Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #43
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
 
Dutch Star Don's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Moorpark, Ca.
Posts: 9,281
"z3406"....If you would READ the prior posts before responding and challenging me to fight, like the one that is just two above yours, you would realize I wasn't responding to your post.

Some people are so set on proving their coach is as quiet as a DP they make all kinds of statements. Don't forget, most DP owners owned a gasser before the DP. One of many reasons people buy a DP is to get away from the engine noise.

My sister just bought a 2016 Southwind with the new Ford chassis and 6 speed. It's still loud.

We had a Class C gasser and a Class A gasser. The noise never really bothered me. The heat from the engine cover, especially near my right foot was more of an issue. After doing double insulation with a kit that Camping World use to sell, I eliminated the heat problems, reduced the noise, but would never claim it was as quiet as a DP when climbing a grade under WOT. When climbing, we would just hold off on conversation and turn the radio up so we could hear it.
__________________

__________________
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
F4Gary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Grapevine, Tx
Posts: 937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"z3406"....If you would READ the prior posts before responding and challenging me to fight, like the one that is just two above yours, you would realize I wasn't responding to your post.

Some people are so set on proving their coach is as quiet as a DP they make all kinds of statements. Don't forget, most DP owners owned a gasser before the DP. One of many reasons people buy a DP is to get away from the engine noise.

My sister just bought a 2016 Southwind with the new Ford chassis and 6 speed. It's still loud.

We had a Class C gasser and a Class A gasser. The noise never really bothered me. The heat from the engine cover, especially near my right foot was more of an issue. After doing double insulation with a kit that Camping World use to sell, I eliminated the heat problems, reduced the noise, but would never claim it was as quiet as a DP when climbing a grade under WOT. When climbing, we would just hold off on conversation and turn the radio up so we could hear it.
You should have quoted who you were responding to.
__________________

__________________
2004 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS W20
ReadyBrute Elite towing an '07 CRV
F4Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:43 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 102
I think the OP asked which is quieter to drive, a Class C gasser, A Class A gasser, or a Class A DP. The short answer is the Class A DP. Now he can price and decide if he wants to spend the $$$ for the DP. As I posted earlier, it all depends how, and how much you will use it. Good luck and ignore all of the rhetoric.
__________________
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
CarlAda's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Medford, OR
Posts: 650
I've owned a gas powered Class A, a diesel powered Class C, and a diesel pusher. I've test driven newer gas Class As and newer DPs. My choice for noise and power and overall comfort will be a DP. Test drive some models. Your experiences may vary from mine. We each have our preferences. Your perception of comfortable noise levels will, no doubt, differ from mine. There is no perfect answer.
__________________
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT 525HP engine being pushed by a 2007 Cadillac CTS (4 down)
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
znt1186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
I don't agree with the idea that a DP is colder to drive in the winter. We often drive ours in cold weather. Between the dash heat and the two furnaces, it is always a comfortable 72 degrees in the coach. The coldest I've driven in cold weather so far is 16 degrees and we were quite comfortable.

Where sound level comes into play, there is no comparison. A diesel is much quieter inside than a gas coach, especially in the mountains. The difference? 2,000 RPM 35 feet behind you or 5,000 RPM 12 inches from your feet!
With the furnaces or heat pumps on, it is fine. My gas coach had plenty of heat from the engine alone. Just saying that the dash heater on the dp does not put out a lot of heat.
__________________
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Dennis Dean's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 836
Always interesting to read these debates. I am a first time RV'er, I have a 2016 Bounder 36' V-10 Gas coach. I have never owned a DP but have many friends that have. It's not rocket science, its Physics. Your sitting on a V-10 engine in the gasser and while at WOT (2015 5SPEED 5000rpm, 2016 6 speed, 4100rpm), while the DP will be 30 plus feet behind you and AT WOT around 1900-2100RPM. The DP will be quieter in the cockpit period. It is loud for the 2-5 Minutes you may be climbing that 6% or better grade. I paid a little over 120K New, a DP (new) would have been 180K+ for the same "COACH" amenities. I am not a full timer either so for the 60-80K I saved in my pocket I am totally happy and will be fine with the increase noise while climbing a hill once in a while. Like Z said at normal roads, I am at 2200 RPM at 65MPH and I can barely hear the engine.

To the OP if noise is your #1 concern then look at new or used diesles that meet your other needs, If you want to know if the newer gassers are quieter than your OLD "C" I would highly suggest you drive one of the new 6 speed and then judge your noise issue.

Good Luck
__________________
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:25 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
You should have quoted who you were responding to.
Go and read the post again, he didn't quote anyone but appears to have been responding to UFO Pilot.

