Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #15
I myself look for quality and floor plans which suit your needs. Your segment is a very popular one which will always have demands in the market. Spending more will often trend to less loss in time if you purchase wisely. Be picky and know the given price points model to model.

DAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:19 PM   #16
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get what works best for your family. I live in the southwest and travel mountains every vacation we take. My gas RV works fine pulling my toad over 85% of the passes. The overs I just go slower over. Maintenance was my biggest concern as I like to do most of it myself, so working on gas motor for years helped me make the decision. Look at your situation and go with what your heart tells you. Also floor plan, like stated several times, is what makes for a great family coach.

Ford RV V10 5 star Tow tune
Front/Read Roadmaster 1 3/4" anti-sway bars. Roadmaster steering stabilizer
2009 Acme Tow dolly w/ 2014 Avalon Hybrid Limited
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #17
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
In almost 50 years of RVing, I've found that most people in your situation only drive maybe 3000 to 5000 miles a year with their Motor Homes. You will find lots of 8 and 10 year old motor homes with less than 30,000 miles on them. My present motor home has 62,000 miles Ford V-10 30 valve. Still runs strong and should be good for another 90,000 miles. Like someone else said Floor plan Floor plan get what makes your wife happy and don't worry about the engine. It will probably outlast you.
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 31D, Steer Safe, CHF, 50 Amp Conversion, 3000 Watt Inverter, Toad is a 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport. Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar, Apollo Braking System
mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:16 AM   #18
In similar boat with 5 and 8 year olds and have a fifth wheel toy hauler and 1t truck. Works great for what we do, but I'm looking to go motorhome next year.

My truck is my dd, and the rig and truck together r right at 27k lbs and very stable on the road in all weather conditions.

That being said, there is a lot to say for being able to use restroom and fridge while on the go. Yesterday we drove 580 miles and it took 12 hours as were in traffic in 95 for 100 of those miles. It would have been sooooi nice to be in the motorhome with the kids on that long day. Even though my rig is only a year old, I want to make the switch for convenience and to allow the drive itself to be part of the vacation (if that makes sense?). I grew up traveling in motor homes and want to give experience to my kids.

We did 5200 miles last year and will do over 7000 miles this year and next year planning on trip from east coast to Rushmore and Yellowstone, so I can see maybe 10000 miles next here (hence reasons I want motorhome). I am stuck between high end gasser or lower end diesel (newmar). I need to test drive both, but I cannot see any way shape or form the gasser drives better than the dp. I can't imagine going back to a gas truck as the power and the exhaust brake is great in mountains, and this would only be amplified in a motorhome. Downside is the cost. ...roughly 80-100k more for the diesel chassis and engine. If I go gas, I have a feeling I will always be second guessing myself....and that's never good. So right now I'm leaning dp

Try and be realistic with what u want out of a mh and how u will travel with it. Also the finances. At the end of the day, floodplan is most important I think so choose one that I can live with and works for your family
gtsum2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:19 AM   #19
I take very good care of mine and will be sorely disappointed if I don't get 200K miles out of the motor. I have a Workhorse chassis with the Allison transmission and the transmission should easily go that mileage.
2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742 - Gas
ACME Eze Tow Dolly
2008 Chevy Malibu Toad
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:55 AM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
A lot of the gassers are setup better for a family than the DPs that are set for us older couples. As far as power I'm a 31 C towing a 4-runner for a towed and am staying with the DPs on the passes and even passing some to 8000 feet. But that v10 at 4500 rpm let's you know it's there. Price will be 1/2 for a gas new or used, mileage will be better with a DP, maintenance will be double or more also. Oh and for a point of referance I have been RVing for over 50 years with and without family and have downsized from a DP Endeavor so I can fit in national parks and such easier.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote