Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #43
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"z3406"....If you would READ the prior posts before responding and challenging me to fight, like the one that is just two above yours, you would realize I wasn't responding to your post.

Some people are so set on proving their coach is as quiet as a DP they make all kinds of statements. Don't forget, most DP owners owned a gasser before the DP. One of many reasons people buy a DP is to get away from the engine noise.

My sister just bought a 2016 Southwind with the new Ford chassis and 6 speed. It's still loud.

We had a Class C gasser and a Class A gasser. The noise never really bothered me. The heat from the engine cover, especially near my right foot was more of an issue. After doing double insulation with a kit that Camping World use to sell, I eliminated the heat problems, reduced the noise, but would never claim it was as quiet as a DP when climbing a grade under WOT. When climbing, we would just hold off on conversation and turn the radio up so we could hear it.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"z3406"....If you would READ the prior posts before responding and challenging me to fight, like the one that is just two above yours, you would realize I wasn't responding to your post.

Some people are so set on proving their coach is as quiet as a DP they make all kinds of statements. Don't forget, most DP owners owned a gasser before the DP. One of many reasons people buy a DP is to get away from the engine noise.

My sister just bought a 2016 Southwind with the new Ford chassis and 6 speed. It's still loud.

We had a Class C gasser and a Class A gasser. The noise never really bothered me. The heat from the engine cover, especially near my right foot was more of an issue. After doing double insulation with a kit that Camping World use to sell, I eliminated the heat problems, reduced the noise, but would never claim it was as quiet as a DP when climbing a grade under WOT. When climbing, we would just hold off on conversation and turn the radio up so we could hear it.
You should have quoted who you were responding to.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #45

I think the OP asked which is quieter to drive, a Class C gasser, A Class A gasser, or a Class A DP. The short answer is the Class A DP. Now he can price and decide if he wants to spend the $$$ for the DP. As I posted earlier, it all depends how, and how much you will use it. Good luck and ignore all of the rhetoric.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #46

Country Coach Owners Club
I've owned a gas powered Class A, a diesel powered Class C, and a diesel pusher. I've test driven newer gas Class As and newer DPs. My choice for noise and power and overall comfort will be a DP. Test drive some models. Your experiences may vary from mine. We each have our preferences. Your perception of comfortable noise levels will, no doubt, differ from mine. There is no perfect answer.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT 525HP engine being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
I don't agree with the idea that a DP is colder to drive in the winter. We often drive ours in cold weather. Between the dash heat and the two furnaces, it is always a comfortable 72 degrees in the coach. The coldest I've driven in cold weather so far is 16 degrees and we were quite comfortable.

Where sound level comes into play, there is no comparison. A diesel is much quieter inside than a gas coach, especially in the mountains. The difference? 2,000 RPM 35 feet behind you or 5,000 RPM 12 inches from your feet!
With the furnaces or heat pumps on, it is fine. My gas coach had plenty of heat from the engine alone. Just saying that the dash heater on the dp does not put out a lot of heat.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Always interesting to read these debates. I am a first time RV'er, I have a 2016 Bounder 36' V-10 Gas coach. I have never owned a DP but have many friends that have. It's not rocket science, its Physics. Your sitting on a V-10 engine in the gasser and while at WOT (2015 5SPEED 5000rpm, 2016 6 speed, 4100rpm), while the DP will be 30 plus feet behind you and AT WOT around 1900-2100RPM. The DP will be quieter in the cockpit period. It is loud for the 2-5 Minutes you may be climbing that 6% or better grade. I paid a little over 120K New, a DP (new) would have been 180K+ for the same "COACH" amenities. I am not a full timer either so for the 60-80K I saved in my pocket I am totally happy and will be fine with the increase noise while climbing a hill once in a while. Like Z said at normal roads, I am at 2200 RPM at 65MPH and I can barely hear the engine.

To the OP if noise is your #1 concern then look at new or used diesles that meet your other needs, If you want to know if the newer gassers are quieter than your OLD "C" I would highly suggest you drive one of the new 6 speed and then judge your noise issue.

Good Luck
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:25 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
You should have quoted who you were responding to.
Go and read the post again, he didn't quote anyone but appears to have been responding to UFO Pilot.

