Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #15

Unless the local garage has extensive rv experience they are unlikely to tackle such a project and don't give it to Local Larry's Auto Repair and Used Gun Emporium. A big rig shop probably won't either, they won't have a suitable engine hoist or the experience. A properly equipped rv dealer won't be cheap but would be your best bet.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had to replace my V-10 in 2012. Piston #7 gave out. It had 53,000 miles on it. Got an engine from Ford. Has a new 36,000 warranty on it. Cost was $11,000 installed but had extended warranty which covered most of it.
New engine runs great with 14,500 miles to date. Took a month for the change out. Hope your goes quicker
Hal

Neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Hope Big Rig has some experience in this and can help you. I would not worry too much if they want to use Jasper find out what the difference would be. I have heard sometimes the easiest way to get engine out is from underneath. Good luck
Old 06-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks and keep the responces coming...

We have been out this afternoon looking at RV's and asking questions to salesmen and will call service people tommorrow. So far have not found a RV like ours that is better than the condition ours is in.

The Big Rig shop, (the Name I use ) had in there bay's Dump trucks, Peterbuilt trucks and they do engine swapouts as well as transmission repair and replacement. I saw huge Lifts and lots of hydraulic equipment around. They are a Jasper Dealer in this area. I am somewhat concerned that I might not get the best price while talking to them but they said to call around and get quoutes. I should here from them Monday afternoon hope around noon time.

That is when the decision will be made. I hope no one goes through this because it is gut wrenching thinking we could end up walking away from this coach and never being able to aquire another one. I hope we can get an engine swapped and on our way within the week although we could leave it and come back to pick it up when finished.

Might have to think of some sort of warranty if this is done.

Alan & Terry
PS: No one will take a blown engine RV on trade, imagine that!
Old 06-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Well you said that you had oil two hours prior but then had a screeching sound before it stopped. So did you have any warning lights on the dash before it went. It either over heated and seized up or it spun a bearing. Very unusual gor an engine to just throw a rod without some prior warning. I have used Jasper rebuilt engines and have never had a problem.

No warnign bells or whisles only a screaching sound then dead.......So far verdict is a possible bearing failure. Will let you know if I fing out.

Will definately post what I did. So there is information out there.

Alan & Terry
Old 06-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #20

The screeching sound was probably the rod bearings welding themselves to the crankshaft, when that happens the big end seizes, breaks the rod and puts it through the block. You won't have a useable core if there is rotating assembly or block damage. I would put a Ford reman in it, for some reason these V-10's have a bad reputation............ JB
Old 06-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pivotdoc View Post
for some reason these V-10's have a bad reputation............ JB
Seems the engines are pretty reliable considering the service. Most of the time when i see or hear of a V-10 (or any RV engine) crashing, the owner has been lacking on service and/or they like to run the thing at 75 to 8o mph on the road.

I know of a number with well over 100k miles. A few V-10 in f250/350 pushing 200k miles.

Ken
Old 06-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Seems the engines are pretty reliable considering the service. Most of the time when i see or hear of a V-10 (or any RV engine) crashing, the owner has been lacking on service and/or they like to run the thing at 75 to 8o mph on the road.

I know of a number with well over 100k miles. A few V-10 in f250/350 pushing 200k miles.

Ken
I wasn't aware of any "bad reputation" of the V-10 either. Guess I need to do some investigating.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Engines just don't kick out a rod without a reason. Even somewhat bad maintenance doesn't cause that such as not changing the oil on time. The oils are pretty good these days and engines can go way past their oil change period. There had to have been an indication on the dash gauges or idiot light that something was wrong. The problem is with just gauges you can't watch them all the time. You need idiot lights or a CEL to tell you something is wrong
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Engines just don't kick out a rod without a reason. Even somewhat bad maintenance doesn't cause that such as not changing the oil on time. The oils are pretty good these days and engines can go way past their oil change period.

Quite true... Unfortunately, the guy's stuck and needs a quick, reasonably priced repair. Might as well check with the local Ford dealers. The one in my town works on RV's all the time. In reality, the engine is a pickup truck motor, and running them in motorhomes is pushing it hard most of the time.

I bet the bottom end simply got hot & dry... Maybe due to restricted oil galleries, etc. Only takes a second or two to weld the bearings to the crankshaft, and it's all over... I'm no expert on American V8's (V10's) but I've got a few mangled British car rods & caps on my desk as souvenirs...

I think a remanufactured Ford engine is the way I would go. I know, it stinks, but no sense giving up now...
Old 06-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #25

Last v-10 we put in a tow truck was 5800 our cost for a jasper engine. It threw a rod as the intake was cracked. Driver said it had a rough idle and thought he had some bad gas.and btw we installed over 30 jasper engines in one year and never had a problem.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #26

Do not use Jasper!! Had a friend use them. TERRIBLE warranty service. Get a ford reman engine installed by a ford dealership. That way the warranty is bulletproof and has to be honored all over USA.

A used engine from a salvage yard is a lot cheaper but there is no warranty.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #27

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I've been there.

The engine went out of my 2006 Ford V-10 Chassis. When the engine had 17,700 miles on it, it started knocking.

It cost me about $10,000 plus to have the engine replaced. I was in the middle of Oregon and there wasn't much around us. If we were near civilization I might have found someone to do the job at a lower cost. I was towed to a Ford car dealership. They said they would replace the engine and ordered everything needed. A few days later they called to say that they couldn't do the job. They suggested I have my RV towed to a RV dealer about 60 miles away. Ford shipped all the parts they had ordered to the RV dealer. And Ford said that the new three year warranty would apply even though the RV dealer installed the rebuilt Ford engine.

Kudos to Coach Net for all of the towing. Coach Net wanted to tow us to the next closest Ford Dealer. I had them talk to the Ford Dealer that had my RV and the service manager explained why the next closest Ford dealer was not able to fix our coach either. I'm sure a Ford truck center would have had no problems replacing the engine.

The RV dealer replaced the engine and called me to pick up our RV. It was a three and a half hour drive from our stick house. When we arrived they said the engine light was on and they would have it fixed shortly. They couldn't get the engine light out so they drove it to the local Ford Dealership. The RV dealer was in a different town so it was a different Ford dealership. The Ford dealership said the replacement engine was bad and needed to be replaced. Unlike my first engine that was 6 months out of warranty, the new engine was covered by Ford.

My third engine runs great. I’m very happy with it. If our motor home was much older than three plus years I might have opted to trade it for a different coach.

Good luck with your problem.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #28

This is the first time I have ever heard of a V-10 failing. :-(

I have a '99, and have given considerable thought as to what I would do if the engine failed. Considering the fact that a '99 is now worth 0 zero dollars, I would be inclined to call it a day, and start looking for a new rig. :-(