Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTerry View Post

I am planning to ask for pictures while the engine is being installed so may be I could post them when I can.

Alan & Terry
I asked for pictures on my engine install as well. I got none. Make sure you keep on them or they will "forget" to take pictures.

Safe Travels.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
Back Home safe and sound.

We Got the Coach back at 4:00 pm Thursday 6/13. After talking about all they did and showing me the blown engine...yeah a couple of holes on the driverside of the engine! The Estimate was 7,738 for the Ford Crate engine 36 month 100,000 mile guarantee. With the need for new water pump,belts, hoses, 4 pounds of refrigerant for air conditioner,top off all fluids and a new radiator; a lot of bolts and nuts came to $9,400.00. Still think it was worth it. It took an extra day because the radiator was welded in place, although there were brackets that could have been used, the Factory or PO welded the radiator in place which required cutting it out with I guess a torch. Any way, no Pictures because they got really busy. This is all they do; replace engines in cars and trucks. I was told we were the 4th RV this year for the engine change. It went pretty well except that almost every bolt they had to loosen broke due to rust. So that took some time for them to do that. The engine in these RV's usually comes out the front or the bottom rarely out the hole in the console. I was lucky mine came out the front. After taking the transmission cooler, airconditioning condenser, and the radiator off , they had to take the intake manifold off the top of the engine; the intake manifold did come out the hole in the console. The engine block just came straight out the front, (they said with inches top and bottom to spare) with the engine hoist. They had the remanufactured engine already built up and ready to install. Thursday I got the call it was ready after the test drive. We drove to a big store lot to transfer our clothes and such to the coach and hit the road. It took us 3 days on the road driving 10 hours straight and doing 60 mph at 3,500 rpms. The engine is much quieter and seems to have more power.

All in all I wish this did not happen because of the expense and extended stays at the hotels. We were thankful we were towing our SUV, because we needed transportation! We moved hotels 3 times, ending in an Extended stay America, great place and great price.

If anyone in the Austin area needs an Engine Change contact Jacob at Patriot Engines. They did a great job and I feel I did not get ripped off which could have happened ( If I had used the Big Rig Guy!)
Alan Terry
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #59

glad you have your motorhome back but 4 pounds of Freon does not sound right. I can see about 2 pounds and that's if the system was empty and did not work at all. If it did work, they should have just evac the system and reinstall the old freon. I will have to double check tomorrow, but if that is a Ford reman engine, it should also have come with a water pump. You should also received a packet with Fords name all over it stating what you have. This would be for warranty purposes plus the VIN number will need to be registered into the Ford system so any dealer in the US/Canada can see that this VIN has warranty coverage on the engine only.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #60

Quote:
We Got the Coach back at 4:00 pm Thursday 6/13. After talking about all they did and showing me the blown engine...yeah a couple of holes on the driverside of the engine! The Estimate was 7,738 for the Ford Crate engine 36 month 100,000 mile guarantee. With the need for new water pump,belts, hoses, 4 pounds of refrigerant for air conditioner,top off all fluids and a new radiator; a lot of bolts and nuts came to $9,400.00. Still think it was worth it. It took an extra day because the radiator was welded in place, although there were brackets that could have been used, the Factory or PO welded the radiator in place which required cutting it out with I guess a torch. Any way, no Pictures because they got really busy. This is all they do; replace engines in cars and trucks. I was told we were the 4th RV this year for the engine change. It went pretty well except that almost every bolt they had to loosen broke due to rust. So that took some time for them to do that. The engine in these RV's usually comes out the front or the bottom rarely out the hole in the console. I was lucky mine came out the front. After taking the transmission cooler, airconditioning condenser, and the radiator off , they had to take the intake manifold off the top of the engine; the intake manifold did come out the hole in the console. The engine block just came straight out the front, (they said with inches top and bottom to spare) with the engine hoist. They had the remanufactured engine already built up and ready to install. Thursday I got the call it was ready after the test drive. We drove to a big store lot to transfer our clothes and such to the coach and hit the road. It took us 3 days on the road driving 10 hours straight and doing 60 mph at 3,500 rpms. The engine is much quieter and seems to have more power.

All in all I wish this did not happen because of the expense and extended stays at the hotels. We were thankful we were towing our SUV, because we needed transportation! We moved hotels 3 times, ending in an Extended stay America, great place and great price.