Anyway like said before you get what you pay for. I think how the MH is engineered to the chassis has a lot to do with how your MH will perform including the noise level. The newer Ford Chassis(not just the 2016) are significantly better than the older ones. Ours for example you can barely hear the engine when travelling on normal Highway terrain and the engine is cruising along at about 2200 RPM@ 62-65 mph, when you hit a significant grade the noise level rises along with the RPMs, but certainly not to where you can't have a normal conversation. Same on the downgrade but the MH is easily controlled by using the Tow Haul mode with very little if any braking. We don't get any heat from the engine housing, and the area around it is not even warm to the touch, so it must be very well insulated and the engine heat dissipated by design. As to wind noise, we get very little but whether it's a DP or Gasser is not going to change that, again how the MH is designed, ie build, dual pane windows ect. We would have went new either way but $100,000 more for basically the same amenities didn't make sense for us, as well as me being able to do all my own maintenance. Neither is right or wrong just depends which you like better and what works best for you.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
I have no earthly idea what or where Grapevine is. If your going to call me a liar I'ld prefer you did that face to face. You did see me suggest that taking a test drive is the best way to see how much quieter the new 6 speeds can be. BTW WOT on a 16 6 speed is 4100 rpm.
There is a thing called progress and frankly using an older workhorse as your basis for comparison is making anything you are saying laughable.

http://static.boxrec.com/thumb/8/81/...calsBoxing.jpg

LOL
Old 04-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Go and read the post again, he didn't quote anyone but appears to have been responding to UFO Pilot.

Anyway like said before you get what you pay for. I think how the MH is engineered to the chassis has a lot to do with how your MH will perform including the noise level. The newer Ford Chassis(not just the 2016) are significantly better than the older ones. Ours for example you can barely hear the engine when travelling on normal Highway terrain and the engine is cruising along at about 2200 RPM@ 62-65 mph, when you hit a significant grade the noise level rises along with the RPMs, but certainly not to where you can't have a normal conversation. Same on the downgrade but the MH is easily controlled by using the Tow Haul mode with very little if any braking. We don't get any heat from the engine housing, and the area around it is not even warm to the touch, so it must be very well insulated and the engine heat dissipated by design. As to wind noise, we get very little but whether it's a DP or Gasser is not going to change that, again how the MH is designed, ie build, dual pane windows ect. We would have went new either way but $100,000 more for basically the same amenities didn't make sense for us, as well as me being able to do all my own maintenance. Neither is right or wrong just depends which you like better and what works best for you.
If he was responding to me, I was merely pointing out the my REAR ENGINE GASSER is as quiet as a DP, nothing more.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #52

Geez everyone is in such a good mood today . I just read in the latest edition of Motorhome Magazine that the new class a gassers are WAY quieter than the DP class A's. They used decibal meters and the results were not even close.

APRIL FOOLS
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #53

Forest River Owners Club
While this post was abt DP vs Gasser noise (it's a given the diesel is quieter), there are additional things to consider:

- smoother ride in a diesel due to air bags
- more torque in most diesels which makes climbing soooo much easier
- engine brake makes coming down soooo much easier
- basement storage usually larger in a diesel

Having owned a gasser with the V10 engine and now driving a diesel class A I can say I'd never go back to a gasser.... You can pick up a really nice diesel for a great price - trust me I know because I did....
Old 04-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #54
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been curious about something related here if I may. If this needs to be another thread I'll start one later. Or do some searching.

Has anyone had experience with the Newmar Grand Star? I've been wondering about that coach with the front end diesel. I know it hasn't been produced for several years. But I have seen a couple for sale out there and it got me wondering about noise and overall about the unit. I would test one out but they're no where near me at the present time. They had a unique floor plan too.

Regards,
W.D.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
He means the 2016's are quieter than the older gassers.
Agree.. I recently upgraded from a 2015 to a 2016 and the new 6-speed transmission does a much better job at controlling the high RPMs going up long/steep hills.
tholtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
If he was responding to me, I was merely pointing out the my REAR ENGINE GASSER is as quiet as a DP, nothing more.
I was just going by what he said in his response. I agree with you, and have no complaints with our Gas model. It's all where the engine is on the chassis that determines the noise level. A baby could sleep in our bed while traveling and there is no noise to speak of. Even with ours up front the noise is not enough to bother us and it will get us everywhere a diesel will.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, gas, noise