Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Omg it's horrible . That should be a noise violation.

Just me being sarcastic . I personally don't think that's bad . Maybe it's because I've been around racing all my life .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #72

Freightliner Owners Club
We've had all three. The DP is the most quiet, followed by the C and then then A gasser. It's also our rating for handling but not for interior comfort.

mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:56 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
I am replying late on this thread so if this has been mention than here it is again.

To the OPer about gas motorhome noise issue, yes factory stock gas motorhomes can be noisy because 99 percent of the builders do not put in sound proofing material in doghouse and under the floors in front of RV, I spent $400 in quality sound proofing in the dog house, under the driver/passenger seats floors/outside and areas on the fire wall and my noise level is over half what it was, its so quiet now we can talk with a whisper and still hear each other, also zero heat issues..

You can spend thousands more for a diesel and hundreds or thousands more in service/repairs for a diesel to be quieter or save all that money on a gas motorhome and sound proof the front..

Oh yea the 5 Star Tuning also helped with the noise level as well.

My 2 cents
I agree, there are things you can do to make the engine noise a non-issue. Ours came with the added insulation and it is very quiet on a level highway. When you climb a significant grade, it gets a little louder as the RPM's increase but still not too loud to carry on a conversation. We get absolutely no heat from the engine doghouse.

I have heard several people claim the 2016 Ford F53 is much quieter than previous years. But in watching that video that was posted, ours is in no way as loud as that one even when climbing a grade. Again a lot has to do with the manufacturer and how they engineer the MH to the chassis.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't forget a lot of guys are at WOT while climbing the grade. Noise can be reduced by selecting a lower gear and running the engine at a lower rpm. Not everyone wants to be or has to be a rocket to the top.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #75
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
You can spend thousands more for a diesel and hundreds or thousands more in service/repairs for a diesel to be quieter or save all that money on a gas motorhome and sound proof the front..
My 2 cents
You get what you pay for, but let me just say that hundreds or thousands more on service/repairs is not quite accurate.

The diesel engine maintenance is not as bad as you would think. The oil change interval is much longer than a gasser and the engine will last many times longer than a gas engine. The amount of oil is greater but changing less often the gas engine usually takes about the same amount of oil over ten thousand miles. The diesel has no ignition to worry about either.

In the end you pay more for the DP, but the resale is also more.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:42 AM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seriously here, how much of a trip are you really hearing that engine ROAR? Maybe 5% to 10%? If you think I can't live with that there's something wrong. Besides the way Newmar insulated our dog house it's extremely quiet and the wife and I have NO problem carrying on any conversations. Granted I understand the Ford is a bit louder when the R's are up there as I had one but still lived with it. Besides most gas owners don't have the maintenance expense that DP's carry out of your wallet. Funny thing happening in the park we're in here in FL as well, this is our 5th year and in comparison to the percent of DP's to gas the 1st year we were here seems everything is beginning to level out now. ????? Asking the question to previous DP owners as to why???? COST!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #77
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like most of us we started with a tent back in the seventies. Then a popup, a scamp, a tandem travel trailer, a smaller class A, and now a DP. Each move up has been more comfortable. We like our comfort in our dotage.

Would we work our way back down? Sure, if our life style changes and we are going to travel less we would probably down size to a gasser, but for now we both agree that the DP is a lot more comfortable a ride.

It cost more to purchase and probably a little more to maintain, but to us it's worth it.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #78

To All,
I've ridden in a couple diesels, and will have to admit they're a little quieter than our Dolphin, but not at the cost for a diesel rig over our gasser. We just traveled 1300 miles, (Palm Springs to Boise), with our Jeep in tow and never had a problem conversing in a normal tone. Passed many semi's up the hills also. The 30 to 40 thousand dollars saved buys a lot of fuel! But at 7+ mpg it's not much if any under a diesels mileage. We don't carry as much weight though, I know.

Regards, Hamshog
Old 04-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
You get what you pay for, but let me just say that hundreds or thousands more on service/repairs is not quite accurate.

The diesel engine maintenance is not as bad as you would think. The oil change interval is much longer than a gasser and the engine will last many times longer than a gas engine. The amount of oil is greater but changing less often the gas engine usually takes about the same amount of oil over ten thousand miles. The diesel has no ignition to worry about either.