If anyone in the Austin area needs an Engine Change contact Jacob at Patriot Engines. They did a great job and I feel I did not get ripped off which could have happened ( If I had used the Big Rig Guy!)
Alan Terry
Thanks for the update, I think that's a very good price for all the work they did. Just curious about the 3,500rpm at 60 mph, sounds like your not using overdrive.
Charrua72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:17 AM   #61

I checked with parts this morning and a Ford reman engine (middle part number 6006) does come with a new water pump. It also list for $4200.00. They come with new gaskets, T-stat, oil cooler, plugs.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrua72 View Post
Thanks for the update, I think that's a very good price for all the work they did. Just curious about the 3,500rpm at 60 mph, sounds like your not using overdrive.

Yeah, sounds like the tach is wacked, that puppy would have been roaring @3500.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
I checked with parts this morning and a Ford reman engine (middle part number 6006) does come with a new water pump. It also list for $4200.00. They come with new gaskets, T-stat, oil cooler, plugs.

Does that come with the oil pan also? That is a bargain for a person that has capability or friends to do a DIY.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Does that come with the oil pan also? That is a bargain for a person that has capability or friends to do a DIY.
Ford remans come complete with front cover, valve covers, oil pan. I forgot to check but they usually come with the front crank damper also. Ive seen some come with the crank and cam sensors. Not sure on the 6.8L though.

And yes, I thought that was a pretty good price also. Remember, I was told that price is retail. In many cases there is a little wiggle room. However, the dealer does have to pay the bills so they will need to make some money on the deal.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charrua72 View Post
I do not use the overdrive when towing, that is what the manual suggests.

Alan & Terry
Old 06-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #66

Fleetwood Owners Club
I stand corrected the water pump did come with the engine! Thanks Jamesrxx951 everthing you said came with the Ford Crate Engine. The 134A Freon was 4 pounds and they said it was low. we never used the Airconditioner to be honest. I believe using the airconditioning would decrease the miles per gallon, any one have an Idea on this?

Towing the rig the first time was $348.00 for about 3 miles and another tow to Patriot Engines was $515.00 for 60 miles. I am thinking about checking for some sort of Towing insurance along with tire change or something similar. Now I need to do some small repair jobs and possibly new tires before any big trips this fall.

Thanks for everyone checking this out. I hope everyone will learn from my experience and start asking what would I do if this happens to me many miles from home. Sorry Brockx this would not be an easy DIY unless you did this at home as I think you were suggesting.

Alan & Terry
Old 06-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #67

Quote:
I do not use the overdrive when towing, that is what the manual suggests.

Alan & Terry
There is no issues towing in 4th gear. This transmission is capable of handling the load. It was also used in heavy boom trucks that have similar or more weight than what you are doing. If you get in some hills where there is a lot of shift, then you can cancel OD at that time. But feel free to leave it in.

Quote:
I stand corrected the water pump did come with the engine! Thanks Jamesrxx951 everthing you said came with the Ford Crate Engine. The 134A Freon was 4 pounds and they said it was low. we never used the Airconditioner to be honest. I believe using the airconditioning would decrease the miles per gallon, any one have an Idea on this?

Towing the rig the first time was $348.00 for about 3 miles and another tow to Patriot Engines was $515.00 for 60 miles. I am thinking about checking for some sort of Towing insurance along with tire change or something similar. Now I need to do some small repair jobs and possibly new tires before any big trips this fall.

Thanks for everyone checking this out. I hope everyone will learn from my experience and start asking what would I do if this happens to me many miles from home. Sorry Brockx this would not be an easy DIY unless you did this at home as I think you were suggesting.

Alan & Terry
I use a scan gauge in my 2000 motorhome with a 1999 F53 chassis and I did not notice any drop in fuel consumption with or without A/C. I have seen in this forum that some don't use dash A/C and just run the gen and roof top but that would use more fuel.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #68

I have tested my mh on a straight and level run with AC on and AC off using the Aladdin to watch my mpg and I see zero difference. I will add that that little AC compressor on my Detroit Series 60 is like a flea on a elephant's rear end.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #69

I agree, I cannot tell mpg difference with the ac even on my little 3126e.
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote