Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #1

Engine Noise

Hello all,

My wife and I are new to the group and new to RV word as well. We purchased a 1999 Fleetwood Bounder just over two months ago with only 20,000 miles on it. After traveling a short period of time the motor starts to make a rattling noise. It sounds like a bucket of marbles, I tried different levels of gas but it doesn’t seem to help. Could anyone give me an idea of what I’m hearing and is there a simple fix?

Thanks
Bob & Donna
whiterhino11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2010, 01:03 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino11 View Post
Hello all,

My wife and I are new to the group and new to RV word as well. We purchased a 1999 Fleetwood Bounder just over two months ago with only 20,000 miles on it. After traveling a short period of time the motor starts to make a rattling noise. It sounds like a bucket of marbles, I tried different levels of gas but it doesn’t seem to help. Could anyone give me an idea of what I’m hearing and is there a simple fix?

Thanks
Bob & Donna
welcome to this forum.
some questions come to mind...
what kinda engine have you got? is the coolant temperature ok? is the oil level ok? have you changed the oil and filter? do you loose power when it starts rattling?
you can update your signature block with info about your moho.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

A bucket of marbles...Hmmm. How much is "a short time"? 10 minutes? 30 minutes? And is this a GM/Chevy 454 engine or a Ford 6.8L V10?

The only thing I can think is that the engine warms up enough that the cooling fan(s) comes on. The fan is hitting something, making the noise.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:27 AM   #4

I might be engine knocking or pinging if it is a gasser. That would be halted every time you let off on the accelerator.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If it is pinging or knocking when you are accelerating or climbing a hill, then a couple things come to mind. If it's a carbureted engine the carb might need to be cleaned as it could be giving you a lean mixture due to varnish in the innerds which will cause detonation-not a good thing to have as it can burn holes in pistons. Pull the plugs and see what they look like. If you don't know how to "read" them take them to a mechanic. Sooty black equals rich and shouldn't ping, white equals lean and would ping, brownish tan would be correct mixture and melted equals real trouble.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and the rv world. As you have probably learned already the more information you can provide about your coach the better the quality of answer to your question.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #7

Let me start by thanking everyone for their response,Then to answer some of the questions. Yes, the fluid levels are fine and checked each time we head out. the oil was change the day of purchase. The engine is a ford V-10 and I think it's fuel injected. The noise does seem to take place only when I'm climbing a hill and traveling at high speeds 60ish. I purchased real inexpensive gas a couple weeks ago ($251 per gal) while traveling white mountains of New Hampshire and it seems that the noise began shortly there after.. but maybe coincidental.. My wife and I were thinking of heading to Maine this weekend which would be a 3 hour drive from home and was wondering if I should try some injector cleaner or maybe an octane booster?

Thanks again
Bob & Donna
Old 06-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Could be the cheap gas. It definately sounds like pinging if you hear it when the motor is under load only. If you can put in some more fuel try adding some premium and see if this goes away or improves.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #9

Any chance it was Canadian gas?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #10

should I try some injector cleaner or maybe an octane booster?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #11

I would try a couple of cans of octane booster. It sounds like a detonation (pinging) problem due to bad gas. The injector cleaner won't hurt either. Since your motorhome is a 1999 and only has 20,000 miles, it has done alot of sitting which probably means that it has had some "old" gas through it. The injector cleaner will help clean it out.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:56 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
Any chance it was Canadian gas?
80% of the gas sold in the USA is from up here. What's the point of your comment as we have no problems using Canadian gas.
You could try 'lock de-icer as there may have been a bit of water in your 'cheap' gas.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:10 AM   #13

I thank everyone for all their good advise, I'm heading for a few days and will give those suggestions a try then follow up with everyone next week.. have a joyful and safe holiday weekend.

Thanks again.
Bob & Donna
Old 07-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #14

Hello All,

I just wanted to thank everyone once again.. The wife and I had a wonderful weekend of traveling with the absent of any engine noises!! It seems that a little octane booster and some high octane fuel did the trick..

1999 Fleetwood Bounder 32H V-10

Bob & Donna