Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2015, 06:47 AM   #1

Engineered Hardwood floors FYI

We did engineered hardwood throughout and love the look, beautiful. After dealing with the slide problem, putting runners down under the areas the slides run on, having to stand on the runners to keep them from sliding themselves, cleaning under the slides to remove all dirt. We still get scratches. It takes us 10-15 minutes every time we run the slides in. So in retrospect if we had a do over we won't put engineered hardwood down unless someone comes up with a fix for the slide problem.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #2

We have to use slide material as well. Based on comments by the professionals in the forum (Ernie/Flooritmotorcoach) that is common. I have found that after the slide live in with the slide I kick it toward the slide and the end up sticking.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #3
DJJ

Engineered Hardwood floors FYI

I am not familiar with your slide out but mine is on rollers. To protect my engineered hardwood I bought a sheet of polywall from Lowes and cut to size, it's only about 1/32 in thickness. I beveled the edge that faces the rollers and with contact adhesive glued rubber type liner you line drawers or shelves with to the underside. With the beveled edge and rubber backing mine don't slide on the floor when the slide out comes in.
And, of course I have to take the opportunity to show off my floor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1430580635.478978.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	93160

Jeff
2003 Dutch Star, 3126B Cat.
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:01 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I bought cheap table place mats. Cut one in half then took the half and 3M foil taped it to a full place mat to make it long enough so the roller stops at the edge of the mat. They are thin and easily stored. You can fold the taped pieces over to make it smaller and easier to store and they don't move when the slide roller come in. Love my engineered floors and don't miss the carpet one bit.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:20 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
perhaps a visit to a dealer for a slide adjustment would help
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:44 PM   #6

Slide adjustment

Ernie, when akeyzoo redid his 05 Revolution he reported there was an 8 inch removable metal strip over the rollers. Is this where you make your adjustments?
mocauttx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:18 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I haven't seen that metal cover. I have seen, under the cabinets, the roller top with a long bolt and 2 jam nuts. This can raise the roller, by itself, while you get old material out. Right after I remove the old, I put a scrap piece of plywood under there and then tighten that bolt. Of course, the coach does not move while demo or installation is in progress.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Wood floor

Jeff that floor really looks outstanding! Is that a 3/8" engineered? Thanks
Old 08-21-2015, 05:04 AM   #9
DJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvadventure View Post
Jeff that floor really looks outstanding! Is that a 3/8" engineered? Thanks

Thanks, and yes it is.

Jeff
2003 Dutch Star, 3126B Cat.
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:33 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
To protect our engineered wood floor from roller scratches, I purchased the rubber mat Home Depot sells as a toolbox shelf liner and cut to size.

Very easy.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:32 PM   #11

Hardwood flooring

I was concerned about the floor getting scratched when we were planning on removing the carpet in our 2006 Revolution. Researched alot of differant options and decided on Brazilian Walnut hardwood from Lumber Liquidators. It's a very hard dense wood...we could not be happier with the choice....no scratches what so ever and it looks fabulous..
mconley996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconley996 View Post
I was concerned about the floor getting scratched when we were planning on removing the carpet in our 2006 Revolution. Researched alot of differant options and decided on Brazilian Walnut hardwood from Lumber Liquidators. It's a very hard dense wood...we could not be happier with the choice....no scratches what so ever and it looks fabulous..

Sounds nice, can you post a pic?

Thanks!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:23 AM   #13
epj

We put 1/2" bamboo in our HR. Very very hard stuff. No problems with scratches. Also more expensive than laminate and more difficult (costly) to install. However, no question it will perform for the long haul.
epj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ernie, when akeyzoo redid his 05 Revolution he reported there was an 8 inch removable metal strip over the rollers.
There is such a strip in American Coach flush-floor slides and you can see the rollers when it is removed, but I don't recall any adjustment there. The rollers climb a ramp in the edge of the floor and then roll on the floor itself, regardless of the type of material used. We chose to stay with carpet for just that reason.

Helped a friend with a vinyl plank floor in his HR Endeavor and his slide mechanism has more like a skid plate than a roller. We were able to adjust the angle of the mechanism by turning bolts where the gear rack connects to the outer edge of the slide. A small adjustment reduced the dragging/scratching considerably and the slight off-angle of the slide when deployed is undetectable except with a level.

Different slide mechanisms require different solutions. Lippert, Power Gear, HWH, etc. are all different. And flush floors are different than the raised type.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine