Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Okay, We made the Decision to go with the Ford Recondition Crate engine for our 2000 Fleetwood Storm. We got estimates from the Big Rig Guy of $14,000, Truck City Ford for $8,000 (Ford reconditioned Crate engine), RV Dealer was $8,600( same Ford crate engine). The winner Same Ford Reconditioned Crate engine V10 installed for $7,800. All of them would cost the Same Tow from where the Big Rig Guy to their location. Okay Big Rig guy was out for eazy money period! I walked around looking at what he was working on and everything had hoods that easily came off so the easiest engine repair and replacement. They did not want the challenge. They even priced themselves out of the Tow by a couple of hundred dollars. I guess I was fortunate to have had a weekend to do research and think the thing through. What won us over on the The Winner was his timing of doing the job. Truck City wanted two and a half weeks to do the work. The RV dealer was about the same. The winner realized I was inconvienanced and wanted to get us on with our vacation.

Ford Recondition Crate engine was about the same price as the Jasper engine. What blew me away was the warranty 36 month 100,000 miles and any Ford Truck Center in the USA can handle the warranty repair.

The Winner was an Independant Engine installer That has alot of RV engine change experience. We are pretty sure that we made the right decision to replace the engine and will do it in a reasonable time.

I am planning to ask for pictures while the engine is being installed so may be I could post them when I can.

Once again Thanks for all the information and well wishes. This is one experience I wish no one can go through, but I hope this might get you to think what will I do if this happens to me.

Alan & Terry
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTerry View Post
Okay, We made the Decision to go with the Ford Recondition Crate engine for our 2000 Fleetwood Storm. We got estimates from the Big Rig Guy of $14,000, Truck City Ford for $8,000 (Ford reconditioned Crate engine), RV Dealer was $8,600( same Ford crate engine). The winner Same Ford Reconditioned Crate engine V10 installed for $7,800. All of them would cost the Same Tow from where the Big Rig Guy to their location. Okay Big Rig guy was out for eazy money period! I walked around looking at what he was working on and everything had hoods that easily came off so the easiest engine repair and replacement. They did not want the challenge. They even priced themselves out of the Tow by a couple of hundred dollars. I guess I was fortunate to have had a weekend to do research and think the thing through. What won us over on the The Winner was his timing of doing the job. Truck City wanted two and a half weeks to do the work. The RV dealer was about the same. The winner realized I was inconvienanced and wanted to get us on with our vacation.

Ford Recondition Crate engine was about the same price as the Jasper engine. What blew me away was the warranty 36 month 100,000 miles and any Ford Truck Center in the USA can handle the warranty repair.

The Winner was an Independant Engine installer That has alot of RV engine change experience. We are pretty sure that we made the right decision to replace the engine and will do it in a reasonable time.

I am planning to ask for pictures while the engine is being installed so may be I could post them when I can.

Once again Thanks for all the information and well wishes. This is one experience I wish no one can go through, but I hope this might get you to think what will I do if this happens to me.

Alan & Terry
I personally would have done exactly what you are doing. 7800 sounds very reasonable for what you are getting, and you keep your rv! Good luck and enjoy your ride when she's done!
Charrua72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Given the circumstances, that sounds like a great deal. Glad you got it worked out.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:08 AM   #46

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's good to keep up to date with problems and solutions that any of us may face. Godspeed.
Okiedoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #47

Sounds reasonable in consideration of the circumstances. Good luck with the swap out and hopefully you will have many happy, trouble free miles ahead.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #48

Good call. That engine should also have a 36month unlimited miles warranty. However, most people don't even go past 100K in their motorhomes.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for sharing! Good decision!
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #50

Best of Luck! Post some Pix! We like pix
MustangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #51

Good luck with your decision, I would have done the same - it's the only way to come out of a bad situation with anything left........make double sure that the cooling system - radiator,fan,belts,hoses, anything related is 100% good before driving away, I think maybe those engines had an oil cooler as well. Heat probably had a part in the engine failure and you sure don't want anything subpar in that area........... JB
pivotdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #52

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am late to the game here but just read all post related to your dilemma. I agree with others who say you have made the best decision under the circumstances. I know $7800 is a lot of money and may hurt the budget for a while but you have saved your assett and can look forward to trouble free miles with a coach you really like. Happy trails
Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivotdoc View Post
make double sure that the cooling system - radiator,fan,belts,hoses, anything related is 100% good before driving away, I think maybe those engines had an oil cooler as well. Heat probably had a part in the engine failure and you sure don't want anything subpar in that area........... JB

Yes! and if it does have an engine oil cooler, absolutely do not let them reuse it.
All external oil lines should be replaced or very thoroughly flushed. Far best to replace and have no doubt of contamination.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the information. I do not know if it had an oil cooler but if it does I will prbably splurge for a new one. The warranty requires new belts and hoses as well as a new water pump and if it needs an oil pump it has to be new, but I think there is one internally on this engine. I am also going to put in resister spark plugs so we can listen to AM without the noise. We have decieded to continue our vacation with our TOAD and make the best of the situation. We have decieded we do not like Hotels/Motels and not being able to cook our own food.

We are very Lucky and blessed.

Thanks for your well wishes and keep the information coming.

Alan & Terry
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #55

X2 on your resolution to the problem! You made a good choice. Safe travels!
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:29 AM   #56

Thor Owners Club
Thanks for keeping us updated. Learned something from your posts. No 1 is don't panic and take the first option offered.......because its likely not the best. Happy travels
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote