Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
engines

I was wondering --does anyone have an opinion on which is best for a MH--a 454 or 460? I have a 1996 HR Vacationer--just found out it has a Ford 460--runs and pulls great.-Vince

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2012, 01:16 AM   #2

From what I've read, the 460's tend to be harder on fuel. 454,later the 8.1 would be my choice for a gasser( only because they stopped making 440s in 78 ), but that's just me.
And I think the GMs trans is more reliable than the Ford.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #3

I'm with Skip, I've owned the 454 in a 37 footer. Never had engine problems, plenty of power IMO.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Yup - too bad they don't make the 440 anymore.
We bought our first MH in March. It's a 98 winn chiefton 34 foot.
It has the F53 chassis with a 460. While on our first long trip, it has fair
power but I'm pulling a toad. Get 6 to 7 mpg - driving 55 to 60 mph.
Improvements this fall will be exhaust headers and 4 inch exhaust.
Won't give me anymore gas mileage but improve hp.
In this unit era - it has the E40D trans, which isn't the best but is ok.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #5

IN our Endeavor LE we had the 460 it was a 1995 and at that time the chevys were going through a ton of Headers cracking and transmission converter problems. We installed the Jardine Headers and flow through exhaust which improved the power and torque but the mpg stayed at about 7.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it runs and pulls great then that is the opinion that counts.

These are stout engines Ford or Chevy so the transmission match up is as important. I give a nod to the Chevy transmission but have had great service, power and longevity from both.

If she is running strong take care of it and she will last a long, long time.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #7

Our first rig (an 85 26' Class C) had a 460 with a carburator and all the chewing gum and bailing wire smog gear. What a turkey that thing was. We only got 6 mpg at sea level and less than 5 in the mountains. We had exhaust manifold problems (warped and leaking) and the underhood heat caused all kinds of other problems. The doghouse surface got hot enough the melt the soles of my wife's sneakers.

Currently, we have a 32' Class A with the V-10. It gets about 7.5 mpg, doesn't get hot, has plenty of power, climbs hills without a problem. The F53 rides like the 11-ton box truck it really is, but I can live with it. Money is spent on gas an campground fees rather than trying to make it ride like a limousine.

We stayed away from Chevy-powered rigs when we bought the Georgetown because I didn't want the Auto-Applied Parking Brake that many of them had.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had a 454 with 88,000 miles on it, it used about 1 qt of oil in 3000 miles.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Had a fuel injected 460 in my last rig. I put the Banks system on it and the Banks Transcommand after warping exhaust manifolds. Upped the power significantly. Our kids are still running it without any issues.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #10

Our first class a was a 92 with 454 chevy engine. 82000 miles later we traded for a diesel. at that time, we had no problems with the 454 and averaged 8.5 mpg. IMHO, in general the chevy engines do better on gas than the comparable Fords.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #11

The 460 was one of the few really good engines made by Ford. It is actually a copy of the big block Chevy, when they needed an engine for the late 60's Thunderbirds and Lincolns, that put out more horsepower than the 462 they had at that time. But it was not as efficient or smooth as the Chevy.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #12

Since I'm a fairly new RV owner, I'm curious about a 23ft 1988 Amera Coach with a Dodge 360 and a A727 transmission. GVWR is 10,400 lbs.

How do these compare to other engines in this class?

I'm getting @ 12 mpg running at 60 mph. What do comparable engines get?

What benefits or weaknesses do these Dodge 1 ton frames/chassis/engines have?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amera-Coach.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	27512  
Old 10-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #13

We've had a Class C with a Dodge 360 for years....what a great engine. Plenty of power, and great fuel mileage when cruising down the road at 50mph. 10mpg-12mpg. ZERO weaknesses to really speak of in my opinion, just routine maintenance. The torqueflite 727 trans is the toughest there is (that's not just my opinion, drag racers Monster Truck builders prefer them as well). For a 23ft motorhome, the 360 is the perfect choice. More power than the 350, and waaay better economy than the 400 and 440, which we're overkill.

We've also had a 1996 with a Ford 460 EFI, and that was a great engine. None of the problems that all our 454 friends have. No cracked manifolds, no bad valves, nothing like that. 12mpg was the best we averaged. A leaky exhaust donut was our only issue....and it wasn't a bid deal.

Currently, we have a V10, and it's also great! Gets the best economy of all, and it's the biggest motorhome we've had yet.

If a Dodge guy is giving Ford engines props, that should tell you something
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
We've had a Class C with a Dodge 360 for years....what a great engine. Plenty of power, and great fuel mileage when cruising down the road at 50mph. 10mpg-12mpg. ZERO weaknesses to really speak of in my opinion, just routine maintenance. The torqueflite 727 trans is the toughest there is (that's not just my opinion, drag racers Monster Truck builders prefer them as well). For a 23ft motorhome, the 360 is the perfect choice. More power than the 350, and waaay better economy than the 400 and 440, which we're overkill.

We've also had a 1996 with a Ford 460 EFI, and that was a great engine. None of the problems that all our 454 friends have. No cracked manifolds, no bad valves, nothing like that. 12mpg was the best we averaged. A leaky exhaust donut was our only issue....and it wasn't a bid deal.

Currently, we have a V10, and it's also great! Gets the best economy of all, and it's the biggest motorhome we've had yet.

If a Dodge guy is giving Ford engines props, that should tell you something
Jon Mopar, thanks for the reply, and glad to hear that I chose a small motorhome with a good engine and drivetrain.

When you start reading the forums it gets confusing as to what to buy...

I already spent last winter traveling through the US and everything went basically well...

It would be nice to get 30 MPG but you can't push 10,000 lbs and all the comforts of home