'm sure the shop will know where to locate it but I was just checking under the hood and dash and couldn't find it..

Thanks again.
Bob.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #39

Normally they are under the dash near the steering column
Old 10-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #40

Couldn't find it there but I'll look again.

Thanks
Bob
Old 10-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #41

on the right side of the steering column just above the accelerator pedal it's a black cover on it that you pull off.
Tony
Old 10-29-2010, 05:51 AM   #42

Hello Angelino1,

Found it, Thank you..

After locating the plug. I took the RV to our local auto part store where they were able to run the codes. we found only 1-code which was P0705, Transmission range sensor was out of position? Not sure what this is but we cleared it and will see if it comes back. I also I replaced the serpentine belt to see if this my be the cause of the noise problem..We're heading out the weekend for our usual 2-3 hour trip up north so I'll see what Happens.

Thanks to all and I'll keep you posted.
Bob