Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2016, 09:43 AM   #15

A DP is quiet in the front as is a gasser until you come to a hill, then the gasser gets loud. A DP on the other hand is very noisey all the time for anyone in the rear of the coach. All you are doing is taking the noise away from the driver and moving it to passengers. A dp is not a quiet engine. I can start my gasser early in the morning at a campground and no one knows it's running. When I start my Dp everyone can hear it for a long distance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2016, 11:02 AM   #16

To me it's clear that a DP pusher is quieter than a front gas model, however our gas class A is extremely quiet and having a conversation is not a problem. I think it depends upon the manufacturer and our Rexhall seems to have quite a bit of spray on insulation underneath the cab area as well as in the dog house area. Plus it seems to be very well constructed with the welded frame and 1 piece Fiberglas roof and we literally have no squeaks or rattles. I think in your case, it boils down to price. If money is no object, that a DP is the way to go.

Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:09 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
There were may times that I thought the pistons might fly thru the dog house when climbing a hill with the V10 gaser, but they never did. I guess the computer was doing it thing and making sure it didn't happen. My guess is the exhaust was probably glowing cherry red as well. Conversations were an issue now and then as well depending on wind, hills, etc. Now with the DP the noise is in the back and much more enjoyable. You probably will be shocked at the ride as well.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:15 AM   #18

I recently traded in a 2014 Bounder for a 2016 Bounder with the new 6 speed transmission. There is a world of difference in the sound level between the two. The 14 every time you hit an overpass the transmission would downshift from 5th to 3rd(Ford programs them this way) RPM would go from 2200 to 5000. That was a very loud unpleasant wail. The 16 is lightyears better. A recent trip thru the mountains on the KY, TN border max rpm 4100 and we were able to easily converse over the engine noise. I suspect a lot of the noise improvement is in better engine sound insulation but the 16 chassis is by far the biggest improvement. 5 Star tunes will modify the pre 2016 transmission shifting patterns and that helps the noise but the 16 is head and shoulds way ahead of any 5 speed in both noise and pulling power. Cruising at 65mph rpm is 2100 in the 16 and with virtually no engine noise.
z3406 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:31 AM   #19

There is no doubt the diesel engine will be a quieter ride than the gas, most of which is due to the engine being in the rear. Like Rodz pointed out the diesel engine makes more noise than the gas engine, but with the gas engine being up front you are going to hear it more. We have the gas engine and ours isn't loud at all unless you are climbing a significant grade, even then it is not something that bothers us. And I'm not sure why others have said that even going over an overpass it drops down in gears and the engine races to high RPMS, our doesn't and it's all the way you drive them. Whether you get gas or diesel two things, they will both get you to all the same places, and neither one of them are race cars. The bottom line for us was I can do all my own maintenance, and the diesel model of our MH was about $100,000 more in cost. Even with a little noise we love ours and once you get to a CG the most important factor is the floorplan.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:33 AM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Consider too that the genset is normally in front of the class A, so that noise is also farthest from the rear bed. So quieter in all regards, engine noise and genset noise.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:44 AM   #21

Have owned both. Just sold a 2004 Discovery 39j and bought a 2015 Coachmen Mirada 35kb. Reason was, we didn't use our DP enough to justify the price of a new (newer one), but wanted to upgrade a few years. I agree with all the previous posts in that there was little engine noise in the DP. But I was pleasantly surprised with how quiet the Mirada is while driving in high gear. Engine noise just a little louder than DP..........till it shifts down for a hill. Then, if you like the sound of a muscle car, you'll like it. There is room for more insulation, and I'm going to add some to it. Wind noise and rattles were far better on the Mirada, almost nonexistent vs quite bad on the old one. 11 years newer with 2500 miles vs 37000 miles I suppose. No doubt the diesel was nicer to drive, but it depends how much your going to use it. My philosolphy was, if you're going to tour long distance for longish periods of time, buck up for a DP. If you do short camping trips, or drive a while, then park for for long periods of time a gasser will be more than adequate. We looked at some gassers that were bigger inside, and nicer, than entry level DP's. And a lot less expensive. It all depends on what you want/need. Have fun looking at both!
Old 03-31-2016, 11:52 AM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_snowbird View Post
DW and I have a 2012 Greyhawk 31DS Class C, and like it a lot, but are considering moving to a class A coach for several reasons.

One of the reasons for the change is to get reduced noise in the coach while in motion - the engine and road noise in a Class C is pretty loud (I know, it is a truck after all ). My question is about the noise level in the front half of the coach in a Cl A DP vs. that in a gasser. One would instinctively think the DP with the rear engine would be quieter, but I don't know if that is true. Also is the Cl A gasser quieter than a Cl C?

Any input from folks who have experience with both types of coach would be much appreciated.

I would never consider a class A gasser! When we are cruising down the road we can barely hear the engine!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:04 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not all gassers are noisy, mine is so quiet I can't hear it at all.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:13 PM   #24

My DP is really quiet. It's also very quiet for the passengers unless they are actually in the bedroom while underway. Even then my wife has no problems with the noise in the bedroom. I knew going in to my purchase the DP would cost more to maintain but just felt it was worth it. On my maiden voyage driving it back from Oregon to Houston after purchase I caught myself looking at the Tach to make sure the engine was actually running at a stop light or stop sign. Driving my DP is a treat every time I get in to go for a drive. For me it was the right choice. Either way you go it will be a blast.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:18 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Island Mac View Post
Loved the unit, could not hear wife while driving!! At the Springs, traded for a Travel Supreme (38') DP. Now I can easily hear her !!
Old 03-31-2016, 12:40 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
A DP is quiet in the front as is a gasser until you come to a hill, then the gasser gets loud. A DP on the other hand is very noisey all the time for anyone in the rear of the coach. All you are doing is taking the noise away from the driver and moving it to passengers. A dp is not a quiet engine. I can start my gasser early in the morning at a campground and no one knows it's running. When I start my Dp everyone can hear it for a long distance.
Well said.

OP, if your SO sits up front with you while driving, then a DP is going to be so much quieter but if your SO likes to sleep in the back while you drive, then they may end up not liking the DP...it will be louder (and maybe warmer).
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:47 PM   #27

We have a 36 ft gasser . I guess it doesn't bother us . It has headers & a free flowing muffler , I can here the light burble of the tail pipe while cruising , but it's not annoying to us . Going up hills it can get loud , but hasn't been a real issue. I guess if I was climbing a long steep grade it would get annoying . So far were good.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I would never consider a class A gasser! When we are cruising down the road we can barely hear the engine!
Have you driven a newer Class A gasser? OP asks for input from those who have experience with both.

Tags
engine, gas, noise