Anyway like said before you get what you pay for. I think how the MH is engineered to the chassis has a lot to do with how your MH will perform including the noise level. The newer Ford Chassis(not just the 2016) are significantly better than the older ones. Ours for example you can barely hear the engine when travelling on normal Highway terrain and the engine is cruising along at about 2200 RPM@ 62-65 mph, when you hit a significant grade the noise level rises along with the RPMs, but certainly not to where you can't have a normal conversation. Same on the downgrade but the MH is easily controlled by using the Tow Haul mode with very little if any braking. We don't get any heat from the engine housing, and the area around it is not even warm to the touch, so it must be very well insulated and the engine heat dissipated by design. As to wind noise, we get very little but whether it's a DP or Gasser is not going to change that, again how the MH is designed, ie build, dual pane windows ect. We would have went new either way but $100,000 more for basically the same amenities didn't make sense for us, as well as me being able to do all my own maintenance. Neither is right or wrong just depends which you like better and what works best for you.
__________________
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
rver98's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
I have no earthly idea what or where Grapevine is. If your going to call me a liar I'ld prefer you did that face to face. You did see me suggest that taking a test drive is the best way to see how much quieter the new 6 speeds can be. BTW WOT on a 16 6 speed is 4100 rpm.
There is a thing called progress and frankly using an older workhorse as your basis for comparison is making anything you are saying laughable.

http://static.boxrec.com/thumb/8/81/...calsBoxing.jpg

LOL
__________________
05 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QDH Cat 350+ ScanGuage D
MP-8, Aero Muffler, AFE Filter, Koni FSD, MCU's, Reflex SS, Ready Brake Elite, Ford F150 4x4 EcoBoost
rver98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
UFO Pilot's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 4,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Go and read the post again, he didn't quote anyone but appears to have been responding to UFO Pilot.

Anyway like said before you get what you pay for. I think how the MH is engineered to the chassis has a lot to do with how your MH will perform including the noise level. The newer Ford Chassis(not just the 2016) are significantly better than the older ones. Ours for example you can barely hear the engine when travelling on normal Highway terrain and the engine is cruising along at about 2200 RPM@ 62-65 mph, when you hit a significant grade the noise level rises along with the RPMs, but certainly not to where you can't have a normal conversation. Same on the downgrade but the MH is easily controlled by using the Tow Haul mode with very little if any braking. We don't get any heat from the engine housing, and the area around it is not even warm to the touch, so it must be very well insulated and the engine heat dissipated by design. As to wind noise, we get very little but whether it's a DP or Gasser is not going to change that, again how the MH is designed, ie build, dual pane windows ect. We would have went new either way but $100,000 more for basically the same amenities didn't make sense for us, as well as me being able to do all my own maintenance. Neither is right or wrong just depends which you like better and what works best for you.
If he was responding to me, I was merely pointing out the my REAR ENGINE GASSER is as quiet as a DP, nothing more.
__________________
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,067
Geez everyone is in such a good mood today . I just read in the latest edition of Motorhome Magazine that the new class a gassers are WAY quieter than the DP class A's. They used decibal meters and the results were not even close.

APRIL FOOLS
__________________
2002 Newmar Kountry Star 3669
Freightliner 300HP Cummins
Towing 2014 Honda CRV EX-L & 2010 Tundra W/Remco DD
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
ernest917's Avatar
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodville, TX
Posts: 557
While this post was abt DP vs Gasser noise (it's a given the diesel is quieter), there are additional things to consider:

- smoother ride in a diesel due to air bags
- more torque in most diesels which makes climbing soooo much easier
- engine brake makes coming down soooo much easier
- basement storage usually larger in a diesel

Having owned a gasser with the V10 engine and now driving a diesel class A I can say I'd never go back to a gasser.... You can pick up a really nice diesel for a great price - trust me I know because I did....
__________________
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #54
RV Enthusiast
 
Electra 225's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,031
I've been curious about something related here if I may. If this needs to be another thread I'll start one later. Or do some searching.

Has anyone had experience with the Newmar Grand Star? I've been wondering about that coach with the front end diesel. I know it hasn't been produced for several years. But I have seen a couple for sale out there and it got me wondering about noise and overall about the unit. I would test one out but they're no where near me at the present time. They had a unique floor plan too.

Regards,
W.D.
__________________
Electra 225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #55
Member
 
tholtman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
He means the 2016's are quieter than the older gassers.
Agree.. I recently upgraded from a 2015 to a 2016 and the new 6-speed transmission does a much better job at controlling the high RPMs going up long/steep hills.
__________________
______________________________________
2016 Allegro 36LA / 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Newbie trying to absorb all I can
tholtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:42 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
If he was responding to me, I was merely pointing out the my REAR ENGINE GASSER is as quiet as a DP, nothing more.
I was just going by what he said in his response. I agree with you, and have no complaints with our Gas model. It's all where the engine is on the chassis that determines the noise level. A baby could sleep in our bed while traveling and there is no noise to speak of. Even with ours up front the noise is not enough to bother us and it will get us everywhere a diesel will.
__________________

__________________
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
engine, gas, noise



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gasser engine braking Brandonrv Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum 17 02-15-2016 09:28 AM
2009 Chevy or GMC Gasser RKamperRV Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 28 03-25-2009 04:59 PM
Proud new owner of a used Mountain Aire Gasser Rhonda in NC Newmar Owner's Forum 29 02-19-2007 01:53 AM
2002 KS gasser swaying-fix???? Phelpo Newmar Owner's Forum 9 02-14-2006 03:44 PM
Too much engine heat and engine noise rver1776 Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 4 08-01-2005 08:21 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.