In the end you pay more for the DP, but the resale is also more.
Nobody really needs to justify which they bought gas vs diesel, it's all a matter of choice/preference. The choice is not always just about money either. I prefer to do all my own maintenance, which is just as easy as doing it on one of my cars with the Ford V10. I don't mind doing the oil change every 5,000 miles in my driveway at home, and it takes me about 20 minutes, and costs me about $40. That's less time and money spent than if you had to take it into a shop. But you hear many more stories on IRV2 of diesel engine failures/problems than you do on the gas engines. I don't like having to take mine into the shop unless it's something I absolutely have to. So that was a huge deciding factor for me. If I had grown up working on diesel engines or been a diesel mechanic that may have made a difference in my decision.

Ours is equipped with most of the same amenities as the same size Ventanna, which is about $100,000 more in cost. You say the resale value is more on a diesel, it should be because it cost $100,000 more to begin with, but the resale percentage from the original purchase cost is not any more for the diesel over the gas model. We love ours, it is a nice quiet ride for 90%+ of the time, and once your parked in a CG they all do pretty much the same thing. You do get what you pay for and if you buy a quality gas MH they can be just as comfortable and easy to use as a lot of the of the diesel MH's out there.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:28 AM   #80

Forest River Owners Club
Question..... What price are you talking about for a "tricked out" front engine gasser????

The reason for my question is this - I purchased a 40' diesel FR Berkshire with four slides that was two years old with only 16K miles on it for only $89K.... I'd be surprised if you could find a similar equipped gasser for a great deal less...

I'd never go back to a gasser after having this diesel - obviously personal preference here... My maintenance on my coach is just not that much more than what it was when I had our gasser... Sure - oil changes are more BUT I have to change it less often.... Not even close to thousands of dollars more than that of a gasser... Fuel costs - not even an issue now with both costing almost the same per gallon...

Ride comfort, storage space, braking, climbing power, towing capacity - diesel wins in each category.... Again - In my humble (but correct) opinion....

Go diesel - you'll never regret it.... There are some great used rigs out there ready to be grabbed up... Go find one and hit the road....
Old 04-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #81

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Question..... What price are you talking about for a "tricked out" front engine gasser????

The reason for my question is this - I purchased a 40' diesel FR Berkshire with four slides that was two years old with only 16K miles on it for only $89K.... I'd be surprised if you could find a similar equipped gasser for a great deal less...
2 year old 200K diesel for 89K that's a hell of a depreciation, Most of us compare new to new for price, of course you can find a great used coach for less than a new coach of any type if you are willing to buy used and look. I personally wanted a new coach so for me the gas verse diesel price was significant.
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:12 AM   #82

Forest River Owners Club
Let me give you an idea of the markup some dealers put on their used coaches - the asking price for my coach was $189K.... After MUCH back and forth negotiation, they dropped it to $159K, then down to $139K and finally settled on $89K...

It's in "like-new" condition and has been a FANTASTIC coach for the 5+ years we've had it.... Has a Mercedes turbo diesel so it gets amazing mpg...
Old 04-08-2016, 10:21 AM   #83

82 posts later and this thread still lives on. I also wanted to add that I could have purchased any type of coach I wanted but I do not live in it and we use it perhaps once a month for long weekends and sometimes a week or 2 during the summer. I also keep this in my back yard and shoving a 38 or 40 footer in there was not going to be fun even though possible. Perhaps when we sell our home I may consider moving to a DP but for now I have no problems with our gas powered motorhome. Like so many have mentioned, we get what we wanted to get, that simple.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:39 AM   #84

National RV Owners Club
It's too bad this thread has stirred so many bad feelings. The OP was just trying to gather some data on noise levels. I'll provide the levels for a Old Pusher with a "Itty Bitty Kitty". That data won't be of much use to either Gas or newer bigger pushers, but it is data and nothing more. At best the final compilation of the data will be not only anecdotal but due to lack of controlled testing inaccurate beyond computation. Still it will be interesting to both Gas and Pusher Owners. Not good enough to influence a buying decision but still any data can contribute to knowledge. I don't see this exercise as a challenge to why I bought a Old Pusher but as a chance to get some data for analysis. That's an Scientific approach and I believe it's what the OP intended. If you can't put your EGO aside then don't participate, it's just that simple. Lets try to remain on topic before the Moderators do it for us.
Thanks
Dick

Tags
engine, gas, noise