Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

We had a 96 Southwind with the Ford 460 and full Banks kit. Excellent engine and the Ford E4OD tranny was solid as well. My only complaint is that the tranny gearing left a fairly large jump between 2nd and 3rd gear, so I got forced down into 2nd gear for any significant hill climb. That made the climb a bit slow and noisy.

I don't think there is any significant reason to choose one over the other.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #16

What benefits or weaknesses do these Dodge 1 ton frames/chassis/engines have?[/QUOTE]

The only real weakness, IMHO , is reverse in the trans, ratio is too high and backing up with a rig loaded to max GCVW can take the trans out,particularly, if there is any up slope involved.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
What benefits or weaknesses do these Dodge 1 ton frames/chassis/engines have?
Quote:
The only real weakness, IMHO , is reverse in the trans, ratio is too high and backing up with a rig loaded to max GCVW can take the trans out,particularly, if there is any up slope involved.
Hmmmmm, interesting.... mind you, not that I really understand what you are saying.

Is there a "layman's" explanation, or anything that I should not do to reduce the risk of "trans out"?

The 23ft rv is usually weighing in at 9,500 - 10,000 lbs. I don't spend a lot of time in reverse other than backing into a parking spot. What should I be not doing in reverse?

Thanks for expanding your reply for me...

IAN.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #18

Ian, if you check your chassis weight tag for your GCVW, that is total Gross Combined Vehicle Weight, that number includes any trailer being towed. Trying to back up an incline at that weight can burn out the reverse band in the trans.
The gear ratio of reverse in the 727 trans, and it's overdrive replacements, is closer to second forward gear than it is to first , so backing up puts more strain on the trans than moving forward. At the shop, ( I spent 34 years working for Chrysler ) we had many trucks with reverse failures, and tracked nearly all to backing up an incline , with the vehicle loaded at or over GCVW.
So if you find yourself in a situation where the coach won't back up with light throttle application, don't just floor it ! Find a way to get rolling in reverse before the incline, or turn around and go up in first gear.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #19

^ very good point. I wouldn't call it a weakness, but it is something to keep in mind. My Dodge Class C had a combined weight of 12k lbs...fully loaded, it would still pull a Jeep Wrangler and not even blink. Man I wish Dodge still made motorhomes (Sprinter doesn't count)
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
We once had a 23 foot class c with a Dodge 440. Got 10 mpg regardless of how fast we drove. Great motor.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Ian, if you check your chassis weight tag for your GCVW, that is total Gross Combined Vehicle Weight, that number includes any trailer being towed. Trying to back up an incline at that weight can burn out the reverse band in the trans.
The gear ratio of reverse in the 727 trans, and it's overdrive replacements, is closer to second forward gear than it is to first , so backing up puts more strain on the trans than moving forward. At the shop, ( I spent 34 years working for Chrysler ) we had many trucks with reverse failures, and tracked nearly all to backing up an incline , with the vehicle loaded at or over GCVW.
So if you find yourself in a situation where the coach won't back up with light throttle application, don't just floor it ! Find a way to get rolling in reverse before the incline, or turn around and go up in first gear.
Hmmm.... very good to know. I know my RV's GCVW is 10,400 and since I am close to that, I will surely be extra careful if I need to backup an incline.

What about just backing up on a flat road or campground spot, does that have the same impact or potential for damage?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #22

nope. No need to worry. I've back mine up, Jeep and all in tow

if it's not moving nicely in reverse (from a hill or whatever), as Skip said, just throw 'er in Drive and drive it around.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #23

Our first motor home was a 1986 27ft HR class C with a Ford 460 carbureted motor. We kept the rig for 21 years and pulled a race trailer with it. The 460 was terrible in many ways. It had very little power, threw water pump and power steering belts whenever we tried to go over 60 mph, required replacement of the manifold gaskets three different times, and the transmission was rebuilt twice. Gas mileage went down to 4.5 with around 100K miles on it.

From reading other posts from people that liked it I would say that perhaps EFI instead of carbs makes a difference, and the newer serpentine belts would help the belt problem, but the manifold gasket problem got to the point where none of the mechanics would touch it unless I was willing to pull the heads because the studs always break off. I would steer clear of an older 460.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar
nope. No need to worry. I've back mine up, Jeep and all in tow

if it's not moving nicely in reverse (from a hill or whatever), as Skip said, just throw 'er in Drive and drive it around.
Thanks for the information. I'll definitely drive it around if she don't go back well in reverse up a hill