Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2016, 12:36 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
Can you point me to the reports that a 2016 gasser is quiter. I'de like to read them
There are a number of threads discussing the topic in various forms. Some say it is because of the new 6 speed transmission.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2016, 12:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I would never consider a class A gasser! When we are cruising down the road we can barely hear the engine!
When we are cruising down the road we too can barely hear the engine. Perhaps going up a steep hill is when we do hear it working but cruising on the highways engine noise is negligible. I bet everyone listens to the wind noise in any of these things regardless of where your power plant is located.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:57 PM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
When we are cruising down the road we too can barely hear the engine. Perhaps going up a steep hill is when we do hear it working but cruising on the highways engine noise is negligible. I bet everyone listens to the wind noise in any of these things regardless of where your power plant is located.

I guess we're lucky! We have almost no wind noise!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:18 PM   #32

We purchased a 2016 Tiffin Allegro 36LA gasser in June 2015. It was great and noise wasn't a real concern for us. It would get a little noisy on ascents, but I installed 5 Star tuning and it helped with the shift points which helped with the engine noise. Our issues with it was lack of good engine/exhaust braking for descending grades that we were used to in our 3500 diesel dually/5er setup. So we test drove a DP and it was a lot better than the gasser and not just for noise levels (or lack there of). Ride was better, handling was better, brakes were better...overall comfort was better. From my point of view, you usually get what you pay for so with that traded our gasser and ordered a 2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 that we will be picking up from the dealer 23 April.
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:27 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The answer is you get what you pay for.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:15 PM   #34
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We've had all three. Both our CLass C and our CLass A gasser were relatively reasonable until you started climbing a grade. During those times, the Class A was louder. We've had two DP's and you don't know they're running at 60 mph unless you walk to the rear of the coach.

I know many will defend their CLass A gassers, but you aren't going to have a NORMAL conversation while climbing a grade, I don't care who makes it. I double insulated my Class A gasser doghouse, but it was still loud.

With that said, you probably spend less than 5% of your driving, climbing large grades. You get use to the noise and then it goes away.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:25 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I know many will defend their CLass A gassers, but you aren't going to have a NORMAL conversation while climbing a grade, I don't care who makes it.
You want to go for a ride in my gasser? We have normal conversations all the time.

Of course you can't buy the Workhorse UFO new anymore but used ones are out there.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
Another advantage is not having the extra heat at your feet in the summer. I added insulation in the doghouse of our gasser that helped a lot, but the dp has all of the heat at the back. I will say; however, the dp is colder to drive in winter because the heated coolant has so far to go to get to the front heater.

I don't agree with the idea that a DP is colder to drive in the winter. We often drive ours in cold weather. Between the dash heat and the two furnaces, it is always a comfortable 72 degrees in the coach. The coldest I've driven in cold weather so far is 16 degrees and we were quite comfortable.

Where sound level comes into play, there is no comparison. A diesel is much quieter inside than a gas coach, especially in the mountains. The difference? 2,000 RPM 35 feet behind you or 5,000 RPM 12 inches from your feet!
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:10 PM   #37

I will state this again. The 2016 Bounder 30th Anniversary Edition with the 6 speed has virtually no engine or wind noise cruising at 65mph. Climbing noise levels allow "NORMAL" conversation between those sitting in the front seats. If your in the market and your wallet can stand the strain test drive both types of coaches and decide for yourself.
There are a lot of statements in this thread from the diesel crowd that tells me they have not been in one of the newer 6 speed F53 coaches. There are certainly some upgrades involved by going to a diesel but the noise level is not as big a factor as it used to be. My statements about noise do not apply to either of my prior 5 speed F53 coaches both were significantly louder.
I'll also say that my 36ft gas coach is about the maximum size I would consider with this power train, if I wanted to go any bigger I would be looking at a diesel.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:06 AM   #38
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
No problem, we'll meet at the base of the Grapevine and climb the east side with your foot in it....I had a Workhorse with the 8.1, and you'll never convince me it's quiet enough at WOT to have a NORMAL conversation.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:59 AM   #39

I have no earthly idea what or where Grapevine is. If your going to call me a liar I'ld prefer you did that face to face. You did see me suggest that taking a test drive is the best way to see how much quieter the new 6 speeds can be. BTW WOT on a 16 6 speed is 4100 rpm.
There is a thing called progress and frankly using an older workhorse as your basis for comparison is making anything you are saying laughable.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:50 AM   #40

I don't think he was trying to say his 2016 Ford V10 powered motorhome was as powerful or quite as your DP.
I believe he was merely suggesting that it's more powerful & less noisy than previous gassers , & not to rule them out .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:10 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
I am not going to worry about the noise cutting out conversation, 60% of the time I can look over and the co-pilot is asleep.
Mr.Geritol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #42

A good long test drive is the only answer. Come back a week later and take another one.

I was very disappointed in our 2014 Excursion from a cabin quietness point of view. Our Discovery is much, much quieter. Both are DPs

Tags
engine, gas, noise