Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2010, 12:29 AM   #1

engine temp rising

Hi, I own a 2004 gulfstream crescendo with a 330 cat engine on a freighliner chasis. We traveled cross country from NC to CA end of September thru 2nd week of Oct. Just as we entered Calif via interstate 8 at the 1000 ft elevation mark the engine temperature indicator started to rise and about the 2000 ft elevation the check info light came on as it reached the maximum high level. I then pulled off the highway to a safe area, kept the engine running and turned the dashboard heater to maximum high temp. The temp started to descend to normal level. We had unhooked the tow vehicle we were pulling and left the heater running on max high temp until we reached lower level. The temp gauge stayed between 3/4 to max high. We started our next trip and again we encountered the same problem as we started to reach the 1000 ft level.
Can someone tell us what may be the problem and solution? Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2010, 03:34 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You probably have a dirty radiator. Clean the radiator and check the fluid levels of the engine oil, coolant and transmission fluid level. Re-test and let us know how it goes.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #3

I agree; dirty radiator.

Squirt it good with water, but not high pressure. Then spray it good with Simple Green mixture that is safe to use on copper. Let it set a few minutes but don't let it dry. Rinse and do 2-3 more times. If you can get to the front side of the radiator do it from that side too.

Install a slobber tube extention on the engine. That'll keep the oily mist from spraying on the front of the radiator and dirt won't stick as easily.

Also, check the condition of the coolant.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with cleaning the radiator but I would spray it with Gunk Engine Degreaser which can be bought at auto parts stores or at Walmart. It is better than Simple Green for cutting grease. I would spray about three cans worth from both sides let it sit and blast it with a hose.

The other thing is are you manually downshifting your transmission while climbing? On my MH if I don't keep the RPM up while climbing steep long hills then it will get warm and there is nothing wrong with my MH or radiator. My max rpm is 2100 and I try and keep it at 1600 for small climbs but if it is 6% grade then I have to go to 1800 rpm and get high horsepower which in 4th gear is about 50 mph. It will climb all day and never overheat. I have 1750 ft lbs of torque and 515 hp in a 48,000 lb MH. I believe your max rpm is 2640 so you should be keeping that motor above 2000 when climbing long steep hills and I would guess if it was real steep then maybe as high as 2200-2400 rpm.

Check it out here
CAT Engine Horsepower Specifications - Cat Power - Goughs Power Systems
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree, clean the radiator or have it steamed. Watch your RPMs on climbs.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Yep, I'm with Mike on this one, but I have a Cummins ISL 400. I just came over that same climb on I8 a couple of weeks ago and as I always do, manually down shifted to keep the rpm up around 2000. If I don't do that my temps climb quickly in warm weather.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #7

radiator?

Thank you for all the help. We will let you know what the results are as soon as we do all that were suggested. Thanks again!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Just for interest..were you forcing downshifts to keep your RPM up while climbing or just letting the motor and transmission do its own thing?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:11 PM   #9

let us know what the result are when have a answer to your problem.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #10

Hi Mike, we were just letting the engine do its thing. Now we know to down shift while climbing.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #11

Hi Friends, concerning our engine temp rising, we drove from Oceanside, Calif to Poulsbo, Washington and had no problems. We downshifted each time we started climbing higher elevations and not once did we notice any changes on the temp indicator. Thank you for all the help. The radiator was not clogged and did not need any maintenance at this time. We will do the maintemance once we settle down here in Washington. Great to be back!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Glad everything worked out. Did you climb that pass on I-5 going from Calif into Oregon by Mt Shasta? Thats a 6% grade for 6 miles. If you got over that without a problem then you are good to go. Have a great time.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Glad everything worked out. Did you climb that pass on I-5 going from Calif into Oregon by Mt Shasta? Thats a 6% grade for 6 miles. If you got over that without a problem then you are good to go. Have a great time.
Hi Mike, we did go thru the passes, the weather was in our favor and we made to WA without any problems. We are parked here at Kitsap Memorial State park, since I am a veteran With disability I get to stay for free for twenty days, out three days and twenty days again.

Carsonevy
Ed And doris
Msgt USMC ret
Old 11-14-2010, 08:29 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Well Ed if you made up and over those passes then there is nothing wrong with your MH.

That campground sounds like a great deal. Have a good time,

Thanks for serving.