Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2016, 07:24 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Engine noise - DP vs gasser

DW and I have a 2012 Greyhawk 31DS Class C, and like it a lot, but are considering moving to a class A coach for several reasons.

One of the reasons for the change is to get reduced noise in the coach while in motion - the engine and road noise in a Class C is pretty loud (I know, it is a truck after all ). My question is about the noise level in the front half of the coach in a Cl A DP vs. that in a gasser. One would instinctively think the DP with the rear engine would be quieter, but I don't know if that is true. Also is the Cl A gasser quieter than a Cl C?

Any input from folks who have experience with both types of coach would be much appreciated.
a_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2016, 07:30 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Class A diesel with a rear engine is considerably quieter than a gasser. You can have a normal conversation without the engine drone.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:34 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
The difference between a front end gas and a rear engine diesel is like night and day.
The diesel is by far quieter.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:35 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I had a Class A gas with the V10. I found it quite noisy
especially on hills.
We have a Class A DP and we can very easily have a conversation
with each other......even climbing a very long hill.

Take a test drive in both, if possible, and make sure you are able
to climb a hill. Picture yourself OWNING one, not just out for one drive.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:36 AM   #5

Another advantage is not having the extra heat at your feet in the summer. I added insulation in the doghouse of our gasser that helped a lot, but the dp has all of the heat at the back. I will say; however, the dp is colder to drive in winter because the heated coolant has so far to go to get to the front heater.
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:39 AM   #6

FWIW - There is no question that a rear engine is inherently quieter than a front engine when sitting in the front. There are reports that he 2016 gas chassis is quieter. The issue is really whether the noise justifies the cost differential to you. You really need to do a few test drives.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:40 AM   #7

I can appreciate your concerns about noise--generally speaking, DPs will be quieter than about any front engine RV, gas or diesel[160k miles with a DP, one trip with a class C]. Blocking road noise is more a function of design: side walls, insullation, foam, windows, doors, door location, tires, suspension, etc. Obviously, these design differences vary from brand to brand.
Your question rekindles the age old debate: gas vs diesel and large vs small. There are literally days of reading on these two issues on this forum. Think what it all boils down to is personal preference and the kind of travel you are going to do, eg local vs cross-country, full utilities vs dry camping, etc. Frankly, asking RVers for their personal opinions about what is best, usually result in what they have--few people spend this kind of money on a depreciating asset and admit it was a mistake, not in public anyway.
Recommend you drive as many units as you can of varing design, and decide what makes sense for you--Good luck!
PS--IMHO, DPs are quieter {smile}.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:42 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW - There is no question that a rear engine is inherently quieter than a front engine when sitting in the front. There are reports that he 2016 gas chassis is quieter. The issue is really whether the noise justifies the cost differential to you. You really need to do a few test drives.
Can you point me to the reports that a 2016 gasser is quiter. I'de like to read them
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Can you point me to the reports that a 2016 gasser is quiter. I'de like to read them
He means the 2016's are quieter than the older gassers.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:14 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I can't even hear my DP engine when it's running from the driver's seat.

There is no comparison to gas powered vehicles with the engine near the driver.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:20 AM   #11

I've had 4 Class A gassers over the years, non of which where later than 2005. My current diesel pusher (2004) is many times quieter than any of the gassers. The Spartan chassis has a superior ride over gassers as well.

Go Class A DP. You will be glad you did.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:25 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To answer the op's other question, I think in some cases the class A gas can actually be louder than a class C. I think it might be due to the van front on the C being better insulated against sound an heat compared to an A in some cases. Im trying to remember how loud my Kodiak chassis super C was.........I think it was similar to my A But again the Kodiak was a truck not a van chassis
Old 03-31-2016, 08:36 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
ENGINE NOISE - dp VS GASSER

Our 1st class A was a gasser (38' Pace Arrow). Drove from Long Island to Colorado Springs to see son. Loved the unit, could not hear wife while driving!! At the Springs, traded for a Travel Supreme (38') DP. Now I can easily hear her !! At the 2012 RV show at Hershey, Traded for the 2013 60th anniversary Ambassador 40' DFT. Love the unit and very happy with the engine! I have a full driver license and prefer a DP.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:36 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Not even close. Had a Gasser on a workhorse chassis that was always loud but when those 2 cooling fans kicked in it was terrible. We almost decided to use my aircraft headsets and portable intercom. LOL Sandee said that if we went full time (which we did) it was either a DP or she stays home.

In all fairness there are ways to help reduce noise from the dog house. In some cases folks are pretty happy with the results.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, gas, noise